Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
realreed
Level 1
Level 1

What VPN is best for Linux?

Post by realreed » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 am

Hello guys, we ant to get an business-based VPN for the office and most of us use Linux, some use Windows and we are choosing between the new NordVPN Teams service and Perimeter 81. Which is better on both ends and price-wise? Thanks

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What VPN is best for Linux?

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am

well - - Don't Use any Free VPN
:?
they use your Personal Data as their Cost Price .. ..

the company Private Internet Access® VPN Service is an Official LinuxMint Sponsor:
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
& their pricing is quite reasonable, too

NB: both NORD VPN and Fastest VPN both run fine in Ubuntu and Mint, as well.
NB2: you should also state, just which continent, that you are an resident of,
as that will also affect which VPN company, that you should utilise.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am

I use iPVanish. I do wish iPVanish had a client interface like Windoze has

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 am

Hi realreed,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You should be able to use almost any VPN provider's servers with home or business as long as they do not require using proprietary software and most do not require that. Subscription-based (paid for) VPN providers are better than free VPN providers for various reasons including more available server locations to choose from, usually faster, they provide support, etc...

NordVPN and Private Internet Access (PIA) are considered superb VPN providers at a reasonable cost. There are many other VPN providers to choose from as well. "ProtonVPN" is a Swiss company, so they are a totally neutral country with super secure and fast servers. "VPN.ac" is another VPN provider that I really like with excellent software and in a neutral country with super secure and fast connections. Tip: It is recommended to pick and connect with VPN server locations that do not identify where you are actually located and most VPN providers have a lot of server locations to choose from in many countries and localities (cities, states, or regions).

For businesses, and for some home users as well, I would recommend getting a really good WiFi hardware router that supports VPN connections if you do not already have one (see Amazon.com, Ebay, local business supply stores, see links below, etc...), and set up and configure the VPN provider's server(s) through that, then everything that connects to that router through WiFi wirelessly or wired Ethernet including computers using any operating system, smartphones, tablets, security cameras, printers, internet-enabled appliances, etc... will automatically use and therefore be protected by the secure and encrypted VPN connection AND you will not have to set up and configure each computer or device (smartphones) to use a VPN server. Using a hardware router VPN connection has the added benefit of only using one of the VPN provider's connections for everything connected to it since most VPN providers have a limited number of "allowed" simultaneous VPN users. Also, change your ISP's default DNS servers to those from a secure and anonymous DNS provider like Cloudflare which can easily be done in most hardware routers and computers and smartphones, etc... Tip Note: For portable computers like laptops, tablets, and smartphones, it is still recommended to setup configure a VPN provider's server connection to connect with for secure use when you are away from the home or business networks and connecting to other WiFi networks or HotSpots especially public free ones, restuarants and coffee places, Hotels / Motels, airports, friends and family, vacation rentals, etc... (Of course, you can also get a portable travel WiFi hardware router and use that too).

FYI: There have been recent articles stating that certain hardware routers are vulnerable to malware and or hacking, so everyone should check your hardware routers with these articles and their lists to make sure they are not vulnerable and update their router's firmware if they have security updates and or replace the hardware router if need be.

Google Search for "routers vulnerabilities"
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... fBdGS60mCo

* FlashRouters.com - Great place to get quality secure open source hardware routers that support VPN connections
https://www.flashrouters.com

Various VPN providers that can be pre-installed from FlashRouters.com
https://www.flashrouters.com/vpn-types

open source routers vpn - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi,

It's not clear what the needs are.....
Everything is electric.

wind_rose_2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wind_rose_2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm

I had taken advantage of NORDVPNs 30 day money back offer and gave them a 25 day try on my Mint 18.3, Windows 8.1, windows 10, and my cell phone (Android) and though they all worked out well l found the Linux install to be painful to use as Nord offered no GUI and all changes had to be implemented using the Terminal...not difficult but a PIA...l also found as the month wore on the quality deteriorated. They did have the absolute best customer support l must say.
I have cancelled their service after 25 days and am now using TorGuard..more costly but they do have a GUI and all formats were easy to install and so far works very well. I did purchase a dedicated (country specific) VPN which though incurs a monthly fee l found it to be superior in that some programming l wanted to view (BBC iPlayer) actually worked but do not with the standard VPN package.
Still learning the Linux ropes but would not go back to the windows.
I also found that l was unable to use my Brother MFC Printer wirelessly while the VPN was in use..l would have to disconnect before the computer could talk to the printer...never delved into the reason or tried to remedy but l have not had that issue with either TunnelBear or the TorGuard VPN.

8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 pm

IMHO - the hands-down winner is ProtonVPN - ya just can't beat Swiss privacy,

guaranteed no logging,
fast connections,
excellent support,
easy-to-use .opvn config files or easy manual config setup,
comes with (requires) a (free) secure, encrypted ProtonMail account,
great pricing: $4, $8, or $24/month (don't bother trying to get on the free queue),
20% discount for pre-paying for a year at a time,
no-auto disconnect if the renewal date is missed, your account still functions, they provide a grace period to catch up and send you an email reminder,
optional two-server-hop ($8+/mnth package) connection for an extra layer of VPN security, and
Tor over VPN is permitted,
Probably other features listed on their site, I just can't remember anything else.

NB: if using the .ovpn file setup method for the 2-server connection, then a separate key file is still required for the connection to function - not sure if it's an openvpn issue or not, but creating/pointing to a separate key file corrects the problem. Once that issue is corrected, the 2-server setup works flawlessly.

I used IPvanish for about a year and it was good, easy to setup, easy to use, and best of all: their support generously refunded a full year's payment when I cancelled a month after I paid for another year. Still, when I tried Proton I was an instant convert.

I know this probably reads like a paid promo, but I'm not paid or comped by them, at all, or in any way; I'm just appreciative of companies make a real effort to provide security and privacy to their users.

Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Pippin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Hi,

It's not clear what the needs are.....
Everything is electric.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:49 pm

PIA are one of the sponsors of mint (or at least they used to be), so a good reason to use them:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2812
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Shadow in Fire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadow in Fire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm

OpenVPN (optimized through PPA, since Ubuntu and Debian defaults are pretty far behind) is the best for connecting to any VPN that you have access to.

NordVPN is a good service and they support OpenVPN. Check out this tutorial on downloading and setting up your OpenVPN with them. You can easily add your preferred VPNs to Network Manager (GUI) or use the terminal, which is more reliable and gives you the necessary status updates that you can then use to troubleshoot any problem that you're facing.

It's highly recommended to connect to a VPN before you connect to Tor, which can help reduce your digital footprints. NordVPN has specialized VPNs for browsing through Tor. I'd say give those a try, but regular VPN connections work flawlessly on my end.

realreed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by realreed » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks for the answers! Really appreciate it!

Return to “Software & Applications”