Calendar Appointments [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roncraig
Level 1
Level 1

Calendar Appointments [SOLVED]

Post by roncraig »

[SOLVED] Solved by simply using the calendar app instead of trying to access it as described below:

Maybe I'm missing something but if not then I have a software/application suggestion. . .

In the bottom right (LM Cinnamon) the time is displayed and when I click on it a calendar pops up/opens. I have noticed that on some distro's you may click/double-click on a day and another box opens up to enter/set appointments or displays appointments but in LM Cinnamon this option is not available (i.e. I click on a date in the calendar and nothing happens). Is there something that I'm missing to get this working or is this something that may be fixed by taking a peek at the code from other distro's where this does work?

Please do not suggest that I have to set appointments in evolution or thunderbird -- I do NOT want to have to open a separate program to first enter appointments. I DO want to simply click on the day in the pop-up calendar to see/enter appointments from the desktop where the time is displayed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel: 5.15.0-33
DE: Cinnamon
Mobo: ASRock model: X299 Taichi CLX
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Memory: 64GB
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Calendar Appointments

Post by smurphos »

roncraig wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:28 pm Maybe I'm missing something but if not then I have a software/application suggestion. . .
You have the latter. The Cinnamon clock/calendar applet currently has no integration with any actual Calendar application.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

gnome-calendar is the way to go. why is there no country holidays in any calendar in linux? the simplest things are overlooked. i remember pclinuxos 2012 kde came with a full calendar and holidays from all countries, what happened linux?

Last edited by trytip on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I use mymemorizer.com. It sends to my email anything I put in it. if I put nothing on a certain day, then I get no email. Being as I read my email every morning, it works very well. There is no spam and it's free and extremely clean and easy. I created a shortcut using Chromium and put it in my Home. I can add events by clicking the shortcut.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

trytip wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:51 pm gnome-calendar is the way to go. why is there no country holidays in any calendar in linux?
Hi,

As far as I could see, even in present KDE, holidays are a mess. And there's no easy way to create them or modify existing, as it used to be. Since you're using Gnome Calendar now, as a workaround, you can easily import the holidays from Google Calendar.

Cheers.

Edit: except, Gnome Calendar, version from the repos, is broken. Can't be done. :mrgreen:
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Thank goodness, Orage is still working! :mrgreen: Cheers

mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Calendar Appointments [SOLVED]

Post by mfreeman »

I wouldn't exactly call this solved.

Having to run a full-blown calendar app that covers what you are working on does not replace the ability to quickly click on the Calendar applet to see a dropdown with the calendar and any appointments, and then quickly get back to work. We used to have this ability way back in the Gnome 2 days of Linux Mint. Why is this sorely needed feature being completely ignored in Cinnamon?

Return to “Software & Applications”