Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Nemo bookmarks [SOLVED]

Post by banjoman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 am

I am using Nemo file manager with Mint 19.2.

There seem to be 2 versions of the Nemo display window, one started up by clicking the files icon on the Task Pane and the other appearing when a file is opened or saved from a program.

When I upgraded to 19.2, I backed up my home folders inside a folder called prev_folders and also copied them onto an external disk. After upgrading I found that the bookmarks in Nemo linked to my folders inside prev_folders. Of course I could rectify this in Nemo by deleting the unwanted bookmarks and creating new ones linking to my folders in /home (rather than the copies inside /home/prev_folders).

But I cannot get rid of the Bookmarks in the file manager window that appears when I open or save files from some programs (eg Libre Office, file properties-for changing file icons), though other programs are fine (eg Audacity, GIMP).

So why don't all instances of the Nemo file manager show consistent Bookmarks? And how can I get them to do so?
Last edited by banjoman on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Nemo bookmarks

Post by rene » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Open/Save program-dialogues are not "an instance of Nemo" but direct GtkFileChooser dialogues. Have no other relation to Nemo than Nemo also using GtkFileChooser dialogues.

That said (or, "as such") both should get their bookmarks from ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks. Reading this I suspected you'd have an old ~/.gtk-bookmarks lying about (the old location for the bookmarks file) that disturbed things but when I try to recreate I can not in fact do so. Try and look at ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks in a text editor to see if anything's wonky and/or you can edit it back to sanity manually. If not we'd need to dig deeper -- for now no idea what it could then be.

banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by banjoman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks rene, that makes sense. I have .config/gtk-2.0 containing one file - gtkfilechooser.ini and .config/gtk-3.0 containing one file - bookmarks

The bookmarks file has the correct bookmark locations and responds correctly when I add bookmarks in Nemo. So I suppose the question is, where are the Open/Save program-dialogues getting their information from?

:?:

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm

As said, also from there. Have been testing a bit but I can not even come anywhere near reproducing your issue. Just in case... have you rebooted or at least logged out and back in since fixing the Nemo bookmarks? Although still not reproducing, I could sort of imagine a Gtk-level caching issue...

banjoman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Nemo bookmarks [SOLVED]

Post by banjoman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:15 am

:wink: Solved now - by deleting the backup 'prev_folders' from my computer then rebooting.

Before re-booting the unwanted bookmarks were still present and opened the parent folder (as the actual linked folder was no longer there of course!). I could not remove these bookmarks as the right-click option to 'remove' was greyed out. However re-booting seems to have reset Open/Save dialogue information and now only the correct bookmark links are displaying on Nemo and the Open/Save windows.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Nemo bookmarks [SOLVED]

Post by rene » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:25 am

Can not currently log out / reboot to test if I can reproduce with bookmarks referencing a no longer existing location... but expect so, then. Good that it works.

Return to “Software & Applications”