Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Firefox 69+70 32-bit crashes sporadically, Firefox 64-bit does not so far

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I have got several Mint 18.1 and Mint 19.x systems, some 64-bit, some 32-bit.
Up to version 68.0.2 Firefox worked perfectly on all of them, Mint 64-bit and Mint 32-bit.
Starting with version 69.0 Firefox started crashing sporadically here, but only on Mint 32-bit, not on Mint 64-bit.
So my reason for asking is getting a hint whether there may be some systematic flaw affecting Firefox 69.x 32-bit, but not Firefox 69.x 64-bit.

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
ACE_
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox 69 32-bit crashes sporadically, Firefox 64-bit does not so far

Post by ACE_ »

karlchen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 am
Starting with version 69.0 Firefox started crashing sporadically here, but only on Mint 32-bit, not on Mint 64-bit.

I can confirm what karlchen has mentioned as I have Linux Mint 32-bit installed on a Dell and whereas I have never had an issue with previous versions of Firefox, Firefox 69 has crashed on several occasions, for apparently no reason. Vivaldi has never been an issue. Same for Chromium. However, I would get a 'Profile Error Occurred' message on Slimjet if I closed it and attempted to open it again. I believe that this was the result of a conflict with Chromium, but that is a whole other story.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

ACE_ wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:24 am
Firefox 69 has crashed on several occasions, for apparently no reason.
Actually, each and every crash has got a reason. This applies to Firefox crashes as well.
The reason why Firefox 69 crashes may only not be very obvious to us Firefox users, because we are not able to identify what
makes Firefox crash.
But as a matter of fact, the reason for the crashes, which seem to be random to us users, should be found inside the Firefox crash reports, which Firefox will create when crashes occur and which it will send to Mozilla, in case it is permitted to do so.
I admit that I cannot tell from the crash reports why Firefox crashes, but in all cases the same shared library is involved here. Hope the Mozilla devs can interpret their own crash reports. :wink:
Though they may not be interested because Firefox got from the Ubuntu repos has not been compiled and linked by Mozilla devs, but by Ubuntu devs.
So maybe the crash reports should go to the Ubuntu Mozilla team instead of to Mozilla.

This, too, is a reason why I have started switching to genuine Mozilla Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit on those Mint/Ubuntu 32-bit systems, where Firefox 69.x (from the Ubuntu repos) had crashed at minimum once. Will see whether genuine Mozilla Firefox, got from factory outlet, will crash as well.
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
ACE_
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ACE_ »

karlchen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 pm
Actually, each and every crash has got a reason.
I should have said ... 'for no apparent reason' instead of 'for apparently no reason' as I could not see what was causing the issue but do understand that every crash has a reason and that there are all kinds of gremlins working behind the scenes. But Firefox 69 does seem to have an issue with crashing on 32 bit. It is not frequent, but it does happen more so than previous versions.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

It looks like there is 32-bit chromium for Linux to download from various internet sites. I can't test it right now, but wondering if it might work for you?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

1. Actually, there is no need of downloading Chromium 32-bit from some random webpages. The reason is simple: Chromium 32-bit is available in the official Ubuntu software repositories:

Code: Select all

$ apt-cache policy chromium-browser
    chromium-browser:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 76.0.3809.100-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
      Version table:
         76.0.3809.100-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 500
            500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/universe i386 Packages
            500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/universe i386 Packages
         49.0.2623.108-0ubuntu1.1233 500
            500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages

2. Switching from Firefox to Chromium does not resolve the issue that Firefox 69.x 32-bit on Ubuntu/Mint seems to have a habit of crashing in irregular intervals.
  3. By now, I suspect that these crashes might be related to obsolete configuration settings in the Firefox user profile.
    I.e. one more time, the solution (or rather workaround) might be deleting the old Firefox user profile and permitting Firefox to create a new profile.
    ~~
    With the help of a Firefox Support page, How to export my saved logins file?, I found a pretty hassle free way of switching to a new Firefox user profile without losing all those profile items, which are important to me.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

karlchen wrote:
This, too, is a reason why I have started switching to genuine Mozilla Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit on those Mint/Ubuntu 32-bit systems, where Firefox 69.x (from the Ubuntu repos) had crashed at minimum once.
As a matter of fact, the switch from the Ubuntu repo Firefox 69.0.1 to the genuine Mozilla Firefox 69.0.1 has been reverted. :shock:
Reason:
After having permitted Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit to create a new user profile from scratch (see post above), I realized how much Mozilla has restructured things in the user profile by now.
So chances are that the crashes which happened here were really caused by outdated information in the old profiles.
This does, however, not explain why Firefox 69 32-bit was effected, but Firefox 69 64-bit was not.
Yet, I assume this will remain one of the many unexplained riddles in life. :?
I do not think that spending more time on the crashes will be worth the time, unless the same Firefox 32-bit should decide to crash, even though the profiles have been created from scratch now.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

no issues so far with either of my 2, 32bit machines running firefox 69, but then i'm running legacy bodhi 5.0 on those. can't remember the last time i had a browser crash on anything though, except playing with that goofy midori that comes installed with bodhi.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

In my specific case, re-creating my Firefox profile from scratch is not such a big hassle, because at the time being there are precisely 2 changed settings, which can only be changed by going to about:config
The rest can be done using the Preferences dialogues.
One change requires re-installing my favourite Firefox theme.

My main questions/concerns in this case are
  • Does it really affect Firefox 69.x 32-bit only?
    (Some of my Firefox 69.x 64-bit installations use profiles, which have a longer history than the profiles of the (crashing) Firefox 69.x 32-bit installations; but none of the Firefoxes 69.x 64-bit has decided to crash so far.)
  • An appication crash implies that Firefox does not handle some situations correctly.
    If it comes across configuration data, which for whichever reason cannot be processed, then it should either display an error message telling so, ignore them and proceed with normal operation; or if this is not feasible, it should display an error message and terminate itself as if the [quit] button had been pressed. But it should not crash.
    A crash means an unhandled exception. Such unhandled exceptions might be provoked by malicious websites e.g. deliberately and be exploited to run arbitrary malicious code. Potentially.
    Without really understanding the root cause of the crashes, it is not possible to tell whether the unhandled exceptions, which make Firefox 69.x 32-bit crash, can be exploited and to which extent.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Seems as if the Firefox user profile can be ruled out as a cause of the random crashes. Old or new profile does not seem to matter.
Precisely the Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit installation, for which I had re-created my user profile from scratch only this afternoon, decided to crash several times within 2 hours this evening.

So the crucial difference between crashing Firefox 69.x and non-crashing Firefox 69.x seems to be 32-bit vs 64-bit here on my Linux systems.
Which brings me back to my idea of checking whether the same is true for
+ genuine Mozilla Firefox 69.0.1 for Linux 32-bit or
+ only for Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit, got from the Ubuntu repos.

So I am back to this earlier approach:
karlchen wrote:
[...] I have started switching to genuine Mozilla Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit on those Mint/Ubuntu 32-bit systems, where Firefox 69.x (from the Ubuntu repos) had crashed at minimum once. Will see whether genuine Mozilla Firefox, got from factory outlet, will crash as well.
First guinea pig: Linux Mint 19.1 32-bit xfce.

Should very likely also have a peek over at the Ubuntu user forum in order to find out whether a similar problem report exists there.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

It seems as if switching to a new Firefox 32-bit user profile indeed brings about a change for the better:

Before re-creating new profiles, the affected Firefox 32-bit applications, would crash randomly and unexpectedly. This might happen even in cases, where I only visited this forum, viewed some threads and wrote some replies. Only a small number of open tabs, no high load caused by my activities on any resource (CPU, memory, disk).

After having re-created new profiles, the same Firefox 32-bit applications have non longer crashed in the way (vaguely) explained in the paragaph above.

Now crashes seem to be limited to open tabs (tabs can be restored as a rule), in case the browsing activities cause very high CPU load on the old and weak Atom processors and very likely exceed what the weak on-bard graphics chips can do. I.e. since using the newly created profiles, only viewing videos will succeed in making the open tabs crash.

This changed crash behaviour affects Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit from the official software repos in the same way as Firefox 32-bit 69.0.1, downloaded from the Mozilla website directly. No difference. At least not here on my "oldies".
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

also was getting that 'crashes sporadically,' thing as well:
- the recent update to v69.0.1 seems to have fixed it, so far, anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

missmoondog wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am
no issues so far with either of my 2, 32bit machines running firefox 69, but then i'm running legacy bodhi 5.0 on those. can't remember the last time i had a browser crash on anything though, except playing with that goofy midori that comes installed with bodhi.
so much for above comment! my 32bit firefox on both bodhi machines has been crashing as of late but so has my 64bit firefox on other 4 machines, on mint! does seem to happen more often on 32bit machines though. both flavors of firefox are on newest version as are installs current. haven't had any crash on brand new windows 10 (yuck) install on 1 other machine.

haven't tried creating new profiles and not going to until i see topic marked as solved. have other browsers that i play with anyway.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Firefox 69.x 32-bit seems to remain a bit tricky.
For some of you, Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit seems to run in a more stable way than Firefox 69, with a fresh profile or with an old profile.
For me Firefox 69.0.1 does not really work in a stable way, whenever I try to view videos. (Which I rarely do on the old machines, where I cling to 32-bit.)
When I had installed Firefox 69.0.2 32-bit, got from the ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa, knowing that I get "work in progress" from this PPA, and visited this forum, Firefox 69.0.2 32-bit crashed within 5 minutes. (one more crash report to Mozilla, in case it helps)

Since I reverted back to Firefox 69.0.1 32-bit on the affected Xubuntu 18.04.3 32-bit, Firefox has been well-behaved.

The "funny thing" is that on all my 64-bit Linux systems,
+ Ubuntu 16.04.6 64-bit Unity
+ Ubuntu 18.04.3 64-bit Mate
+ Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon
+ Linux Mint 19.1 64-bit xfce
Firefox 69.0.2 64-bit, got from the ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa, works without any issues, even when watching videos.
On none of the 64-bit systems, the Firefox profiles have been recreated from scratch for Firefox 69.x.

Still wondering what is going on with Firefox 69.x 32-bit?
If it affected only 1 machine, I might feel like blaming the machine as well (but why? Till Firefox 68.0.2 no issues)
Yet, as it affects 2 different machines, I wonder how the machines could contribute to the instability? :?
The crashes seem to happen in libxul.so consistently, telling from the crash reports.

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Running the risk of actually being talking to myself only, let me give the current state here on my systems, after Firefox 69.0.3 has been deployed through the software repositories.
  • Preface / Reprise:
    Up to and including Firefox 68.0.2, Firefox had worked in a reliable and stable way. This applied to my
    + Ubuntu and Linux Mint 64-bit systems and
    + Ubuntu and Linux Mint 32-bit systems
    Number of machines involved: 3 machines running 64-bit systems, 2 machines running 32-bit systems
    ~
  • Summary Firefox 69.0, 69.0.1, 69.0.2:
    Firefox 69.x went on working in a reliable and stable way on my Ubuntu and Linux Mint 64-bit systems.
    ~
    On my Ubuntu and Linux Mint 32-bit systems, however, Firefox 69.x had an annoying tendency of crashing sooner or later.
    The root cause has never been identified. At least not by me.
    Searching the Ubuntu forums and the Mozilla webpages for recent reports on Firefox 69.x 32-bit crashes did not return any useful hits.
    I am not sure whether any Mozilla developer has ever taken the time to inspect all the crash reports, which my 32-bit Firefox'es have sent out to Mozilla since Firefox 69 had been first released.
    ~
  • Current status for Firefox 69.0.3:
    Firefox 69.0.3 goes on working in a reliable and stable way on my Ubuntu and Linux Mint 64-bit systems.
    ~
    With Firefox 69.0.3 32-bit, the picture has changed, however, with respect to my 32-bit systems, all running on 2 different machines (Aspire One D260 and Zotac mini-desktop)
    • Zotac mini-desktop, 4 CPU cores, 1.7 GB of memory
      On the slightly more powerful Zotac mini-desktop, running Mint 18.1 32-bit xfce, Mint 19.1 xfce and Ubuntu 18.04.3 32-bit Mate,
      Firefox 69.0.3 seems to run in a reliable and stable way again, although I have not spotted anything in the changelog from 69.0.2 to 69.0.3, which would explain this change for the better.

Fact is, all 3 Firefox 32-bit installations on the Zotac mini-desktop have been used for several hours and have put under heavy load.
      The 4 CPU cores (actually 2 cores with hyperthreading) would max out several times and over several minutes. But no crash.
      Just like under Firefox 68.0.2. (Keeping my fingers crossed, this will apply in future, too.)

Technical specs. can be found here: Zotac - LM 19.1 xfce - Zotac - LM 18.1 xfce
      ~
    • Acer Aspire One D260, 2 CPU cores, 0.9 GB of memory
      On the clearly understuffed Acer, running Mint 18.1 32-bit xfce, Mint 19.2 xfce and Xubuntu 18.04.3 32-bit,
      Firefox 69.0.3 can almost be guaranteed to cash unexpectedly within a few minutes. No need to put special load on it. Surfing this forum, having 2 or 3 tabs open, will be sufficient. In fact any activity seems to be sufficient.
      The 2 CPU cores (actually 1 core with hyperthreading) will max out frequently.
      And then all of a sudden, bang, crash, Firefox window has disappeared. Friendly offer to send a crash report to Mozilla.

Technical specs. can be found here: Acer - LM 19.2 xfce - Acer - LM 18.1 xfce
  • Hypothesis:
    Actually my hypothesis, why Firefox 69.0.3 32-bit crashes, is twofold:
    On the one hand, very low systems specs, in particular very little CPU power, seem to make crashes more frequent. This is why my Acer is affected so heavily. I assume that timing problems occur on very slow CPUs between the different Firefox processes.
    On the other hand, I suspect, that the gcc version, used to compile and link Firefox may play a role as well. If what I have read in some (Firefox) bug reports applies, then gcc 7 seem to have a tendency of creating executables, which cause problems on 32-bit systems. But I admit that this idea is a bit speculative.
    ~
  • Temporary Workaround:
    Have started rolling out genuine Firefox ESR on my Acer. Firefox ESR does not crash here. Yet, this may change as soon as Firefox ESR catches up again with the normal Firefox release version.
    ~
  • Conclusion:
    It may be time to get used to the idea of sending the old Acer Aspire to retirement after almost 10 years. The Zotac will be next, I guess.
<eos>

Cheers,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Firefox 69.0.3 32-bit on Zotac / Ubuntu 18.0.4.3 32-bit Mate has just falsified my optimistic statement that it would run in a reliable and stable way again like Firefox 68.0.2 still did: It crashed while I was typing this post.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

already knocking on wood here, but my 32bit firefox hasn't crashed since my post above. have 2, 32bit laptops here that run linux bodhi legacy version 5.0. reason i say this is because it appears it's not effecting just mint.

some what off topic, but....
seems odd though that only one of those machines has received version 69.0.3, where as none of my mint machines (5) have received that. also haven't received the flash update, if it's been released yet, on any machine. seems like some of these updates that should be being pushed out are coming very slowly.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

The Mint repos offer Firefox 69.0.3:
+ Mint 19.2: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tina
+ Mint 18.3: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Sylvia
+ (too lazy to post the links for all 18.x and 19.x repos. :oops: )

Ubuntu till Sunday had remained on Firefox 69.0.2 though.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

karlchen wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:51 am
The Mint repos offer Firefox 69.0.3:
+ Mint 19.2: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tina
+ Mint 18.3: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Sylvia
+ (too lazy to post the links for all 18.x and 19.x repos. :oops: )

Ubuntu till Sunday had remained on Firefox 69.0.2 though.
heck, firefox 70 is out now! i'll just wait on it.

thanks
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

no problems here on 32 bit linux using Firefox 68.1-esr. I put that into my only user on computer, and uninstalled the one from the installation in Mint 18.3, and didn't even attempt the FF 69 version you had problems with after I saw that in earlier forum post from you.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Firefox 69+70 32-bit crashes sporadically, Firefox 64-bit does not so far

Post by Pierre »

update: Firefox 70 /32bit is still sporadically crashing .. it just did that .. .
:roll

and usually, after Opening an New Tab
:?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”