One site causing issues <UN - Solved>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

One site causing issues <UN - Solved>

Post by lsemmens »

I collect stamps and have developed a database to catalogue them. When working I have several windows open at a time 1. Nautilus, 2. Base, 3. Gcstar (old data) 4. firefox.

Only when I have a certain site https://issuu.com/stamps/docs open and viewing one of the stamp bulletins. After a while, (no specific time) my system suddenly slows down to a crawl. Closing Firefox down will usually fix it, however, being able to get to that window to shut it down does not always work. I can sit there with my hands folded on my lap watching the cursor move around by itself on the screen as though someone else has control of my mouse. Occasionally, waiting patiently lets me return back to normal. Many times the ONLY way to solve the issue is to hit the power button and forcibly shut the machine down. I initially thought that the desktop background changer was the culprit, but having disabled that it must be that web site. Is there any way I can determine what the issue is so that I can block the culprit or try and jump up and down on the webmaster?

Code: Select all

leigh@leigh-HP-ProBook-470-G2:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: leigh-HP-ProBook-470-G2 Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 470 G2 
  v: A3009DD10303 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2249 v: KBC Version 67.24 serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: M74 Ver. 01.09 date: 01/26/2015 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 46.1 Wh condition: 46.1/46.1 Wh (100%) 
  model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-4210U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Haswell rev: 1 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 19155 
  Speed: 820 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 
  3: 798 4: 798 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: AMD Topaz PRO [Radeon R5 M255] vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 0a:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati,modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:03.0 
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-66-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 
  bus ID: 08:00.0 
  IF: enp8s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl 
  v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 09:00.0 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.24 GiB used: 88.13 GiB (73.9%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 PRO 128GB size: 119.24 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 116.87 GiB used: 88.13 GiB (75.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: 0.0 C gpu: amdgpu temp: 43 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 208 Uptime: 23m Memory: 7.20 GiB used: 1.13 GiB (15.7%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
Firefox is at 70.0.1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: One site causing issues

Post by pbear »

lsemmens wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:56 amMany times the ONLY way to solve the issue is to hit the power button and forcibly shut the machine down.
You don't want to do that. Shutdown with the power button can bollix the file system, requiring an fsck repair. Much better to do a soft shutdown with "raising elephants." (If you forget the sequence, a quick internet search on your phone using that phrase will turn it up.) Hold down Alt; meanwhile, press and release SysRq (a laptop generally will require the Fn key for this); still holding Alt, type the following (upper or lower case, doesn’t matter), pausing a couple seconds between each: R E I S U O; for reboot, replace O with B.

What the sequence does is terminate processes before shutting down (or rebooting). It works because that particular sequence goes straight to the Linux kernel, bypassing the frozen operating system. For more info, see Wiki and How-To Geek.

Sorry, no ideas about the main problem.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Hi,

Did you noticed swapping started while using all these apps at the same time? It sure looks like that is happening. Maybe, you should check what is hogging RAM a bit more closely.

If it is Firefox that you suspect is leaking memory while you're reading the magazines at issue (BTW, never noticed anything similar), did you try with a different browser Edit: or with FF extensions turned off? Maybe there's a way in Firefox to check how much memory each addon uses individually possibly causing this stall, I forgot.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

What's happening to the CPU temps while this is happening? I found recently after a couple of hours of youtubes the whole laptop slowed to a crawl and was unusable. Rebooting made no difference. Waiting a while did. CPU was running in the mid 80Cs, not enough to throttle the CPU but I assume hot enough for long enough to affect something else.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Test with another browser, in which you haven't installed any add-on. I recommend Chromium or Chrome.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Sorry I haven't been back sooner, ended up taking the wife back to hospital - 1 1/2 hours away along with time in A&E before they admit her. This, sadly is a regular occurrence, so not biggie, just a nuisance.

Now, back to the issue at hand. Can't perform a REISUB as the keyboard is also non responsive. A power refresh is the only way, although I do agree, it is not the best solution, though Linux is waaaaaay more forgiving than Windwoes in that respect.

Is there a utility that can tell me what was hogging RAM after the event. because I can certainly do no trouble shooting whilst the system is bogged down.

As I am using an SSD It is hard to tell if swappiness is an issue, although I have 8Gb of RAM, I doubt it.

CPU Temps seem normal again there is no evidence to the contrary, and I'd expect that to happen more regularly than with one site.

Another browser is on the cards, though I do find it strange that only one site causes me issues, I certainly have more windows open when browsing other fora.
Fully mint Household
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

^It's easy to check that with System Monitor. You can see both RAM and CPU load and individual applications/processes causing it when it happens again.

FWIW, I'm using Chrome and it never gave me griefs of this kind while reading staff on issue.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

lsemmens wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:56 am Another browser is on the cards, though I do find it strange that only one site causes me issues, I certainly have more windows open when browsing other fora.
I always have at least one spare web browser alongside Firefox. Usually both Chrome and Chromium.

From time to time this proves useful for some troublesome website, probably because I've tweaked my Firefox quite a bit (Firefox is, by far, the easiest browser to tweak!). For this reason I tweak Chrome only a little, and Chromium not at all.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

all the basic information you will need after a crash or freeze is in .xsession-errors & .xsession-errors.old most of it is garbled gooblycack but something might point you in the right direction

what i think is happening is either dns issue or adblockers, since i do see that your site has a pingback feature. when i click your site it does take more than a few seconds to connect, this tells me the site is using tracking which i think is being blocked on my end
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

My DNS is 1.1.1.1. 1.0.0.1, Cloudflare...using Brave Browser with everything activated for ad/tracking blocks...Ublock Origin all blocks activated...Trace tracking protection in use, and Browser Plugs for Chromium based browsers......Tried your Australian Stamp Site with no problem...went into it it in a flash of a second, so i do not think that DNS or Ad blockers, Tracking Blockers are the issue...DAMIEN

PS...my crap is set to genuine tinfoil hat paranoia mode...lol...lol.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I just opened the address in question with Vivaldi: 8 tabs and two additional windows in full screen - no problems detected.
But with Firefox in general - since version 70 this part is completely messed up...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Yeah, sometimes it works fine, other times it bogs me down. At one stage I can have several tabs open and no trouble, at others, only one and it falls over. I suspect it's one of their ads that is the culprit.

Anyway I shall try another browser and see.
Fully mint Household
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

lsemmens wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 pm Yeah, sometimes it works fine, other times it bogs me down. At one stage I can have several tabs open and no trouble, at others, only one and it falls over. I suspect it's one of their ads that is the culprit.

Anyway I shall try another browser and see.
The following add-ons were installed in Vivaldi:
  • uBlock Origin (all filters, including experimental ones enabled)
  • Decentraleyes
  • Cookie Autodelete
  • HTTPS Everywhere
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You've sold me, will give Vivaldi a try. :D
Fully mint Household
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

lsemmens wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:56 am Can't perform a REISUB as the keyboard is also non responsive.
Note that this is extremely unlikely. Yes, your keystrokes will not appear in, say, a terminal but Alt+SysRq (Alt+PrintScreen) combinations type directly to the kernel. Alt+SysRq+REISUB/O is not going to fail to reboot/shutdown.

However; you are not likely to in fact need to reboot or shutdown. You describe a textbook memory leak + plus resulting swapstorm, and simply forcefully killing the at that point worst memory hog, the browser or these days even just browser tab, will generally be all you need to recover. Doing that is a matter of Alt+SysRq+F, after in fact having enabled that option by editing /etc/sysctl.conf, uncommenting the "kernel.sysrq=1" line and running sudo sysctl -p.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Thanks rene - Alt+SysRq+REISUB/O did not, in fact, work. I do agree with the memory leak diagnosis. I have just installed Vivaldi and am typing this from there right now. I'll be testing from that browser (which has impressed me already) in days to come. :D
Fully mint Household
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Sorry, not going to believe you as to Alt+SysRq+REISUB; there's hardly an opportunity for it to not work --- although looking at the earlier description, I have always kept Alt+SysRq pressed while typing the other commands. For Alt+SysRq+F you need the mentioned sysctl, but REISUB works OOTB on Mint.

But, good luck with Vivaldi. It's Chromium-based so might not fail on too many sites...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

REISUO/REISUB - Depends on how your keyboard is labelled, on mine, no key labelled SysRq, instead it is the PrtScn key

So Alt + PrtScn + REISUO :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Vivaldi has been steady as a rock so far. So I might be onto a winner here. It's now just a matter of updating all of my links and passwords.

Is there a method whereby I can open a link in a new tab in the background without having to press any modifier keys.

I know I can do it by <Ctrl><Click>on a link. But, back in the bad old days of Firefox 40, I could set an option in FF to open all links in a new background tab.

<Right click> and <Open Link in New Tab> does what it promises, but also gives focus to new tab. Which is not my intent
Fully mint Household
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

lsemmens wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:58 am Vivaldi has been steady as a rock so far. So I might be onto a winner here. It's now just a matter of updating all of my links and passwords.

Is there a method whereby I can open a link in a new tab in the background without having to press any modifier keys.

I know I can do it by <Ctrl><Click>on a link. But, back in the bad old days of Firefox 40, I could set an option in FF to open all links in a new background tab.

<Right click> and <Open Link in New Tab> does what it promises, but also gives focus to new tab. Which is not my intent
A click on the scroll wheel opens the new tab in the background.

Return to “Software & Applications”