why are linux image editing apps so horrible?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Re: why are linux image editing apps so horrible?

Post by racer-x »

I'll give credit where credit is due. I've used FastStone Viewer many times in Windows for one cool feature. The ability to batch process/re-name image files. I often used it for specific needs such as creating Image Sequences and Slide Shows. Other than that, I never used it. It does have value, however...

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Yeah, I used the image sequence feature too quite a lot. Also the EXIF stripping. But mostly for screenshot cropping, blurring areas, annotations.
I guess it also depends on how one's brains are wired, when choosing particular tools as their favorites. There's no right or wrong here. Problem appears when one can't find the suitable tools for their brains - they either search other places and jump through hoops (as is running Windows apps in Linux under Wine) or build their own tools if they have the necessary knowledge, ability and spare time.

I'd love to hear about other native Linux image editors than those mentioned in this thread, less known but capable - and intuitive - enough to replace FSIV.

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe »

They are not so horrible. It takes time to be proficient at anything, just like when you began using PhotoShop, etc.
GIMP and Blender are great apps, rivaling the competition (Winblows). Everything has a learning curve, so forget about your prior usage of Winblows apps.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x »

Gimp is very advanced as Image editors go. One of it's strengths is the abundance of cool scripts and plugins that help make special effects so easy to do. Like this example of a python script that paints a path in steps.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Wish I knew how to create stuff like that in Gimp, or any other app for that matter. Problem is, for me anyway, it would take hours to learn how, and then by the next time I needed or wanted to use the skill, I would have forgotten the procedure.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

@ racer-x » Where can that script be downloaded?

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x »

You may want to read through this thread.......
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17569

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Thanks.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

racer-x wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm
Gimp is very advanced as Image editors go.
Yeah, true. But Gimp is much too complicated and unintuitive for (very) simple tasks. And for people like Neil Edmond above and myself, who have a bad memory, the steep learning curve is a show stopper.
I believe the complicated and unintuitive part is what the OP refers to as horrible.

cgs1025
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cgs1025 »

In the old days, many years ago, there was a Win program called Irfranview which was just right for me: capable but not complicated.

Drugwash
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Drugwash »

Actually it's IrfanView. Many years ago I tried it and didn't like it for some reason. But I heard many people praising it so it must be of some good - just not for me.
For mostly image browsing and limited quick editing I used Imagine by Chun Sejin, both standalone and as a Total Commander plug-in. I still use that setup in Mint under Wine when dealing with certain types of files.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

cgs1025 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 am
In the old days, many years ago, there was a Win program called Irfranview which was just right for me: capable but not complicated.
I loved Irfanview back then, and now I love Pinta. It's stable for me now that I've updated Mono. I've been told that it's also stable if installed as a Flatpak.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

back when, IrFanView was the only image program that I would use.

Intuitive, and easy for a guy with "short term/long term" memory issues to work with.

I got creamed by a semi 10 years ago, and it broke the memory bank.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

If you would still like to use IrfanView you can certainly do so with ease using Wine; the IrfanView developer used to tell Linux users to run it that way as it worked exactly as it did in Windows.
I don't know if that is the situation today but if you're willing to try it, it might be the same today.

EDIT:
Yes, Wine is still suggested; see http://www.boekhoff.info/install-irfan-view-on-linux/

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x »

I used to use IrfanView all the time back in Windows too and yes it will run easily under wine. I've done that too before I knew better. Pix is an easy replacement for Irfanview and I'm quite sure other Linux Image viewer are too. The point is be more open minded, you may actually be glad as a result...

I sure am glad there are very good Image and Video editors available in Linux. I have a Win10 VM and there is only one program on it that I use. It certainly is not easy to use either. But it does the job and is free. I can make it run under wine, but that would be a bad idea.

Return to “Software & Applications”