Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Opera V60 import all settings to new Mint installation

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:15 am

I am planning to set up a new full installation of Linux Mint 19.1 on a USB SSD drive, and want to be able to import all of my current Opera settings to the new installation. I currently run Mint from a full install on a USB thumb drvie and have been using Opera. When I first set that up, I used the bookmark import tool from the version of Opera that I used in Win 7. It imported the bookmarks, but I seem to have duplicate favorites, etc - and hoped that there was a way to just import the entire Opera set up - passwords, favorites, Speed Dials, settings etc to the new install so that I wouldn't have to "rebuilt" everything. I also want to avoid having additional duplicate favorites if that can be done as well. This new install will be run on the same laptop that the current one is on, so I don't think any kind of synchronizing feature will work.

I've looked around here and online and can't seem to find a way to do this. I am hoping not to have to start over with Opera - so I hoped someone might have a way to do it!

Thanks!
Last edited by TNorth on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Opera V60 import all settings to new Mint installation

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Either keep your entire /home folder and thus all your settings for all apps, or back up at least your Opera settings folder: ~/.config/opera/ (may be called opera-developer or similar depending on your installed opera release) and restore it to the same location in the new install.

You could also copy your full settings folder from Win 7 instead, whichever is more current.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks!

So - a question:
gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Either keep your entire /home folder and thus all your settings for all apps, or back up at least your Opera settings folder: ~/.config/opera/ (may be called opera-developer or similar depending on your installed opera release) and restore it to the same location in the new install.
How do I do that? Do I copy the entire /home folder, onto a thumb drive and paste the contents into the new /home folder? That would be great if it recreated the entire installation and all of my data so far.

And the same would go for the Opera folder? Will that move all of the settings etc and apply them to the new install? And should I do the Thunderbird folder separately - or will it also move if I use the entire /home folder method?

Mint is more current than Win 7 - so I will want to use that.

Thanks again!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 pm

TNorth wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:29 pm
gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm
How do I do that? Do I copy the entire /home folder, onto a thumb drive and paste the contents into the new /home folder? That would be great if it recreated the entire installation and all of my data so far.
It will only keep your user settings (things like desktop and application settings) and your user data, not system settings like e.g. network connections.

You can indeed just copy it over (in fact you could copy your entire installation over instead of reinstalling if you wanted to). You don't need to copy it to another thumb drive since you already have it on one if I understood you correctly, so you can just copy it off that once you're done with the installation. You should copy it before you reboot into your new system because some files cannot be replaced while in use. In the file browser just browse to both locations (should be /home/username on each partition) and copy the contents from one to the other - make sure that hidden files are set to be visible for all the settings are in hidden files and folders.
TNorth wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:29 pm
And the same would go for the Opera folder? Will that move all of the settings etc and apply them to the new install? And should I do the Thunderbird folder separately - or will it also move if I use the entire /home folder
It'll all be included in your home folder.

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 pm
In the file browser just browse to both locations (should be /home/username on each partition) and copy the contents from one to the other - make sure that hidden files are set to be visible for all the settings are in hidden files and folders.
OK - so just to get this straight in my mind - I have a full install of Mint running on a thumb drive. I'll be dealing with two separate drives - not partitions on the same one. To install Mint on the new SSD drive, I'll need to boot into my Yumi multiboot drive where the iso is first, so I'm not sure how copying the entire install would work.

Anyway - how would I see the "old" thumb drive that has all of the stuff I want to copy over? Will it be visible from the new SSD install like my old Win 7 drive is? Sorry I'm a bit confused on this - I'm pretty new at it LOL!

But even if I can copy the entire home folder onto a separate drive - it will be great if the settings and things can just be moved and not have to do a lot of recreating everything.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 pm

TNorth wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm
To install Mint on the new SSD drive, I'll need to boot into my Yumi multiboot drive where the iso is first, so I'm not sure how copying the entire install would work.
You'll have to boot the Linux Mint live environment, not your existing install. Your existing install is in a separate partition.
TNorth wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:11 pm
Anyway - how would I see the "old" thumb drive that has all of the stuff I want to copy over? Will it be visible from the new SSD install like my old Win 7 drive is?
Yep.

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Great - thanks! So much to think about and get straight before I wade into it and end up making a mistake!

Thanks for the help! :D

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Just make sure you copy your files instead of moving them, so everything remains on your existing thumb drive as well. That means you keep a working system plus a working set of your files in case something goes wrong. :)

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 pm

OK - so in the case of copying the home folder - is this right:

1. Open /home in my file manager
2. Select all

Now usually I'd copy the selection, but I don't see how to do that. :?

When I select all of the folders/files within the /home folder, they all get "greened" out, and my next step usually is to right click/copy them - but when I try to do that, there is no copy choice. Individual folders within that /home folder can be copied, but not all of them at once? I must be missing something?? Or is there some other way to copy the whole folder?

Sorry - pretty dense...

ETA: Or aha? I think I see a way: Edit>select all, then click Edit again and choose, Copy To> and select the folder where I'll be copying to! Hope that is the path. But - when I copy it to the /home folder in the new install - will it overwrite any files there that are similar like the documents? Or will there then be two copies of each subfolder or will it replace duplicates with the one I copy over? How do I handle that?

Thanks again for your patience!!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Existing files will have to be overwritten. Won't be many on a fresh install.

You could also just copy the entire folder assuming your user name will be the same on the new system, but doing it via the file explorer you'd run into a permissions issue that's not worth getting into.

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TNorth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Great - thanks so much. I think I'll try it folder by folder of the ones I need - and if I can just get the Opera settings and Thunderbird, that will be a big help!

Much appreciated!

Return to “Software & Applications”