Can I ask somewhat of an unusual question ..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Spud1200
Level 2
Level 2

Can I ask somewhat of an unusual question ..

Post by Spud1200 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 am

For a while I have been in too networking and also interested in security.

In 2019 soon too be 2020 do you need a GUI. Also am I correct in thinking the GUI is served up by the xserver and thus whatever flavour of the desktop environment you prefer.

So "GUI" > "xserver" > and lets say "Cinnamon" ..

If I where to decide to not a run a GUI, is it particularly hard to navigate around online in CLI mode. I have been looking at the links posed in my last thread in this sub-topic about learning Bash and I think I know enough to navigate my way around the system but online I'm 50/50 on it. I'll tell you one thing I have been having so much fun with sudo apt-cache search .. when it comes to looking in the mint repository’s.

This is going to sound like a stupid question but not having a GUI and being online, from what I can tell it is totally different but like what I'm getting at is do many other people do this. Is their many people out their even on the mint forums who are a advocate of ditching the GUI for the CLI and the likes of bash.

Also one last silly question but I think I'm correct in thinking am its a lot more secure isn't running in CLI mode. How would one browse the web with out a GUI with the likes of FF.

Thanks.

EDIT: Can I also ask, what is the difference between: apt and apt-get in Bash. Say for example, sudo apt-get update or sudo apt update. I've been curious about that one for a while. :) ..

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Can I ask somewhat of an unusual question ..

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:53 am

Spud1200 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 am
If I where to decide to not a run a GUI, is it particularly hard to navigate around online in CLI mode.
EDIT: Can I also ask, what is the difference between: apt and apt-get in Bash. Say for example, sudo apt-get update or sudo apt update. I've been curious about that one for a while. :) ..
Linux server OSen mostly don't have a GUI. Whether or not it's easy to get around in the command line is entirely up to you. Nobody can tell you if you will find it easy or hard.

Apt is a wrapper around apt-get.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 am

You need a GUI to run any GUI apps. You can't run FF without a GUI. There are CLI browsers but they are text only - e.g. lynx - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)

It is possible to run a system with CLI only? Yes if CLI meets all your needs for that machine.

For example my secondary laptop acts as a remote storage and also runs a Plex Server. It runs Ubuntu Minimal with no Desktop Environment installed and I administer it remotely via SSH in a terminal. Plex is managed remotely via a web interface and if i decide I want to navigate the file system with a GUI File Manager I can do that remotely via SSHFS. But on the laptop itself it's CLI only. I won't be playing any games on it or using a GUI web-browser.

Security GUI vs CLI? - There's less attack surface with no X-server / Session / Display Manger, Mesa, DE etc so i guess a CLI only machine could potentially be more secure.

apt vs apt-get. The former is the more end-user-friendly version. More options, more informative output, more interactivity. The actual effect of apt install vs apt-get install is the same. Mint takes this a step further - it's apt is a python 'wrapper' for Debian's apt and adds a whole bunch of other commands as-well as asking nicely for your password when needed if you neglect / can't be bothered to type sudo.

Compare the output of these commands to see the difference.

apt --help - Mint's apt

/usr/bin/apt --help - Debian apt

apt-get --help - Debian apt-get
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:07 am

and aptitude is even more fun. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:22 am

Spud1200 wrote:
For a while I have been in too networking and also interested in security.

In 2019 soon too be 2020 do you need a GUI. Also am I correct in thinking the GUI is served up by the xserver and thus whatever flavour of the desktop environment you prefer.

So "GUI" > "xserver" > and lets say "Cinnamon" ..
If you're looking at security only, then Wayland is more secure than X11, but Mint does not come with a desktop environment that runs on Wayland compositors currently.

Also the correct chain for Cinnamon would be

Xorg > LightDM > Muffin > Cinnamon
Spud1200 wrote:
Is their many people out their even on the mint forums who are a advocate of ditching the GUI for the CLI and the likes of bash
Nobody on the Mint forums is advocating that because Mint is a desktop OS, and that's what people are here for. You seem to be extremely inexperienced so I suggest you do that same.
Spud1200 wrote:
How would one browse the web with out a GUI with the likes of FF.
There are text-mode browsers, e.g. lynx, but they will not work with every web site.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 am

smurphos wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 am
You can't run FF without a GUI. There are CLI browsers...
[partially off-topic]...actually, you can :)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 am

Anyhow, it's a bad idea. It would reduce the practical usability of your desktop Linux almost to zero.

If you want to know more about security in Linux Mint, you might find this article of mine interesting:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”