Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

SOLVED chrome/brave browser: temporarily use other search engine

Post by sadhu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Most of the time I just type my search query into the address bar, and let DuckDuckGo do its thing. But there are times when I want to search on a particular site; e.g., Amazon for a particular book.

In Firefox, with its extra search box, I can type in the name of the book, then select Amazon. But in Brave and Chrome browsers, I can't see any way of temporarily searching using another engine. It seems like I have to first browse to Amazon (or youtube, or ebay, or dictionary.com, etc) and then enter the search term.

Is the Firefox functionality described above available in chrome/brave? And if it is, how is it activated?

And if it is not, why does brave/chrome settings list "other search engines"?

thanks,
-sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: chrome/brave browser: temporarily use other search engine

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 am

I mostly use Chrome but Vivaldi is based on chromium and has a separate search field so you can easily change search engines. WHile I don't use Vivaldi much any more it's good ... it's the only non Chrome or FF browser I've ever kept installed for more than about 2 days.

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:01 am

What i have to do, of course, is enter "<search term> site:www.amazon.com" in the address bar. Seems like a kludge, anyway. So why do they have the extra search engines???
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 19.2-64 Cinn 3.6.7, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop:Dell Inspiron 15-3000, Core i3, 4G RAM Intel Gfx

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:06 am

I gather than DuckDuckGo uses a system it calls 'Bangs' in order to search just a specific site for a term.
To search for content more quickly from a specific website, DuckDuckGo comes with a feature called Bangs. Bangs are a feature of DuckDuckGo that allow you to search for your search terms directly on another website — even another search engine — through DuckDuckGo. Basically, how it works is that a Bang will consist of an “!” followed by a site name or a short-form version of a website and the keyword or search term.

If that seems a little confusing, here is an example:

!yt videogames

The above is a Bang for searching videogames (the keyword) on YouTube (the yt) on DuckDuckGo. You simply type the above information into the search box and submit your query as normal. Once submitted, you will be taken directly to YouTube and the search will be conducted from there as if you were using YouTube, and not DuckDuckGo, the whole time.
There are quite a lot of them but I guess if you only use half a dozen sites to do this with then it is easy enough to save those Bangs to a text file somewhere handy.
Here is a link to the full list.....there are a lot!!!!

https://duckduckgo.com/bang?bangs-list=
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:31 am

Hey, Thanks!! :D

I'll check it out. I think Brave has a similar feature, but I don't know how to do it. I'll do further checking.

-Sadhu

Return to “Software & Applications”