Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

SOLVED: Additional Question about Opera settings import

Post by TNorth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Hello,

I have a quick follow-up to the discussion about Opera V60 import all settings to new Mint installation that I marked as solved.

I find I have one additional question about importing those Opera settings. As noted in that discussion, I am planning to set up a new full installation of Linux Mint 19.1 on a USB SSD drive, and want to be able to import all of my current Opera settings to the new installation. I currently run Mint from a full install on a USB thumb drvie and have been using Opera there.

The advice I got from gm10
gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Either keep your entire /home folder and thus all your settings for all apps, or back up at least your Opera settings folder: ~/.config/opera/ (may be called opera-developer or similar depending on your installed opera release) and restore it to the same location in the new install.
is what I think I am going to do.

My question - which is probably pretty obvious to most - do I download a copy of Opera and then restore the .config/opera file or do I just copy the .config/opera file into the .config folder without downloading Opera first? I wasn't sure if that folder would actually recreate the program itself, or if it just recreates my settings, bookmarks, etc.

Thanks for a little more guidance on this - I appreciate it! This is all a learning experience, and I am just not sure of that part of this process.
Last edited by TNorth on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Additional Question about Opera settings import

Post by gm10 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:07 pm

You'll still need to install the software. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

TNorth
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Additional Question about Opera settings import

Post by TNorth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm

That's what I thought - but not quite sure! Thanks so much for your patience and help! :D

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: SOLVED: Additional Question about Opera settings import

Post by gm10 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm

You got it. :)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Software & Applications”