Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
moosey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox 69+70 32-bit crashes sporadically, Firefox 64-bit does not so far

Post by moosey »

Hi,
Only just found this topic but I have been having the same problem since FF69 was introduced.
I'm using Mint 18.3 32-bit.

I did start a question on the Mozilla FF Support forum and they told me that the crash reports from the Linux Mint version of FF were useless for diagnosing the problem and that I should download/install the official FF release from the Mozilla website, and then upload the crash reports from that version. I installed the official Mozilla FF version using this method:
http://www.lauradhamilton.com/how-to-up ... linux-mint

Guess what? Using the official Mozilla FF release I have had no crashes at all. It appears to be a problem with the Linux Mint Firefox release.

I have tried using the Mint FF with new profiles, completely wiping all mentions of Firefox from my machine and re-installing the Mint FF, all with no success. I still get random crashes.

The only problem with using the official Mozilla Firefox is that for some reason Mint doesn't seem to recognise it and I keep getting messages saying that Firefox is not my default browser (even though its the only one I have installed) and the automatic updates don't work and I have to manually update it. If I could find a way of getting around these problems I would ditch the Mint FF and use the official Mozilla version.

Peter
dr0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dr0 »

Another LM 18.3 32-bit user here. I also get random Firefox crashes. Most often it happens when I open a new tab. It started with version 69 and continues with 70.
TheNomad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheNomad »

Installing Waterfox and importing the old FF profile helped for me. The crashes drove me mad, so now I'll stick to Waterfox for a while

Return to “Software & Applications”