Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
madevan
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] email folder will not show contents

Post by madevan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 am

I use thunderbird 60.9 at the moment - my yahoo email folder shows 8 emails for me but I find that I cannot access them.
I tried repairing the folder - no result.
I sent an email to it as a test. the folder contents incremented by one but i still cannot access the contents
I reset the yahoo password no change

I have used thunderbird since daryna and have had no problem I could not fix.
could you suggest what I should do next please
regards
John
Last edited by Moem on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you, in such a way that it can be seen on the forum overview page; you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: email folder will not show contents

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am

go to .thunderbird, hidden folder. Look under the mail server for popstate.dat file. Rename it by putting an underscore in front of it. Download mail again. It should create a new popstate.dat file, and may correct the problem.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

madevan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: email folder will not show contents RESOLVED

Post by madevan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 pm

I fiddled with the inbox and inbox.msf files
got it working
i feel sillyyo say I don't know how it worked
LOL
thanks for reading

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] email folder will not show contents

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 pm

.msf files are like index files for the actual mail files. For instance INBOX is a "file" instead of a "folder", although Linux claims all are just "files" with data in them. You can delete any .msf files, and thunderbird will reform them, running through the INBOX or others like SENT and re-index them. That's helpful if it seems a lot of emails oddly disappeared, but are actually still in the INBOX,....then it finds them again. The popstate.dat file keeps a record of what messages were last downloaded to the mail program, but sometimes that can cause it to hang, and the simplest method is to delete it, and then all mails still on the server will be downloaded, so that any there, but failing to download will then do so, and some you thought were downloaded and removed from server, were still there, so you will also get some "dupes" too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Software & Applications”