Before you post please read how to get help
bigal
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Getting Base to talk to LibreOffice

Post by bigal » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am

Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit Cinnamon
Libre Office Version: 5.1.6.2

I am a researcher and up until now all of my records have been all kept in various Calc spreadsheets. They have been getting unwieldy for quite some time now and increasingly I am finding it difficult to cross reference or locate various items of data or source details. I have been putting off making the change to Base for some time but it seems that really is the way to go. As usual I started by reading up and found this documentation.

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... tutorials/

which in turn pointed me to this pdf documentation
Getting Started Guide - Chapter 8 - Getting Started with Base - Relational Databases in LibreOffice - 47 pages - June 2016
The first thing I learned is that in order to use Base I need to use a Java Runtime Environment (JRE). This apparently allows Java applets, small programs, to access the various components of Libre Office. The instructions contained in the 'Getting started' guide explain that I should go to ‘Tool>Options>Advanced and select a JRE from those installed on my computer. There are no JREs there. The Guide say that I can use ‘openjdk-7-jre and that it is available from my repository so my next step therefore is to install it. Menu>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager enter my password then enter ‘ openjdk-7-jre’ in the search bar. Nothing is returned.

A quick internet search took me to

http://openjdk.java.net/install/

I found what I was looking for namely

sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
[sudo] password for ********:

and

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package openjdk-7-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package 'openjdk-7-jre' has no installation candidate.

I am now out of my depth. So where do I go from there please?
Last edited by bigal on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Getting Base to talk to LibreOffice

Post by kyphi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 pm

bigal wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:49 am
So where do I go from there please?
"openjdk-7-jre" is not in the repository because it has long been superseded, the current version used is openjdk-11-jre. Previous versions (6, 7, 8, 9) are provided when installing the libreoffice metapackage (which includes Base) from the Software Manager.

The guide you referred to was published over three years ago and may no longer be relevant.

Programs available in the Software Manager are often out of date but are considered "safe to use". You can download LibreOffice directly from: https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
or use the Flatpak option in the Software Manager. Please note that using Flatpak means a 945 MB download but will get you the current version 6.3.1.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:14 am

I use Base, and cannot recall every needing to play with Java, to get it working, so, my thinking would be to start playing with Base and wait for it to tell you what it needs. IF you are familiar with Calc and programming for it, you are half way there.

How much do you know about database programming? It is a different mindset. I found out the hard way when I applied for a job as a Clipper programmer last century. I'd been using dBase and Clipper since the early days but, as I was self taught, did not know the terminology, which meant I did not answer some of the questions to their satisfaction. of course when they told me what they were asking, I had been following those practices without knowing the terminology - in those cases it was Database Rollback and Normalisation. I did not get that job, but I learnt something. If you understand the need and reason for a relational database, you'll find that Base will most likely fulfill your needs.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:56 pm

It transpired that the answer was simple.

Use Synaptic Package Manager and find and install 'default-jre'. This will als add a couple of other packages and once done the LO database is usable.

Return to “Software & Applications”