Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
whois1230
Level 3
Level 3

How to block adult content

Post by whois1230 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:00 am

Hello, I am running Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit and I want to block adult content, especially p**n. I tried with OpenDNS and it works partially. I write partially because it failed to block **** on DuckDuckGo, and did so only on Google.

Gruppo Sportivo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to block adult content

Post by Gruppo Sportivo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:14 am

If you're using Firefox ?, there are blocker add-ons available
Block P¿¿n

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:16 am

that & an add-blocker - -as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:13 am

whois1230 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:00 am
Hello, I am running Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit and I want to block adult content, especially p**n. I tried with OpenDNS and it works partially. I write partially because it failed to block **** on DuckDuckGo, and did so only on Google.
Guess I don't get out and travel enough,
I have never run into p.o.r.n on the websites that I frequent.

using Firefox and uBlock Orgin only.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:40 am

this isn't a linux thing. do a little research on the internet. https://cleanbrowsing.org/ if you have issues with blocking on some sites, that's still nothing linux can do about it.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:46 pm

The problems with many of these sites is that they attempt to mimic legit sites so, if you think you are looking for, say, kids underwear to suit your 5 Y.O. you instead find "other" kids stuff, none of which is particularly nice. The scammers also try the same thing with your banks, they'll mimic a banking site and name their domain so close to the real thing that a typo could take you to their site rather than the real thing. Sadly, 'tis the world we live in and, like advertising, it's a bloody nuisance and is largely OS or browser independent. Regardless of which car you drive, you'll still see adverts for the opposition.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:57 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:46 pm
The problems with many of these sites is that they attempt to mimic legit sites so, if you think you are looking for, say, kids underwear to suit your 5 Y.O. you instead find "other" kids stuff, none of which is particularly nice. The scammers also try the same thing with your banks, they'll mimic a banking site and name their domain so close to the real thing that a typo could take you to their site rather than the real thing. Sadly, 'tis the world we live in and, like advertising, it's a bloody nuisance and is largely OS or browser independent. Regardless of which car you drive, you'll still see adverts for the opposition.
I have come across this so many times. like when I just type in the 'name' of the website but can't rememer if it was .com or .net or .gov etc...

the first 1 or three links are to bogus websites just like you mentioned.

I use bookmarks to log into my bank accounts, utility corporations, etc...

I never, ever, reply to an email link to log into a website I don't trust.....
about the only one that I do that with, is my Medical account from my provider...
even then, that just takes me to the main Login Page where LastPass has to fill in the username and passwords....

I almost never allow the browser to remember anything that is critical to my life...

forum passwords like here for Mint, yes, it is just easier and faster.

Banks, Meds, credit cards, ?? nope, only via the Main page and login

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:04 am

Actually all my "critical" stuff like banking, medical, government pension sites, are not stored on my computer. I type the complete address every time and then manually enter my username/password. If I forget them, I'm stuffed. IF my machine gets stolen or hacked, the miscreants will be extremely disappointed as all they'll be able to do is log on here and play havoc "in my name". :D

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 am

You might want to look at this...although I am not sure how active they still are..

http://www.e2guardian.org/cms/index.php

As others have already pointed out, Mozilla has some Add Ons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ly-filter/
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:04 am
Actually all my "critical" stuff like banking, medical, government pension sites, are not stored on my computer. I type the complete address every time and then manually enter my username/password. If I forget them, I'm stuffed. IF my machine gets stolen or hacked, the miscreants will be extremely disappointed as all they'll be able to do is log on here and play havoc "in my name". :D
that won't work for me, involved in a severe vehicle accident that destroyed my memory cells.
I must use LastPass ( or something )

My Credit Union will lock my account if I make 3 mistakes, there is no access to the IT folks until business hours open.... I did that once, on a 4 day holiday weekend, I was locked out until Tuesday, and I did my mistake on a Thursday night.... to say I was upset don't come close...

Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Resistor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am

This sounds like a perfect problem for the /etc/hosts file...
https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. Win 10 reduced partition. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. LM 19.1 + 19.2 Cinnamon
Dell Inspiron 15Z, i3, 6 GB RAM. Win 8 is gone. LM 19.1 + 19.2 Cinnamon

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 am

Hi whois1230,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are various DNS providers like OpenDNS that provide various levels of protection against adult content and or malicious websites, but none that I know of can prevent 100 percent of all adult content. Even with OpenDNS, you have to setup (configure) your router and or your computers and devices to use their particular DNS entries that block adult content.

In addition to adding browser extensions and or addons to block adult content, you can add 3rd party blockers in various ways like member "Resistor" mentioned.

If you have children you are concerned about, then changing the hardware router's DNS default entries to a secure DNS provider's server IP addresses is probably the best option.

How to Block **** on Any Device. For Free. A Protect Young Eyes Post.
https://protectyoungeyes.com/how-to-blo ... -for-free/

DNS provider block adult content - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sxs ... CAg&uact=5

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

whois1230
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whois1230 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 am

RIH wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:18 am
You might want to look at this...although I am not sure how active they still are..

http://www.e2guardian.org/cms/index.php

As others have already pointed out, Mozilla has some Add Ons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ly-filter/
I'm having trouble installing e2guardian, can anyone please help?
https://github.com/e2guardian/e2guardia ... .3/INSTALL
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~ $ cd /home/user/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3 $ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3 $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3 $ make install
make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3 $ ./configure --help
user@user-Lenovo-ideapad-110-17IKB ~/Desktop/Programs/e2guardian-5.3 $ ./configure

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Go to here..
https://gitlab.com/fredbcode/e2guardian/tree/packages/

Click on the Download Button
Dload.png
Dload.png (15.54 KiB) Viewed 456 times
A file (e2guardian-packages.tar.gz) will download.
Use Archive Manager to extract its' content to a new Folder.
The extracted Folder contains Folders containing 6 different versions of the program.
I suggest that you try the latest (5.3.3) first.
Open that Folder & there are 2 versions inside, a Debian version & an Ubuntu version, both are .deb files so can be installed via the GDebi Package Installer.
Not sure which version you should try, but I am guessing that both/either should work on Mint.

That is as far as I got as I have no wish to install the package, so I have no idea what, if any, further hurdles you will have to climb with the program...but that should, at least, install it!!

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:57 am

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am
that won't work for me, involved in a severe vehicle accident that destroyed my memory cells.
As did I - they said I have 21% permanent frontal lobe damage - I reckon it was the bit I never used anyway! I do live on drugs to keep me "normal" but, even 18 years on, I am still finding some improvements.

how long for you?

whois1230
Level 3
Level 3

Post by whois1230 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

RIH wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm
Go to here..
https://gitlab.com/fredbcode/e2guardian/tree/packages/

Click on the Download Button
Dload.png

A file (e2guardian-packages.tar.gz) will download.
Use Archive Manager to extract its' content to a new Folder.
The extracted Folder contains Folders containing 6 different versions of the program.
I suggest that you try the latest (5.3.3) first.
Open that Folder & there are 2 versions inside, a Debian version & an Ubuntu version, both are .deb files so can be installed via the GDebi Package Installer.
Not sure which version you should try, but I am guessing that both/either should work on Mint.

That is as far as I got as I have no wish to install the package, so I have no idea what, if any, further hurdles you will have to climb with the program...but that should, at least, install it!!
Hello and thanks, I tried both files but got an error on both. When I tried to install the Debian file I got this:Error:Dependency is not satisfiable : libtommath1. When trying to install the ubuntu file I got a similar error:Error:Dependency is not satisfiable :libevent-pthreads-2.1-6

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:30 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:57 am
AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 am
As did I - they said I have 21% permanent frontal lobe damage - I reckon it was the bit I never used anyway! I do live on drugs to keep me "normal" but, even 18 years on, I am still finding some improvements.

how long for you?
my Accident was being T-boned by a Semi truck in Jan 2008. in hospital for 15 days,
in aftercare by my sister for six months while my scalp grew new skin over the exposed skull above my left eye, an area of 1.5 by 2.0 inches.... She is a Med Tech for a hospital, that was the only reason my doctor let me go from the hospital I was in. She came down to the hospital when she learned of my situation.

At that time, I could not remember anything "new" longer than about 10 seconds.
Now, 11 years later, I am doing much better, and can hold a "new thought" for a couple of minutes, long enough to type it up into a notebook.

absque fenestris
Level 6
Level 6

Post by absque fenestris » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Problematic content: do not click on it.

Children, especially smart children, will crack any - EVERY - barrier.
Honesty helps, a reasonable education also and perhaps fishing and hiking: the better offer decides...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm

whois1230 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm
Hello and thanks, I tried both files but got an error on both. When I tried to install the Debian file I got this:Error:Dependency is not satisfiable : libtommath1. When trying to install the ubuntu file I got a similar error:Error:Dependency is not satisfiable :libevent-pthreads-2.1-6
Yes I tried to install it in a VirtualBox addition of Mint.
I managed to fix the dependency issues but the program still failed to install correctly.
I am not 100% sure if that was due to me trying in VB or not... however I would be reluctant to install anything to use as a daily driver if it is this difficult to install.
I also noticed (on the Debi installation page) that you need to install the Squid HTTP proxy program, or similar, to get the e2guardian program to work...
Having zero knowledge or experience in this area I decided it was wise to give up the ghost at that point.. :D Sorry...

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 am

who says **** isn't blocked at duckduckgo? i just tested 208.67.222.123, 208.67.220.123 <<<openDNS family shield on google and duckduckgo and everything is blocked. YES you still see the search results but have you tried entering a **** site? this is the best you can get. teach your children well and quit trying to block things with opendns. THEY DO LOG YOUR SEARCH RESULTS

stupid how this form doesn't even allow p.o.r.n. in a comment, do they think we are 9 years old here?

Return to “Software & Applications”