Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mraamohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Email Client

Post by mraamohamed »

Hello there, my name is Abdi I am new to Linux, and I am having a hard time setting up my email app. I am using Thunderbird for Mint, and I can sign in on he web (chrome) but when I try to use the Thunderbird it says that my password or user is not right, I am able to access my email from chrome no problem, even after I set up in thunderbird it takes me to the Gmail authorization and I am able to log in their as well, just the app itself is broken and even try another email app still same.

Any suggestions are great.

Thanks
Abdi
Abdulah Mohamed

Videographer / Blogger / Producer
mraamohamed@gmail.com

buleadventures.rf.gd/

WhatsApp 628114301800

Bule Studios ,
Jl Borong Raya Komplex Graha Jannah land 1 blok c no. 22
Makassar Sulawesi Selatan Indonesian 90234
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Email Client

Post by rene »

Just a quick heads-up before I have to run, ignore any advise you may get about needing to enable "less secure apps" access to Gmail in your Gmail settings; that hasn't been true for some time and isn't for me; I am using Thunderbird on 19.2 with Gmail just fine, having gone through the procedure you describe with the web-based Gmail authentication Thunderbird-sides. So, don't know what to the issue could be --- although you may of course try if something is keeping that new "secure" Gmail signon from working for you by seeing if it it does work if you allow "less secure apps".
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

it says that my password or user is not right
Hi,
I think its a possibility you answered your own question.
It can be a bit difficult to set up sometimes but do try from scratch and make sure you have got the correct password (zeros and letter o, or little L can look like capital i)

Try it again carefully and slowly and see if that makes a difference.
mraamohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mraamohamed »

I have done that and NO I know my password, I use the same password for many times have even logged out and back online with the same password works fine online just the app not accept, I will try the NON-secure thing mentioned above and see if that helps.
Abdulah Mohamed

mraamohamed@gmail.com

buleadventures.rf.gd/

WhatsApp 628114301800

Bule Studios ,
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

It would help us to help you if we knew what version on Linux you are using (LinuxMint 19.2, Ubuntu 18.04, etc) and which Desktop Environment (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, etc) ?
Don't forget to setup your email account is Preferences --> Online Accounts if using Cinnamon DE.
mraamohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mraamohamed »

I am using Cinnamon, and what is the DE mean? I have setup all accounts, Facebook, Google Etc, and still get the message in the email app Thunderbird.....Hmmmmm
Abdulah Mohamed

mraamohamed@gmail.com

buleadventures.rf.gd/

WhatsApp 628114301800

Bule Studios ,
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

mraamohamed wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 am
I am using Cinnamon, and what is the DE mean?
DE means Desktop Environment. Your DE is Cinnamon. So that question has been answered.

I'm using Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, myself... and it's useful to put that bit of information in every question posted on the forum.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mraamohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mraamohamed »

rene wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:36 pm
Just a quick heads-up before I have to run, ignore any advise you may get about needing to enable "less secure apps" access to Gmail in your Gmail settings; that hasn't been true for some time and isn't for me; I am using Thunderbird on 19.2 with Gmail just fine, having gone through the procedure you describe with the web-based Gmail authentication Thunderbird-sides. So, don't know what to the issue could be --- although you may of course try if something is keeping that new "secure" Gmail signon from working for you by seeing if it it does work if you allow "less secure apps".
Hello thanks for the tip, but where do I find the setting for that, I was looking on the ONLINE version of Gmail did not see it. Thanks again for your help.

Abdi
Abdulah Mohamed

mraamohamed@gmail.com

buleadventures.rf.gd/

WhatsApp 628114301800

Bule Studios ,
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Ah,

I see what the problem might be, possibly.

Let us make another account from scratch in Thunderbird.
So, after you click 'Add Email Account', type in your email address and password.
Then Continue.
Then you get to a screen where you are offered OAuth2 - is that correct?
That has to be enabled - Thunderbird will open a screen that looks like a gmail login which you'll have to re-type your email/password then press OK to 'enable less secure apps'

Which bit of that doesn't show up?
IrwinElectronics
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IrwinElectronics »

To all having trouble connecting to Gmail: Apparently Google changed their auth once again, and broke older versions of Thunderbird. The current version in Linux Mint is 60.9.0. The version direct from thunderbird.net is 68.2.2. I have verified the latest version of Thunderbird resolves the problem.To all having trouble connecting to Gmail: Apparently Google changed their auth once again, and broke older versions of Thunderbird. The current version in Linux Mint is 60.9.0. The version direct from thunderbird.net is 68.2.2. I have verified the latest version of Thunderbird resolves the problem.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

mraamohamed wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Hello thanks for the tip, but where do I find the setting for that
When you log in to your Google account (i.e., your Google account, not just Gmail) it's under Security -> Less secure apps. But never mind; it's not going to help. I just tried moving my existing Thunderbird profile out of the way and re-adding my Gmail account in a fresh copy of Thunderbird 60.9.0 on Mint 19.2 just to be greeted by the same behaviour you describe: the Gmail web-based OAuth thingy opens, you log in, give access --- and upon returning to Thunderbird sec. it then still refuses to accept your credentials.

Things work fine also in 60.9.0 with the authentication set up with a previous version but for newly added accounts seems you want to listen to IrwinElectronics only. I.e., sorry, it's broken in Mint's Thunderbird...
Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

I’ve been following this thread because I have the same problem.

Can’t make up my mind whether it is Thunderbird (no longer run by Monzilla) or G-mail that has screwed things up, but I need to be able to download E-Mails onto my computer as I don’t always have an internet connection whilst travelling.

So, can anyone recommend a Mail Handler that works with G-Mail to replace Thunderbird?

Thanks

Bob
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Bob M wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:05 pm
So, can anyone recommend a Mail Handler that works with G-Mail to replace Thunderbird?
Thunderbird. And specifically, version 68.2.2, going by Irwin above. As in, neither Thunderbird nor Gmail is fully/primarily to blaim; Mint shipping obsolete versions of it would be a bigger part of the problem.
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

If Thunderbird causes problems, Sylpheed or Claws Mail (a fork from Sylpheed) would be worth a try. In my case, gmail worked with Sylpheed right away.

Both are easy to find and install with the Synaptic Package Manager.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...
Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M »

Ok, starting with rene.

You make a valid point about Mint not shipping the latest version of Thunderbird, so, the question is, how do I install the latest version when Synaptic says I’ve got the latest version?

My guess is it must be a Terminal instruction but what? As you can see I’m not up to speed with Linux. :oops:

Absque: I installed Sylpheed via Synaptic and the installation went smoothly and the program looks good, however, it won’t do anything. No error messages, nothing, really quite odd as one usually gets an error message of some sort if there is a problem?

So I now have two Mail Handlers, one with Authentication problems and the other, well I’ve no idea, as it just doesn’t show any mail when there is heaps. :D
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Bob M wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
Ok, starting with rene.
That sounds ominous...

Anyways. Can not find a useful looking PPA so you'd basically install it manually. I.e., you'd go to https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ and click the green "Free Download" button, let the at the moment resulting "thunderbird-68.2.2.tar.bz2" download to e.g. ~/Downloads as usual. Install into, again e.g., /opt by from a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo tar -C /opt -xvjf ~/Downloads/thunderbird-68.2.2.tar.bz2
For good measure download the to this post attached thunderbird68.txt file as well and place it in /usr/share/applications/ with

sudo cp ~/Downloads/thunderbird68.txt /usr/share/applications/thunderbird68.desktop
Note that that .desktop file is just a minimally path-edited and localisation-stripped version of the standard /usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop (and that the .txt is due just to dumb board-restrictions on "extensions" of attachments).

At this point you may first want to backup your original profile just in case something appears wrong or undesirable. Close your current Thunderbird and:

rsync -av ~/.thunderbird{,.orig}
You then have a copy of your current ~/.thunderbird in ~/.thunderbird.orig (note that "~" means your home directory) and can always restore it.

The dumping of the thunderbird68.desktop file in /usr/share/applications will have made a "Thunderbird 68" entry appear next to your old Thunderbird entry in the menus; feel free to start and configure it. I have now verified myself that adding a Gmail account works fine with that version.

The above as described installs into /opt, with a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications, i.e., system-wide. If you'd rather have the new version installed per-user, holler and I'll expand.
Attachments
thunderbird68.txt
(661 Bytes) Downloaded 38 times
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Oh, I'm not in fact sure any more whether or not /opt exists OOTB. If not, sudo mkdir /opt before that first sudo tar command.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Mmm. For entertainment value; it might actually be possible to start Thunderbird 68 just once with the old profile, create the Gmail account with it, exit it and then see if the old Thunderbird will now accept that Gmail account. It does as said with accounts added in previous versions even if the system's broken in the current one...

In that case there would be no need to install the 68 version. I.e., rather than above mentioned tar, you just unpack in your home directory:

$ cd
$ tar xvjf ~/Downloads/thunderbird-68.2.2.tar.bz2
$ thunderbird/thunderbird
create Gmail account and exit, verify with old Thunderbird. If that works you are free to delete the unpacked tree and downloaded archive again

Anyways...
absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Bob M wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 pm
Ok, starting with rene.

You make a valid point about Mint not shipping the latest version of Thunderbird, so, the question is, how do I install the latest version when Synaptic says I’ve got the latest version?

My guess is it must be a Terminal instruction but what? As you can see I’m not up to speed with Linux. :oops:

Absque: I installed Sylpheed via Synaptic and the installation went smoothly and the program looks good, however, it won’t do anything. No error messages, nothing, really quite odd as one usually gets an error message of some sort if there is a problem?

So I now have two Mail Handlers, one with Authentication problems and the other, well I’ve no idea, as it just doesn’t show any mail when there is heaps. :D
I'm just moving out and quickly installed Sylpheed on Windows 10: Google is running amok - gmail on Thunderbird have barely allowed it, but Sylpheed they currently see as a horrible danger !
They're paranoid in California... :roll:

By the way: Sylpheed doesn't allow html and other gimmicks - just plain text. That means it's safer per se than a bloated monster like Thunderbird. And that should be insecure then.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...
mraamohamed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mraamohamed »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:27 pm
Ah,

I see what the problem might be, possibly.

Let us make another account from scratch in Thunderbird.
So, after you click 'Add Email Account', type in your email address and password.
Then Continue.
Then you get to a screen where you are offered OAuth2 - is that correct?
That has to be enabled - Thunderbird will open a screen that looks like a gmail login which you'll have to re-type your email/password then press OK to 'enable less secure apps'

Which bit of that doesn't show up?
I get all that stuff, I can login through there just fine, and also login on web browser, it is just the APP that gives me the error.
Abdulah Mohamed

mraamohamed@gmail.com

buleadventures.rf.gd/

WhatsApp 628114301800

Bule Studios ,

Return to “Software & Applications”