Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jmelton
Level 1
Level 1

LibreOffice bugs

Post by jmelton »

I'm experiencing an annoying bug with LibreOffice 6.2. Occasionally, when I make an edit, the space bar doesn't add spaces in the right place. So, for example, instead of typing a comma followed by a space and a word, LibreOffice will type the space first and then the comma and the word. I have not found any information about this bug anywhere.

I'm thinking maybe I should uninstall and then reinstall a different version of LibreOffice, as there's not any particular reason why I have to have this version. However, that brings me to the subject of another glitch I've experienced with more than one version of it: The keyboard shortcut for making comments (Cntrl-Alt-C) doesn't work. So, I guess my question is, is there a way to uninstall every trace of LibreOffice before reinstalling, and is there a version of LibreOffice that isn't buggy? Thanks!

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LibreOffice bugs

Post by JerryF »

Uninstall LibreOffice using Software Manager.

Then I would use Synaptic Package Manager to remove the remnants. Not sure how versed you are in Synaptic.

Make sure "All" is selected in the top left column.
Click on "Search" and type the word "libreoffice"
See if any of the items listed has is still installed. You'll get some with a box filled and some empty. The ones filled in are still installed.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Right-click on the ones still installed and click on "Mark for Complete Removal".
Then click on Apply towards the top.
You may get a warning that other packages will also be uninstalled. That's ok.
Open Terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo rm -fr /home/jerry/.config/libreoffice
Substitute jerry with your username.

That should remove any traces for your username settings.

Then install LibreOffice from Software Manager, which is the current, stable version: 6.0.7.3 for Mint's repository.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

jmelton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmelton »

Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Just as a thought, is this repeatable? i.e. always only when you type comma and space, or does it happen randomly. I sometimes get this but that is only because I type faster than my fingers can keep up. and transpose letters on occasion. I go back and correct it, and it remains corrected. (Even here I had to correct a few words because of finger poking errors :D)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

The latest version from libreoffice website is V6.3.3.2

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

kato181 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 am
I'd still recommend using the version from the repository. It's usually the most stable.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

jmelton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmelton »

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:10 pm
Just as a thought, is this repeatable? i.e. always only when you type comma and space, or does it happen randomly. I sometimes get this but that is only because I type faster than my fingers can keep up. and transpose letters on occasion. I go back and correct it, and it remains corrected. (Even here I had to correct a few words because of finger poking errors :D)
Yes, it always happens. I've now discovered that it happens when what I've deleted includes a period, not only when it includes a comma. I'm using LibreOffice 6.3.3, so I suppose I'll go back to an earlier version, but I'm not sure how far back I'll need to go to avoid this bug. Anyone have any thoughts on what the most stable/bug-free version of LO is?

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

jmelton wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:10 pm
Anyone have any thoughts on what the most stable/bug-free version of LO is?
See Kato181 and JerryF above, but before I'd uninstall or reinstall software I'd try another keyboard.
JerryF wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:17 am
kato181 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:28 am
I'd still recommend using the version from the repository. It's usually the most stable.
Jon LO 6.3.3.2

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

If this problem is on a laptop, are you sure your palm isn't on the touchpad and moving the cursor?

erikjan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erikjan »

Dear jmelton,
I vaguely remember that a space before a comma is cutomary in French texts. Maybe LO has a setting for countries/languages that follow this custom. I do not know where to find this kind of setting in LO, but it might be worthwile to search for it. Do you use French, or doyou have a French keyboard?

Good luck with your search.

Erik

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

jmelton wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:32 am
Occasionally, when I make an edit, the space bar doesn't add spaces in the right place.
I'm curious to hear whether anyone else can reproduce this problem, cuz I can't (repo version, 6.0.7.3).

Anyhoo, before you start ripping out LO and reinstalling, make sure you take a Timeshift snapshot so you can easily get back to where you are now. Been a couple years now, but I remember going through this with another user who ended up having to reinstall the whole operating system. LO is complex and widely tangled with other packages.

Then, if you're going to do this, I've found it simpler and more reliable to run just two commands in Terminal: apt purge libreoffice* (sudo not needed, but enter password when requested), then apt install libreoffice. Notice the first command has an asterisk but the second does not. That's intentional. Purge has to catch lots of packages with slightly different names. Install is a metapackage which brings in all the others in one fell swoop.

ETA: As explained in my follow-up post below, the better form of the install command would be apt install --install-recommends libreoffice.

All that assumes you installed LibreOffice the regular way. Is it possible this is a Flatpak? You could have done that with Software Manager. If so, report back before doing anything, as that changes things somewhat.
Last edited by pbear on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

I can't reproduce that problem either and I have the latest version

jmelton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmelton »

I did all of that and now LibreOffice won't start at all. So I guess there are broken links for some reason. What directory is it supposed to be in when you install it from Software Manager? I guess I can check that it's at least installed properly by starting it from a terminal.
JerryF wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Then I would use Synaptic Package Manager to remove the remnants. Not sure how versed you are in Synaptic.

See if any of the items listed has is still installed. You'll get some with a box filled and some empty. The ones filled in are still installed.
Shutter_009.jpg
Right-click on the ones still installed and click on "Mark for Complete Removal".

Then install LibreOffice from Software Manager, which is the current, stable version: 6.0.7.3 for Mint's repository.

jmelton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmelton »

Update: Turns out that the uno-libs3 library was removed when I followed your instructions to wipe the libreoffice install clean. So I reinstalled it: sudo apt install --reinstall uno-libs3 Everything works fine now. I wanted to let folks know that you are likely to run into this problem if you try to do a clean install of libreoffice.
jmelton wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:22 pm
I did all of that and now LibreOffice won't start at all. So I guess there are broken links for some reason. What directory is it supposed to be in when you install it from Software Manager? I guess I can check that it's at least installed properly by starting it from a terminal.
JerryF wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Shutter_009.jpg

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

jmelton wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:48 pm
Turns out that the uno-libs3 library was removed ...
This is a good example, I think, of how the simplicity of GUI tools is misleading. Point-and-click is easy, but it's vitally important (of course) to point at the right thing. By contrast, the arduous Terminal command I gave above (apt purge libreoffice*) does not remove uno-libs3. I just confirmed this by running a test on a VirtualBox snapshot. And even if it had, which is what I expected, it's hard to imagine a scenario where reinstalling wouldn't have brought it back. Moreover, by using Terminal, I know exactly what I did and can replicate it easily. A GUI app leaves no trail.

I have to correct one thing about my earlier post, though, and that's the real reason for this one. The install command I gave is incomplete. I said apt install libreoffice, where it should be apt install --install-recommends libreoffice. I forgot that I configure my system to treat recommends as dependencies (in which case the first form of the command is fine) but most folks don't, so they'll want the long version.

Return to “Software & Applications”