Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Timeshift creates many flatpak files every time

Post by fstjohn » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:46 am

I notice that on every backup, timeshift newly creates thousands of flatpak files even if nothing has changed. Is this normal and is there some way to prevent it. Are there some flatpak folders, like tmp, that can be excluded from the backup without breaking the restore if needed?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Timeshift creates many flatpak files every time

Post by WharfRat » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Timeshift backups are not incremental so every file is included all the time.

What you can do is add a filter, e.g., add a folder to exclude if you don't want to include flatpak files.

/var/lib/flatpak/ has a boatload of files :wink:
ImageImage

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:35 pm

WharfRat wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 pm
Timeshift backups are not incremental so every file is included all the time.
Yes, but if they have not been modified they won't take up any additional disk space because they will just be hard linked to the identical file in the previous snapshot. Important detail to understand in this context. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Each snapshot is a complete backup of your system. Even though they haven't changed they still are there. Use Disks to look at the used space where your snapshots are stored and note the free space. Close it and make a snapshot. Now check your free space. Do it again and you should see no measurable change, yet each snapshot is a full recovery (depending how it's configured.) In essence it only adds the files that have changed to the new snapshot.
This is how my Timeshift is configured for Ext4 and only my data is left unaffected.
Timeshift.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Please remember that Timeshift is not a backup solution, and should never be referred to as one. It is a means to recover from individual changes that may have caused unwanted consequences. If you want a real backup solution, use something like Lucky Backup, Grsync, rsync, and many other similar tools.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Software & Applications”