why are linux image editing apps so horrible?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
billy chang
Level 1
Level 1

why are linux image editing apps so horrible?

Post by billy chang » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm

they seem very difficult to use if ur used to using MS paint...are there any that are more user-freindly than GIMP and krita?...thx...

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: why are linux image editing apps so horrible?

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:01 pm

If you aren't used to the Linux apps that doesn't make them horrible.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm

There's pinta. I can't fully endorse it though as it requires mono, which is something I've never kept on my Mint installs (mono is included in Mint by default).

I would just suggest to keep using Gimp, you'll get used to it. Considering all it can do, that would make MS Paint the horrible app. :wink:

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:21 pm

You can try Pixx or fotoxx, small and light with most basic functionalities that most people use (crop, resize, rotate ect.). Pixx is pre-installed in Mate. Gimp is a great image editor with features that rival Photoshop but is overkill for these basic functions.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Have you ever worked with Photoshop? Have you read all the Photoshop help files?
GIMP and Krita are complex programs that you have to familiarize yourself with using internal or external aids: that is, reading, reading and practicing and practicing even more.

No AI will take that away from you.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 pm

I use Pinta for the "replacement" of MS Paint. User-friendly interface. It's a great program to do your editing and has extra features that you may find helpful that MS Paint doesn't have.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

I usually use Pinta also. When I need to do something that Pinta cannot I go to GIMP. When I don't know how to accomplish the task in GIMP (which is almost every time I use it), there is plenty of help online to get the job done.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi "billy chang",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You did not mention what you are trying to do with your images. Gimp and Krita are superb advanced image editors although some tasks are easy to perform.

You might try Kolourpaint a basic but excellent easy to use image editor in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm

billy chang wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm
they seem very difficult to use if ur used to using MS paint...are there any that are more user-freindly than GIMP and krita?...thx...
ummmm, that is your Opinion, not a FACT.

I am currently using a Win10 laptop simply because it will NOT install any version of Linux "as of yet", still working on this issue. ( the daily driver running 18.3 took a nose dive )

In my frustration of working with images, I had to install GIMP on my Win10 laptop so that I could edit images "easily and like I want"..... I love that GIMP remains GIMP irrespective of what underlying OS may be in use.... for pure Browser work, and image editing, I am managing with Win10 ( gasp! ) quite well, simply because Firefox is Firefox is Firefox irrespective of what OS is underneath, and with GIMP, all is well.... I host all my images on IMGUR so nothing changed there.

I hated the Windoze image editors, pure junk IMO.... but again, we all have assholes.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:55 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:40 pm
billy chang wrote:
ummmm, that is your Opinion, not a FACT.

I am currently using a Win10 laptop simply because it will NOT install any version of Linux "as of yet", still working on this issue. ( the daily driver running 18.3 took a nose dive )

In my frustration of working with images, I had to install GIMP on my Win10 laptop so that I could edit images "easily and like I want"..... I love that GIMP remains GIMP irrespective of what underlying OS may be in use.... for pure Browser work, and image editing, I am managing with Win10 ( gasp! ) quite well, simply because Firefox is Firefox is Firefox irrespective of what OS is underneath, and with GIMP, all is well.... I host all my images on IMGUR so nothing changed there.

I hated the Windoze image editors, pure junk IMO.... but again, we all have assholes.
When in Windows, use Fast Stone: it's really intuitive and offers everything from image viewing to image editing under one interface. Left, right, top click - everything is there...
A program I would like to see under Linux.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 pm

I think you might be happy with PhotoFlare. It has a nice set of image editing tools, it is easy to use, and it has a nice interface. The only major issue for me is list of supported file formats is short - PNG, JPG, GIF, TIFF, BMP and ICO. More info at http://photoflare.io/.

PhotoFlare is available as an AppImage [see Note below]. Go to the Downloads page and download PhotoFlare-6360539-x86_64.AppImage. After the download is complete, use your file manager to navigate to the location of the file and right-click on the icon to open the menu. Select Properties, click the Permissions tab, and click the Execute box to allow executing the file as a program. Close the Properties, and double-click to run the program.

Additional information at https://github.com/PhotoFlare/photoflare.

If you need better file support, consider XnView MP. It is a very nice image viewer with a basic set image editing tools. It is available as a DEB and as an AppImage. It is one of my favorite image viewers, and I recommend it highly. For the longest time I installed the DEB, but I switched to using the AppImage. More information at https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

Note
AppImage is one of the “universal” package management systems - others include Snappy and Flatpak. An AppImage is not ”installed" in the traditional sense like an application or Snap or Flatpak; it is a self-contained image of the application, and it contains everything it needs to run.

Because it is not installed, an AppImage is run from wherever the file is located. You can copy an AppImage to a USB drive and run from any linux desktop. I suggest creating an AppImage folder and place any AppImage files there.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Actually no app, Linux or Winwoes is "horrible" just different. It's like hopping into a brand new car. You know that it will perform the same tasks as your old one, it's just a matter of finding the correct "buttons".

Actually - Windows is Horrible, sorry....I lied.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 am

Hi "billy chang", and Everyone Else,

I just read your post and more of the good replies to it. Here are more of my thoughts on this as well.

We still don't know what "billy chang" wants to do with the images and why.

There are many good to excellent image editors (some are easy, mid-level, or advanced) and image browsers with some editing capabilities to choose from. "XnViewMP" is a superb image browser with many features including some image editing features. "Ksnip" is a wonderful screen capture application that can also open existing images and easily do cropping, image resizing (scaling), and has superb easy to use painter annotation options (text overlay, arrows, boxes and ellipses (circles), image upload, etc...).

I think "Kolourpaint" is one of the best easy to use basic imaged editors available.

In addition to their AppImage, "Photoflare" can also be installed using their PPA or the Dhor PPA by installing the PPA or downloading the appropriate Linux deb installer files for your Linux Mint version from the PPA. The Dhor PPA also has many other image related applications. Note: the AppImage would probably provide a newer version for Linux Mint 18.x users over the PPA method.

To install Photoflare (v1.5.9) in Linux Mint 19.x using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:photoflare/photoflare-stable

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install photoflare 

OR
Dhor PPA - Highly explosive! : Dariusz Duma
https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway

To install Photoflare in Linux Mint 18.x (v1.5.2) using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install photoflare

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:58 pm

billy chang wrote:
As mentioned by phd21 Kolourpaint is a great alternative. In my opinion, it is superior to mspaint. Officially, its name is kolourpaint4 and you'll need some dependencies to make it work correctly (Unfortunately, they're not automatically installed with it).

Here's the list for installing KP4 under LM19.x:
kolourpaint4
kdelibs5-data
kdelibs5-plugins
kde-runtime
icoutils
kubuntu-debug-installer

If installing on LM17.x also include this too:
libkactivities-bin

ajgreeny
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgreeny » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm

I admit it is decades since I saw MSPaint, but from what I remember of it, I agree with Schultz and JerryF, that Pinta seems a good alternative; small footprint, relatively simple, but can do a lot that you may need without the huge application overhead of GIMP.

I do, however, use GIMP a great deal for more complicated image editing but have never used Photoshop so have no way to compare the two.

Return to “Software & Applications”