Latest & Greatest for File/Folder Encryption?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SueS
Level 1
Level 1

Latest & Greatest for File/Folder Encryption?

Post by SueS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

Hello,

I'd like to encrypt some folders as well as individual files on my hard drive. I am running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. I found a 2017 thread discussing VeraCrypt. Is that still the best for encrypting various types of individual files as well as folders? It appears to still be actively maintained and updated. If I am missing something and it's not being actively maintained/updated, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Latest & Greatest for File/Folder Encryption?

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Depends on your needs, whether you want a portable encrypted container or just encrypt some individual files on your device. If the former, then VeraCrypt is a good option. If the latter, you can just use the ext4 filesystem's built-in folder encryption mechanism, or encrypt the entire partition using LUKS/dm-crypt. For encrypting individual files you can even just use gpg.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:06 pm

There's also encfs - apt show encfs
ImageImage

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:09 pm

There's plenty, e.g. eCryptfs is being used if you choose home folder encryption in the installer,
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:15 pm

... and "finally" there's also gpg as the perhaps most basic solution. If you're the scripting type...

Code: Select all

$ gpg -c file
$ rm file
$ gpg -d -o file file.gpg
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
$
$ tar cv dir/ | gpg -c -o dir.gpg
dir/
dir/file
$ rm -r dir
$ gpg -d dir.gpg | tar xv
gpg: AES256 encrypted data
gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
dir/
dir/file
$

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi SueS,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for VeraCrypt, they have a PPA to easily install this, see link at bottom of my reply.

+1 for GPG encryption for files and folders and truly secure encrypted email communications using the console terminal or various GPG / PGP desktop applications like GPA, Kleopatra, KGpg, etc... Email users could install and use an email client like Thunderbird with its excellent Enigmail add-on, or use Linux Mint "Evolution", etc... and browser based webmail users could install "Flowcrypt" for Gmail users or "Mailvelope" for almost any other webmail email provider for encrypted email.

And, anyone can simply use an archiving application to create an encrypted password protected archive file of folders and or files. I highly recommend installing "p7zip-full" package from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and using the "7z" archive format. All Linux Mint systems already come with an archiving application installed and you can add others like "PeaZip" if you want. You can usually just right-click a folder or files using your file manager and select "compress" to create an archive file and choose various encryption and password options.

There are also many good posts on this topic already in this forum if you search for them.

"SiriKali" is another very cool application that can use various encryption options and does not require creating, "pre-allocating", encrypted volumes like Veracrypt does.

(Solved) How to install Veracrypt - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=275495&hilit=SiriKali

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

+1 on veracrypt - it's what I use for stuff I really do not want others to see. I also use encfs (there is a front end GUI as well - gnone-encfs-manager) for stuff I want to protect, but less so. Encfs is not as secure as veracrypt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS), but each has its uses. encfs is in software manager.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm

My encryption needs are limited so I use ccrypt in the repositories

SueS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SueS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Thank you all for your detailed, helpful and thoughtful responses. I simply want take reasonable precautions for storing information that is confidential and private on a desktop computer. I would like to encrypt certain folders so that I don't have to individually encrypt files and keep track of multiple individual passwords even using a password manager. It's not a work computer. I may also use a usb from time to time to transfer confidential or private files or folders so I appreciate the suggestions regarding encryption of usbs. I will investigate the various options and reply again if further questions come up.

One final thing: at least one of you referenced other threads on the Forum. What is the best way to access those threads? Should I search file and/or folder encryption? Did I miss an encryption or security section of the Forum?

Thanks again,
SueS

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:28 pm

I just use the Archive Manager (engrampa), put the files in a zip, and then choose to password protect them. Quick and easy, no CLI instructions need be used.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:23 pm

What is the best way to access those threads?
I'm probably not alone in finding the search facilities somewhat lacking. One way is in google "what are you looking for" site:forums.linuxmint.com. Or, often quicker, simply ask a specific question.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Software & Applications”