Before you post please read how to get help
Stefano_IT
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Disaster after cleaning [SOLVED]

Post by Stefano_IT »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 pm

The last line of code in that sequence will just tell you what kernels are left...ideally you should just have the current kernel running as well as the last known good kernel just in case you need to retreat from a newer "borked" kernel...its rare but it does happen from time to time.
I have a recent installation and so I only get this:

linux-headers-4.10.0-38 install
linux-headers-4.10.0-38-generic install
linux-headers-4.15.0-64 install
linux-headers-4.15.0-64-generic install
linux-image-4.10.0-38-generic install
linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic install
linux-image-extra-4.10.0-38-generic install
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa - Xfce
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:51 pm
A few to add to the list

Timeshift doesn't seem to ship a logrotate config - this get rid of any logs older than 28 days.

Code: Select all

sudo find /var/log/timeshift/ -type f -mtime +28 -name '*.log' -delete
Same for flatpak update caches. Depending on version of flatpak in use these can balloon

sudo find /var/tmp/ -type d -mtime +28 -name 'flatpak-cache*' -exec rm -rv {} +
As I found out recently
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=301644
Cliff Coggin
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Stefano_IT,

I do feel for you...since you have to rely on Google Translate and look what happened. Image :x

To avoid this happening again...I suggest you create a System Image with Macrium...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 and place it on an External HDD...by doing this...nothing is lost as backing up just files isn't good enough and Timeshift is useless in this case. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Stefano_IT
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stefano_IT »

bob466 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:53 pm
Stefano_IT,

I do feel for you...since you have to rely on Google Translate and look what happened. Image :x

To avoid this happening again...I suggest you create a System Image with Macrium...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 and place it on an External HDD...by doing this...nothing is lost as backing up just files isn't good enough and Timeshift is useless in this case. Image :D :D

This would be the best solution, in the past on Windows I always used Acronis (However I know macrium, in the past I tried it)
In my case it would be the data to save were very few, it would be enough you a few MB on a USB pen, but I always postponed.
Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa - Xfce
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:51 pm
A few to add to the list
And one more specific to Mint 19.2 and later. if something is crashing regularly this folder can quickly fill up with coredumps (which are then parsed in System Reports). Obviously you may wish to troubleshoot whatever is crashing before deleting the evidence but if you need the space...

sudo rm /var/lib/systemd/coredump/*
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I tried to use Photorec but it recovers many files without the original name, so they are useless for me.
It typically puts REC as the file ending on those it recovers. While in Linux, if you double click on each of those REC files, linux will read the internal clues on what type of file it is, and open in appropriate program. That will then let you know the file ending it needs replaced on it. Also, if you are looking for image files, dump the recovered files into a folder and turn on thumbnails for that folder. You can then see the files which are images, and add proper file endings to them. That's how I recovered a lot of REC files once when I had to do it. If after that is all done and files left over with REC on them, use bless or some other hex editor to open the remaining files, and at header there should be some tipoff on what sort of file it is.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Disaster after cleaning

Post by Spearmint2 »

rene wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:39 am
Please note that the at this point for you only relevant information is that you deleted your home directory and that if you have no backup, using TestDisk will be your best option at recovering the important bits. It can be installed straight from the repository: sudo apt-get install testdisk; I'd advise some googling as to how then in fact use it; it's menu/feedback driven and as such not easy to lay out in a forum post.
It's built into GParted in the recovery section of it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Software & Applications”