Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DesertSage
Level 1
Level 1

Fixed- Updates Failed To Render on 09/09/19

Post by DesertSage » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm

On Monday, September 9, 2019, I fresh loaded three different laptops (a new Dell & some really old dinosaur Gateways) with 19 Cinnamon that was freshly loaded that day (from a CD I had bought from Mint), and then upgraded to the new 19.2 "Tina" Long Term Support using the Mint servers. All of this loaded and updated software was put onto new "blank" hard drives - fully zeroed out first on all laptops. The upgrade to "Tina" went flawless and all of the computers ran perfectly. However, when I updated the three (3) laptops using the "Update" GUI feature on each, in the tool bar, ALL of the laptops failed to update and just kept lining code in the update window. I started having flashbacks from my Windoze 97 days.

The Update window application on all laptops said that there was a failure to update, and that it was trying to recover, which it never did. After an hour of patiently waiting, the computers never rendered the code error(s). I have never had this problem with Linux before.

Has this problem been fixed, so people can move from a clean and pristine install of: 19 Cinnamon via CD --> Update to Tina via server --> Then apply All updates for all these installs “last”, without crashing the computer?

Huge thanks to everyone, and especially to the Mint developers / programmers.
Last edited by DesertSage on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Critical - Updates Failed To Render on 09/09/19

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Just try again, the repository server may have just been updating. Hard to say since you did not share the error message and/or log contents.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

DesertSage
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Critical - Updates Failed To Render on 09/09/19

Post by DesertSage » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:41 am

I was able to bypass the upgrade failures as follows:

1) Load 19 Cinnamon (clean install)
2) Proceed with Update #1 using GUI in tray
3) Proceed with Update #2 using GUI in tray --> Ignore Failures
4) Load "Tina"
5) Cycle PC power
6) Proceed with "New Updates" that are offered after "Tina" is fully loaded, using GUI in tray.
7) All errors are fixed and "Tina" runs smooth

Return to “Software & Applications”