Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

caja share extension

Post by lewtwo »

The thing I really hate about setting up a new Linux Machine is getting SAMBA to work. I just set a new machine to serve as repository for software, video and backups. To be fair Linux Mint 19.2 (mate) does a work better than some previous interactions (no max protocol patch needed). It has a secondary 2 terabyte "data" drive automatically mounted at /mnt/data. I want two shares on that drive: "Public" and "Private". So I followed a tutorial that told me how to set up Samba file Sharing via "/etc/samba/smb.conf" ... OK that kinda worked but it is complex and has a lot totally useless Windows shares. So I went back and looked at an old 18.1 Linux server I had. It used "caja share extension" extension. I loaded that on the new server and it works more better.

After I setup a share and copied a bunch of file to it, I decided to see what changes Caja-share had made to the file "/etc/samba/smb.conf": that would be nome, nada, zilch. So the question becomes just what does the "caja share extension" modify and why are there two (at least) places to do the same thing?
Last edited by lewtwo on Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com
lewtwo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: caja share extension

Post by lewtwo »

I will answer part one of my own question: "/var/lib/samba/usershares"

For part two I only have this comment: "Consistency is next to godliness .... and this is NOT consistent"

Seems I only have 'anonymous' shares working ... private (logged in user) is still failing.
Edit:
I had to set the SAMBA password: sudo smbpasswd -a <username>
What is the point of having "unix password sync = yes" if the user passwords are NOT going to be synced ???
"Engineering is the art of planning and forethought."
http://www.keywild.com

Return to “Software & Applications”