Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Timeshift re-install from USB pen drive

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

yesterday I decided to make my first Timeshift image. I set it up as I thought and then used create to put an image onto my USB pen drive. I checked the pen drive and there was an image. An hour later I made another image. I again checked the pen drive and I now had 2 images. Great I thought.

I then tried to make a Clonezilla full back up of my drive. This I managed to get hopelessly wrong and filled up my root drive. No problem I thought as I have a Timeshift image. I booted from a live media, and opened Timeshift. Nothing showed in its window. I could see my pen drive and by clicking it, a new window opened and I could see my 2 saved images. BUT I could not figure out how to get Timeshift to use one of them. If I highlighted one of the images I could not get Timeshift to use it. It said no image selected.

Before I make any more attemps at using Timeshift, can I use a pen drive and how do I get Timeshift to use the image.

Best regards Keith

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Timeshift re-install from USB pen drive

Post by gm10 »

Timeshift does not create images, that's what CloneZilla does. But assuming you actually created Timeshift snapshots on a USB pen drive formatted with a Linux file system, then you can restore said snapshots from a live environment by first inserting the USB pen drive, then starting Timeshift and in the popup window that comes up selecting said USB pen drive as the snapshot location.

If that does not work then probably more than just your terminology went wrong.
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Gm10,

I will try and use the correct terminology in the hope that I will be able to receive a meaningful reply.

I created 2 snapshots onto a usb stick using Timeshift.

I damaged my installation of Mint 19.2 Mate

I booted from a live usb pen drive, with my usb stick (with the 2 snapshots on) inserted.

From the Menu I selected Timeshift

The Timeshift window was empty.

I used the “Search” button and found my usb pen drive.

I could not get either of the 2 snapshots to load. Timeshift said NO snapshots selected.

I have just installed Mint 18.3 Mate onto the computer and when I have the usb stick inserted.

From the menu I select Timeshift and immediately it shows both of the snapshots.

It did NOT show them from the live usb.

Best regards Keith

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Well, that's new information. Assuming you selected the correct USB drive (i.e. not the one you were just booting from) maybe there's a problem with the Timeshift version in the 19.2 live environment? Would be the first I'd hear of it though.

That's all I can tell you in a void. Maybe try again with the 18.3 live environment to make sure it's really not just user error in selecting the snapshot location.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi gm10,

the live usb pen drive I booted from was Mint 19 Mate 64 bit. I do not have that on the pen drive any more as I formatted it and put Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit on it. I did this so that I could get the computer up and running.

I have put Mint 19 Mate 64 bit onto a stick. Booted the computer from this stick and when I reached the Desktop I inserted my other usb pen drive with the 2 snapshots on it into another slot. I then went to Menu and opened Timeshift. The Timeshift window was empty. I used the browse button which opened another window and there I could see my usb stick with both of the snapshots on. I could not see any way to get Timeshift to see those 2 snapshots.

I put Linux Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit onto a usb stick. I booted from the stick and when I reached the Desktop I inserted my other usb stick containing the 2 snapshots into a spare slot. I used Menu and opened Timeshift. The Timeshift window was empty as before. If I used the browse button I could find my 2 snapshots on the other usb. I still could find no way to make use of them.

I now have Mint 18.3 Mate 64 bit up and running. If I insert the usb pen drive which contains my 2 snapshots and then open Timeshift, both of the snapshots are shown in the Timeshift window which is the correct behaviour I believe. I could certainly choose one of them to restore from.

Unless I am missing the blindingly obvious (probably) having a live usb, and a snapshot on another usb stick could not help me. It seems to be OK if you are still in a working system that has gone a bit wobbly and you wish to recover using Timeshift.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards Keith

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

tinca wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 am

In timeshift go to "settings" and then "location" and from there show it where your snapshots are. Using the browse button only allows you to look around and does not actually tell timeshift where it is.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 am
In timeshift go to "settings" and then "location" and from there show it where your snapshots are. Using the browse button only allows you to look around and does not actually tell timeshift where it is.
This. The "Browse" button is to browse an already configured snapshot location. The "Settings" button is to configure a snapshot location. I did not mention this because in my experience Timeshift pops up the settings when you start it for the first time in the live environment.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

Hmm guess I need to use it in a live session so I can learn more. Thanks

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:08 am
Hmm guess I need to use it in a live session so I can learn more. Thanks
Huh? I was confirming what you said though?

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

I figured I should go actually see what it did in a live session and I just did. I have never had to use a live session TS that I can remember. Never messed it up that bad.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

HaveaMint wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:14 am
I figured I should go actually see what it did in a live session and I just did. I have never had to use a live session TS that I can remember. Never messed it up that bad.
Same, I never rendered my system entirely unbootable, the only times I used Timeshift it was to switch between system states for some bug hunting really, or to clean up after deliberately messing with the system with the intention of reverting back.

OP also did not need a live session to invoke Timeshift by the way but I think it's generally easiest for a newbie since no command line involved.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

HaveaMint ,

thanks for the answer. Like most things it is easy when you know how.

Best regards Keith

Return to “Software & Applications”