Preferred Applications - Custom option...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Preferred Applications - Custom option...

Post by tenfoot »

Using LM v19.2 Mate.

I've been using Linux Mint since v3.0 Cassandra and when Gnom2 hit the dust changed to the pre-Mate DE and then to Mate and have remained with it ever since, other than a few attempts to adapt to Cinnamon, because it is so beautiful.

One of the things I found very satisfying was that in Preferred Applications there was an option labelled Custom, which allowed the user to type the command to launch a preferred application. The Custom option was available for both web browser and email client. At some time.and I have no idea when, this option disappeared and one is left with the default only.

Although not a game changer, because it easy to set up a keyboard shortcut to launch the preferred applications, using the default keys allocated in the distribution, it still annoys me each time I have to do this, although it is only when I decide to do a fresh installation.

Does anyone know when the option for a Custom option was dropped and why? And, is anyone annoyed about it?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Preferred Applications - Custom option...

Post by pbear »

Don't know whether this will suit your needs, but throw it out for consideration.

You can do this pretty easily from File Manager. Right-click the file for which you want to set a preferred app. Select Open with Other Application ...
Notice Use a custom command below the list and the tick box for Remember this application ...

Close enough?

Return to “Software & Applications”