Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zilcro
Level 2
Level 2

Chrome Freezing After Recent System Update

Post by zilcro »

A few days ago I updated Mint 19.2 Xfce. Now Chrome runs agonizingly slow. When I load a page that isn't cached - and often even when it is - Chrome will hesitate for 15-20 seconds and the loading indicator in the top browser tab literally freezes during that period of time.

Chrome worked fine with the prior version and Firefox loads and runs quickly, so I doubt that it's an issue with the computer. The current version of Chrome I'm using is 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build, 64 bit). All extensions and Hardware Acceleration have been disabled.

I suppose I could "downgrade" to the previous Chrome version, although I have never had to do that before.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by zilcro on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zilcro
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Chrome Freezing After Recent System Update

Post by zilcro »

Removed and purged Chrome, then re-installed it but no change. Removed Chrome again and installed Chromium via Software Manager. No more freezing and Chromium is quicker :).

flawyte
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Chrome Freezing After Recent System Update

Post by flawyte »

I'm having the same issue.

I've been using Mint for a while for development purposes in a VM on a Windows host. I recently bought a new PC so I installed the latest Mint 19.2 XFCE edition in my new VM. On my old PC I was using Mint 18.3 and never had any issue.

But since my upgrade to Mint 19.2 Chrome freezes several times per minute, for 4-5 seconds, which makes it almost completely unusable. I tried to install Chromium but the same issue happens, e.g. I open the browser and after a few seconds it freezes and I can't even type a URL in the search bar. I have to wait 5-10 sec for it to unfreeze and then I have to quickly type the URL before it freezes again ... :lol: (this sounds funny now while I'm writing this message from my Windows host, but it will definitely not be anymore when I'll have to go back to my VM to *try* to work).

By the way, during these freezes the rest of the system - Mint itself - remains reactive and isn't frozen, only Chrome freezes.

If no solution is found I'll have to downgrade to an older Mint version, hopefully fixing the issue.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Similar problem here as well with chromium based Brave Browser, my thinking is that this is probably due to the most recent updates to the Chromium based browsers themselves and not an operating system problem...DAMIEN

PS...Just froze for about 10 sec. again while trying to post this...only the browser freezes, nothing else does...lol
ORDO AB CHAO

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Just an update regarding this Chromium/Chrome as well as other Chromium based browsers.

After searching other forums as well as ours here, it seems that all of the chromium based browsers that were updated to the newest 79 version have been experiencing some form of freezing for some seconds but not freezing the OS itself.

I have several chromium based browsers here and the only one that i have that doesnt freeze is my Flashpeak/Slimjet browser.

I "believe" the reason for this is they do not immediately apply the latest chromium/chrome version updates as fast as the others do until they test it all out thoroughly before releasing, hopefully avoiding problems like this out of an abundance of caution.

Slimjet is still using version 76 and is not freezing at all.

For what its worth dept....DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

zilcro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zilcro »

Following up on this...

I started having the same issues after Chromium updated to the "79" edition. I ended up doing the same thing as Damien - installing the Slimjet version of Chromium. The only curious thing is that there are no instructions on their website for installing it on Mint, but I found them here (just change the version # in the command line).

I also reluctantly decided to remove "Solved" from the thread's title because this really isn't a permanent solution. Maybe someone else will come up with an actual fix :).

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi zilcro...That is why i always keep slimjet as my backup browser just because they are slower to update than the others and this is a prime example why others should have this kind of backup browser as well. There is not a fix that anyone here can or should do, this is a browser problem all in its self.

UPDATE...I contacted Brave this morning informing them of this issue.

They were very aware of windows users already having this problem.

I explained i was a Linux user etc. Surpisingly they asked If i was known as DAMIEN etc on the mint forum which i of coursed said yes.

It appears that someone there watches forum comments and had come across my comments on this particular thread, especially when i alluded to the fact that they inherited a chromium/chrome base problem, and probably all chromium based browsers that updated to the 79 version probably all had the flaw.

long story short, i now have the Brave browser 79 version 1.1.23...the error is in the 1.1.22 at least on Brave.

They will be rolling out the new "fixed" version to all others very shortly if they havent done so all ready, and im sure chromium and chrome etc. will be following suit...hang in there...repair is on the way...Mine is no longer freezing...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

zilcro
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zilcro »

Thanks for the info, Damien. I wasn't aware of the Brave browser version :).

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

That indicates that Damien is famous. :D
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

More like infamous i would think...lol...I am certainly nothing special...DAMIEN

EDIT...I should mention that i had one of the first beta's given to me to play with when they had just started out. Maybe thats how they know anything about me.
ORDO AB CHAO

ShellKnobCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShellKnobCat »

Sure glad I looked here because I've been going crazy trying to figure this out for the last week or so. Deleted Chrome and installed Chromium and of course same problem. Finally tried my backup browser Firefox and it's fine. I assume that Chrome will push out an update, hopefully soon, to fix this?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Sit tight...a "fix" is on its way...damien
ORDO AB CHAO

flawyte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flawyte »

Well let's hope the Chrome / Chromium teams are aware of this issue too because after posting my first answer in this thread I went to their issue tracker and couldn't find anything related to freezes in the latest Chrome version. Anyway it looks like Chrome 79 was kind of a "complicated" release considering it's not the only important bug it had : https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkell ... pdate-fix/ (will help you put things in perspective :'])

What's funny though in all this is that Chrome 79 comes with a new feature supposed to help consume less RAM called ... Tab freeze. I can confirm it freezes really well :lol:

EDIT: Someone just reported the issue https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23283471?hl=en on their Help forum.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

EDIT: Someone just reported the issue https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23283471?hl=en on their Help forum.
Phew. Good to see it's not just me. Thanks for the link flawyte - upvoted.
Running the same Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Manjaro with no problem though.

ShellKnobCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShellKnobCat »

So, any action on a fix yet? I really do not like Firefox and want to get back to using Chrome or Chromium!

Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I had the same problem with Chrome & Vivaldi on LM 19.3. Installed latest Chrome, same problem. So, I deleted Chrome. I had NO problems with vivaldi-stable_2.9.1705.41-1_amd64, but I upgraded/installed vivaldi-stable_2.10.1745.21-1_amd64, same lock-ups in Vivaldi. Removed Vivaldi
2.10.1745.21-1 and downgraded/installed vivaldi-stable_2.9.1705.41-1_amd64, NO problems whatsoever.
Vivaldi works great and is a derivative of Chromium.
NO problems with Opera latest version.
NO problems with Firefox latest version.
It seems that LM 19.3 has a glitch or two, or maybe it's Chrome & Vivaldi.
Happy Holidays to One & All.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

my menu entry for chrome+firejail. you can remove firejail and test it in a Terminal or use the firejail attachment. i did notice a few freezes but only with mint 19.3 which i downgraded back to 19.2 where all seems well for the moment. i have a different issue with 19.3 which i'll need to open a thread for help. but as for chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit) and mint 19.2 cinnamon things are as they were before

Code: Select all

firejail google-chrome-stable --ignore-gpu-blacklist --enable-native-gpu-memory-buffers --enable-gpu-rasterization --password-store=basic --force-device-scale-factor=1.3 %U

ShellKnobCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShellKnobCat »

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:52 pm
I had the same problem with Chrome & Vivaldi on LM 19.3. Installed latest Chrome, same problem. So, I deleted Chrome. I had NO problems with vivaldi-stable_2.9.1705.41-1_amd64, but I upgraded/installed vivaldi-stable_2.10.1745.21-1_amd64, same lock-ups in Vivaldi. Removed Vivaldi
2.10.1745.21-1 and downgraded/installed vivaldi-stable_2.9.1705.41-1_amd64, NO problems whatsoever.
Vivaldi works great and is a derivative of Chromium.
NO problems with Opera latest version.
NO problems with Firefox latest version.
It seems that LM 19.3 has a glitch or two, or maybe it's Chrome & Vivaldi.
Happy Holidays to One & All.
I'm running Chromium 79.0.3945.79 which is the latest stable version and it continues to freeze. Had the same problem with the latest Chrome before I deleted it and installed Chrome. I'm running Mint 19.3 kernel 4.15.0-72 64 bit. Firefox is fine.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi ShellKnobCat,

You will need to get the the latest version before your freezing problem will be solved.

You will have to wait for the update to be availabe to you is all. You do not have the latest stable version.

Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)...The latest stable version...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

ShellKnobCat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShellKnobCat »

I could not find Chromium stable 79.0.3945.88 any where so I deleted Chromium and installed Chrome stable 79.0.3945.88-1. No freezes so far in just a few minutes but will see how it goes. If it still freezes hopefully an update fix occurs soon.

Return to “Software & Applications”