Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jagmeister
Level 1
Level 1

What Fonts are you using?

Post by Jagmeister » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am

I'm curious as to what fonts people are using? I've got LibreOffice installed and although I don't use it much I find the number of fonts that are installed on the system excessive and just makes it confusing to use. I'm not sure what application installed all the fonts, most of which have foreign (non-US) sounding names. I've also installed Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus to experiment with. I went to the /usr/share/fonts folder and started deleting things en-mass. Finally pared it down to eight or ten that seemed somewhat basic.

I happen to own a font package from SoftMaker called MegaFonts which has an amazing selection. Too much actually. It's like going to the store for a can of beans and finding three full aisles of canned beans to choose from. Too many choices are not always good. I selected a few and installed them. My needs are simple; just some basic wordprocessing and occasional newsletter or flyer design. I'm mostly familiar with the fonts from MS-Word since that's what I've used in the corporate world for most of my career.

Just wondering what people are using with LibreOffice and if there are any issues with document portability if you start selecting unusual fonts.

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What Fonts are you using?

Post by gittiest personITW » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 am

Hi,
Just started using Arimo @8 pt on LibreOffice - seems ok.
Had a small problem when opening old .doc files and .docx that were created on MS systems - but that was just with tables in Word (not Excel)- all the data disappeared.
Figured out that the font settings weren't happy and CTRL+A then changed font on the whole documents.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 am

Don't need Asian fonts? Then clean out some stuff you don't use:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
(item 8 )
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Jagmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jagmeister » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:14 am

@Pjotr - Well, that would have saved me a lot of time! Didn't realize they were packages that could be removed. I went ahead and followed the instructions and removed them properly. Thanks!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 am

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:58 am
Don't need Asian fonts? Then clean out some stuff you don't use:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
(item 8 )
Thanks, just did that one myself too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:22 am

According to the LibreOffice Writer help page you can go to file--properties--font and check the box for saving the embedded font in the document itself. This same option exists in MS Word.

I have not tried this yet, but you should be able to use any font you want, embed it into the document, save it as a .doc or .docx and share it freely with people using Word. I am assuming that since you paid for fonts you already have very definite ideas about what your documents should look like?

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm a font junkie, and have been since high school. I try to use libre licensed ones where possible, but I use whatever is necessary to get the job done. Honestly, I can't imagine a system without a lot of fonts installed on it.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Ubuntu 19.10 on a MBP 8,1 and dreaming about my return to Linux Mint.

Also looking for a new job.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:43 pm

I use Liberation Serif almost exclusively because I happen to like serif fonts, but then I don't care about portability as my data never leaves the computer except in printed form.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Fonts is a broad term...

My favorite fonts are still those where Mrs. Carol Twombly (... and Robert Slimbach) was involved. Besides the fonts of Mr. Frutiger, who was otherwise exploited...

A quite good Garamond is also freely available: EB Garamond.

http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/ or Synaptic...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 pm

I've never seen so many guests at a post: When Mrs. Twombly, Mr. Slimbach, Mr. Frutiger and Mr. Duffner were introduced to a few internet users, I am very happy...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Software & Applications”