Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ytene
Level 3
Level 3

System Monitoring Over Time

Post by ytene » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:01 am

Hello Everyone...

This isn't really a Mint-specific question, but I'm hoping the community might have a suggestion or two for me.

I have a couple of hosts that I would like to subject to performance monitoring over a fairly lengthy period of time - certainly days or weeks, perhaps longer. I'd like to be able to sample their utilisation (CPU, RAM, Disk and Network IO, etc) on a recurring basis and at fixed intervals.

I'd then like to be able to go back and look at the data in an "off line" mode.

Years ago, when I was a sysadmin for a bunch of mainframes running an OS called GCOS7 (Honeywell-Bull DPS7000 machines), it came with a utility called "System Behavior Reporter" that could be configured to take samples and dump the output to file for later analysis. See here:-

https://support.bull.com/ols/product/sy ... 03US07.pdf

I'm aware that there are some excellent real-time system monitoring tools available, but this won't help me as I would like to be tracking whole-system performance over daily and weekly cycles.

I'd be very grateful for any recommendations for available tools that might be able to help me with this. I *think* that the sorts of features I'm looking for might be:-

1. Relatively low resource consumption when active
2. Ability to specify what parameters are collected
3. Ability to tailor collection to a specific application or binary, if required (e.g. if running Apache2 to host say NextCloud or Drupal)
4. Ability to write output to a log file
5. Ability to either parse log file into a spreadsheet, or come up with an export mechanism for a spreadsheet, to allow me to plot charts and/or graphs to show consumption over time...

It might be that there's a turnkey package out there that does all that in one place.
It might be that I'm going to have to dig in to individual packages (like Apache, the Zend Engine for PHP, etc) to pull out statistics

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Software & Applications”