Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BG405
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Wanted - Old Linux Mint Ver 5

Post by BG405 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Actually that's a dual-layer (~9GB) DVD Hoser Rob is referring to. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm

martyg wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:07 pm
It would have access to the internet, but it would be for download purposes and nothing important otherwise.
You do realize, right? Downloading is most insecure thing about running an operating system which is no longer receiving updates. You might as well say, "I don't need a reserve parachute because I'm only planning to jump out of airplanes." Ordinarily I wouldn't bother to comment on this, but we have a lot of folks coming up on end-of-life for Win7. And, well, yes, security updates matter.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Might be able to update a lot of things if he used a current repository, but some of the newer stuff also might not work on the older OS.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

martyg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyg » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi all;

PBear, "" You do realize, right? Downloading is most insecure thing about running an operating system which is no longer receiving updates. ""

Like I said before, this would NOT be used for anything but learning Linux and building Linux From Scratch, not emails , not anything else like that, so if someone wants to snoop, I would say go ahead, there is nothing there and if they trash it, I can rebuild it.. That is the whole idea, learn about Linux.. That is part of the reason for the 586, not that it is the most up to date or most secure..

If I want security then I use this machine, for emails and googling and such..

THANK YOU Marty

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:23 am

martyg wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm
Hi all;
Rather than only responding to the nicely chatty secuwity-subsubject you might have indicated whether or not that posted link to the Mint 5 iso was useful, and more to the point, how much RAM the system has or CAN have; that metric is going to be the one that limits you much more likely than a "586" itself.

martyg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi All;

Rene, You are Right, Sorry..

The system says at start-up that it has 393216KB of Ram, that it has 2M of shared memory, I don't know what that is, I can set it up to 8M..
I don't understand why there isn't more Ram, as I have two 256MB of Ram installed, unless it is full memory space minus Bios to get that figure..

Last night, I put in and got working Floppy Drive A..

If I had and could find a copy of Linux Mint 4.XX, I would be more than Glad to Use that, if it made it any better..

But, Linux Mint 5 is what I have, that I think will work, in this system..

THANK YOU Marty

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 am

Look in your BIOS to see if there's a setting for sharing RAM with the video system
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

martyg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:43 am

Hi All;

Spearmint2, Thank You for the information..

Currently, I am running Slackware 4.0 on the 586 formatting and checking the Hard Drive..

Which I found earlier today while picking up in my room, and the 586 is running it..

I know it isn't Mint, but, it is working on my 586 system..

I can't at this point make any promises, but, I might have found my Host system..

THANK YOU Marty

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:59 am

martyg wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 pm
The system says at start-up that it has 393216KB of Ram, that it has 2M of shared memory, I don't know what that is, I can set it up to 8M..
I don't understand why there isn't more Ram, as I have two 256MB of Ram installed, unless it is full memory space minus Bios to get that figure..
Seriously? 393216KB / 1024 = 384MB = precisely the amount Ubuntu 8.04 specified. It's also an enormous amount for "a 586"; I take it it's probably an AMD or Cyrix system? On the Intel side I only know of the 430HX chipset that supported that much memory, and that was a relatively rare "server chipset". Also, a 256M DIMM being apparently supported in the first place says this is a relatively modern board.

In any case note that 384 = 3x128, i.e., a fairly logical maximum amount in and of itself --- although admittedly not so much if the board also has just two DIMM slots. What you might in that case be experiencing is one of the DIMMs being double-sided whereas the board only supports single-sided; only 128M being recognized for one of them. Single- and double-sided often/sometimes amounted to there being actual chips on both sides of the DIM, but not always.

I'd in any case physically look at the board to identify a type number; it's usually printed somewhere between two PCI slots. If you then plug that in to google you'll probably find a manual that spells things out. Although one DIMM being recognized as 256M already makes it unlikely, it could even be a matter of needing some jumper configuration.

the shared memory thing will likely be integrated graphics indeed. Usually SiS in that case. Mint 5 is 2008... I'm not sure any more if that was pre- or already post- X11 removing support for old graphics chipsets.

In any case... try and get a board manual and/or play a bit of mix & match with DIMMs if you have some others laying around.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:37 am

On those older mobos, the SPD of the RAM chips/stick was always read from DIMM1 and set for use with those in any following DIMM slots. It meant if you mixed two different speed chips, the slowest speed RAM needed to be placed in DIMM1.

servese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by servese » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 am

You can download the .iso file from the wayback machine at: http://web.archive.org/web/201110122319 ... t-5-r1.iso (Direct Link)
If you want another variant of Linux mint 5.x, here is the download page: http://web.archive.org/web/200812020739 ... wnload.php
Cheers.

martyg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 am

Hi All;

Thank You for Your input.. I have what I need for Linux Mint 5, but, would like Linux Mint 4, if it can be found..

"" I'd in any case physically look at the board to identify a type number; it's usually printed somewhere between two PCI slots. If you then plug that in to google you'll probably find a manual that spells things out. Although one DIMM being recognized as 256M already makes it unlikely, it could even be a matter of needing some jumper configuration. ""

I have NO information on my Board, I had to identify it from the Bios, it is a Sunlogix 586 Motherboard, it had a AMD-K^ processor on it, but, I was having trouble with that, (I have three of them), so I put a Pentium in it, and that works Fine, a bit slower, but it works..

I have from a CD set I just found installed Slackware 4.0, and it is running it and installed just fine..

Since I was having so much trouble with Mint, not to complain, but, this now works.. I now know that the board is OK..

THANK YOU Marty

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 am

Not sure what the "so much trouble" with Mint 5 is/was but given the amount of memory you apparently have you'll be able to install a significantly newer version of Debian --- possibly even the current version --- than Slackware 4.0 and it would moreover have the supposed advantage of being as to the basics the same as current Mint.

Anyways...

martyg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:00 am

Hi All;

Rene, I haven't been able to get Linux Mint ver 5 to Load on the 586, it goes partially thru then get's stuck, for as long as all night and would not move ..

Which was why I originally I came to this site, looking for answers as to why it wouldn't fully Load..

I have been fighting with Linux Mint for a couple of weeks, trying to make it work on the 586..

The same with Ubuntu 4.10 and 5.10, So I finally found something that the 586 likes..

I like Linux Mint very much, and I have it on my other machine (a Dell, duo Core) where I am working on using it to make a Linux From Scratch, which I would like to do on both machines..

THANK YOU Marty

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am

I'd be a little weary there in the context of my above remark concerning single- and double-sided DIMMs. I.e., it might be the case that one (or both) of your DIMMs is/are in fact incompatible with your board, but that that old "Super Socket 7" board isn't intelligent enough to reject it outright -- just fouls up addressing, causing things to come crashing down when memory above a certain threshold is accessed, something which the Slackware 4.0 installer hasn't done and the Mint one did, it needing much more memory.

Certainly having the total amount misidentified is quite unlikely to be a good sign. As said, mix & match if you can, or at least make sure to memtest86 the memory. It seems likely that not all would pass.

londoner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by londoner » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Mint versions 3 thru 11 are available from the following site in Namibia.
http://download.nust.na/pub3/LinuxMint/stable/
Just took a few minutes using DuckDuckGo

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Try only one RAM stick at a time. Same when using memtest. Better to know the problem RAM instead of suspecting all RAM sticks.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:43 pm

londoner wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 pm
Mint versions 3 thru 11 are available from the following site in Namibia.
http://download.nust.na/pub3/LinuxMint/stable/
Just took a few minutes using DuckDuckGo
Nicely done. Out of curiosity, what search terms did you use? I'm finding a few sites, but not that one. And none I found have v.4.

londoner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by londoner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:54 am

Nicely done. Out of curiosity, what search terms did you use? I'm finding a few sites, but not that one. And none I found have v.4.
I was actually searching for version 4 and used the filename "LinuxMint-4.0-miniKDE.iso". Most of the first page was dead torrent/magnet links. Clicked on "more results" and it was the next item. Maybe because ZA is my default location helps. Namibia is a neighbouring country.

Same trick worked with "LinuxMint-5-Light-r1.iso" but not the other 5.0 iso files.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:32 am

Now I don't feel so bad. How the heck would I know that's what it was called. :mrgreen:

Interestingly, I don't get that hit, but did find another, so maybe location does matter.

Return to “Software & Applications”