Anybody know of any GUI installer for Linux Mint 19.2 ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinParted

Anybody know of any GUI installer for Linux Mint 19.2 ?

Post by WinParted »

Does anyone know if there is a GUI package installer for Linux Mint 19.2 so terminal does not have to be used ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Anybody know of any GUI installer for Linux Mint 19.2 ?

Post by gm10 »

Tried clicking on a package in your file browser? :)
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Synaptic Package Manager
Software Manager

What are you trying to install?
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am Synaptic Package Manager
Software Manager

What are you trying to install?
Exactly. If it's sopmthing that comes in a tar.gz file and has to be compiled and built, no, you'll still need the terminal.

But Mint is based on Ubuntu, which has the biggest linux user base. If a program isn't available in at least a nice .deb file I can just right click, I almost certainly don't want it. Also building and compiling also means you have to sort out the program dependencies yourself. This is a truly excellent way for beginners to mess up their system.

The last thing I installed from a tar.gz file was a backported Broadcom wireless driver. That was actually essential.

In Linux beginners are usually advised to stick to the default repo versions, for good reason. I generally use SYnaptic package manager.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

GDebi
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

I`m learning still...Just want a easier quicker way of doing whatever.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

a tar.gz is a zipped file and needs to extracted first some will run right from extracted. Use the archive manager. Once it extracted there should be a Readme file that will explain how to install it with drivers they usually will be in a .bin file that will need to be installed via the terminal.

For Binary packages Gdebi is a GUI app that you can use.
For Packages in the official repositories or PPA's you can use Synaptic or the Software Manager.

Did you check with the Driver manager in the menu to see if the driver you want is available there? Most Broadcom drivers are available via that route But you have to connect the machine via Ethernet cable in order to download and install them.

Which Broadcom card do you have?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Like i said i`m still learning linux so any info is most welcome...I did install a DEB package, no harder than Windows just click and go.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

WinParted wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 pm I`m learning still...Just want a easier quicker way of doing whatever.
So, are you going to tell us which exact whatever you want to do?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:47 pm
WinParted wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 pm I`m learning still...Just want a easier quicker way of doing whatever.
So, are you going to tell us which exact whatever you want to do?
Ok i wan`t to do Whatever with linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

What exactly do you want to install?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Moem wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:25 am What exactly do you want to install?
Programs i want to install the easy way, not using the terminal etc. more like windows = deb packages just as easy as windows.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Have you tried the Software Manager yet? Because I think you'll like it.

WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Moem wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:56 am Have you tried the Software Manager yet? Because I think you'll like it.
I was playing with it earlier & thing`s linux are getting easier by the day, this forum help`s more than any other i have tried.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Glad to hear that!

WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Moem wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am Glad to hear that!
The only thing holding me back from making the switch to Mint is i just can`t find a PassWord manager i feel comfortable with, so far none has worked the way they are supposed to and i have tries several.
derrick1120
Level 3
Level 3

Post by derrick1120 »

Re Password manager, Lastpass browser extension works great on Firefox and Chrome. Used it for years with no problems. The free version will be fine for most users, and syncs across your devices.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Have you tried KeepassXC? it's in the repository works well for me.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Just so we don't repeat ourselves, WinParted's thread about password managers is here.

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<irony> Linux Mint comes with 3 graphical installers, Software Manager, Synaptic and Gdebi. Wow! Who would have suspected so?! Why is this announced nowhere? Why is there no User's Guide to be found anywhere? </irony>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”