Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
strangeintp
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Nemo background color - old css fixes no longer work

Post by strangeintp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:25 am

I absolutely detest the blinding white background of Nemo's file browser. I fixed this on other PCs (with older versions of Mint, i.e. 18.x) using these directions viewtopic.php?t=216358 but this seemingly no longer works in 19.2? At least I can't get it to work on a new laptop that I did a clean install of 19.2 on. Did the Nemo code maintainers refactor the naming/container conventions or something? I'm guessing the fix may still be fairly simple but the css has to refer to a different object in the hierarchy?

I browsed through the Nemo github repo for a clue but nothing obvious jumped out at me and I even experimented a bit with different object references, e.g. "NemoWindow .view" to ".nemo-window .view" or ".nemo-view", but nothing seems to work, and I was stabbing the dark a little as I'm not sure how the references in the css files correspond to the codebase.

anyways, can someone suggest a fix for this or do I have to beg/plead with the code maintainers?
Last edited by strangeintp on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Nemo background color - old css fixes no longer work

Post by smurphos » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:47 am

The override file for GTK3 apps is

~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

I'm not near my Mint machine at the moment to double check the needed CSS but if you can wait a day or so I will be able to help.

The syntax has changed due to changes in underlying GTK versions with newer releases of Mint.

BTW if the reason you are avoiding just switching to a dark GTK theme is the Firefox issue with dark themes outlined in the linked thread, that is fixed is current Mint.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

strangeintp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo background color - old css fixes no longer work

Post by strangeintp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Yeah I tried the /.config override as well, didn't work. I'll try some of the dark themes and see if that works.... Nope, Mint-X-Dark does not darken the Nemo background. I can't find a theme that does.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out, though it wasn't quite intuitive. You have to pick a dark theme for the "Controls" options under themes.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo background color - old css fixes no longer work

Post by smurphos » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:27 am

Glad you worked it out....

If you were still interested in overriding the selected GTK/Controls theme for nemo view panes specifically the starting point for the content of ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css would be something like this in Mint 19.x (obviously with the hex color codes to your preference).

Quit nemo with nemo -q in a terminal to test edits.

Code: Select all

.nemo-window .view {
  background-color: #404040;
  color: #DBDBDB;
}

.nemo-window .nemo-inactive-pane .view {
  background-color: #303030;
  color: #CBCBCB; }

.nemo-window .view:selected:focus,
.nemo-window .view:selected,
.nemo-window .nemo-inactive-pane .view:selected:focus,
.nemo-window .nemo-inactive-pane .view:selected {
  background-color: #92b372; }
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”