How to run Irfanview executable slideshows with Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greentea
Level 3
Level 3

How to run Irfanview executable slideshows with Linux?

Post by greentea »

I have been using Mint Cinnamon for over one year and Mint was my first distro.
I have Windows 10 on another machine which I use occasionally.
My current machine is Linux only multi-boot with Mint and MX.

I have many IrfanView slideshows converted to .exe stand-alone executable files that I can currently run only on the Windows machine.

How can I run these Irfanview executable slideshows on Mint?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon primary; 21.3 xfce & LMDE 6 installed; home built Core i5-9600K with Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming Wi-Fi; RAM 16 GB; Intel UHD Graphics 630; system on: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB; storage & backup on: WD Black 1TB
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How to run Irfanview executable slideshows with Linux?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I suspect you will have to install VirtualBox, and then install some version of windows there.
and then run the executable within the Windows program inside VirtualBox.
Make sure you install Guest Extensions.

BTW, IrFanView is my favorite image viewer, but alas, it does not have a Linux equivalent.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Run it through Wine.

Or do the sensible thing and just re-create it with a native Linux program. Even the screensaver can do it, for example.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

If you don't have access to the original images, then you can run them in Windows machine and do a screen capture to convert them to video. That will allow you to play them in more devices.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

racer-x wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:23 am If you don't have access to the original images,
Of course they do, IrfanView slideshows support exporting the images they are made from.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

I used to run irfanview under wine, and it ran fine. I have now completely weaned myself off of windows programs, and run only native linux stuff. I would suggest the excellent XnViewMP as an alternative to irfanview. As far as your .exe slideshows are concerned, they should run fine under wine--just rt-click, open with, wine. I really prefer NOT having wine installed, but if that works for you, great!

Regards
Bob
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I use irfanview all the time and didn't know you could do that...so I made a .exe slideshow and it worked fine in wine.

But if you want to extract the images:
https://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#PAGE8

Q: How to extract images from the EXE Slideshow?
A: Start the EXE and press F1 for help. Use E hotkey for extraction.

Edit: Press "e" once during playback and it extracts all the images with the original filenames.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
greentea
Level 3
Level 3

Post by greentea »

WOW!
Thank you for all of the responses! I'm impressed. ;)
There is a lot here to be considered.
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:47 am I suspect you will have to install VirtualBox, and then install some version of windows there.
and then run the executable within the Windows program inside VirtualBox.
@AZgl1500
That's an interesting solution, however, I have zero experience with virtual environments.
I found a few youtube videos last night that should be helpful with getting VirtualBox installed and configured properly.
This will require study and more time to implement.
I do have a Windows 7 Home 64-bit installation CD, which may work for this purpose, but only 8GB of RAM.
I'm preparing a motherboard upgrade with a MSI Z390 A PRO and might also expand the memory to 16GB.
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:47 am Make sure you install Guest Extensions.
Thanks for that heads-up!
======
racer-x wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:23 am If you don't have access to the original images, then you can run them in Windows machine and do a screen capture to convert them to video. That will allow you to play them in more devices.
@racer-x
Interesting. I'll give that a shot.
======
gm10 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:45 am
racer-x wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:23 am If you don't have access to the original images,
@gm10
Of course they do, IrfanView slideshows support exporting the images they are made from.
@gm10
I had no idea that it is capable of doing that. Thanks.
======
bjmh46 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:50 am I used to run irfanview under wine, and it ran fine. I have now completely weaned myself off of windows programs, and run only native linux stuff. I would suggest the excellent XnViewMP as an alternative to irfanview. As far as your .exe slideshows are concerned, they should run fine under wine--just rt-click, open with, wine. I really prefer NOT having wine installed, but if that works for you, great!

Regards
Bob
@bjmh46
Seems I already tried Playonlinux, and that did not work at all.
Searching for wine in the software manager produces many results.
Which Wine installation should I choose from the software manager?
Since I have two installations of Mint on separate drives, I'll install Wine in the older 19.1 and leave the 19.2 untouched.
======
Flemur wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:01 am I use irfanview all the time and didn't know you could do that...so I made a .exe slideshow and it worked fine in wine.

But if you want to extract the images:
https://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#PAGE8

Q: How to extract images from the EXE Slideshow?
A: Start the EXE and press F1 for help. Use E hotkey for extraction.
@Flemur
Thanks for the info and link.
======

P.S.
Just saw the following thread:
(Solved) Wine
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=306928#p1725891

I will follow those instructions.
======
Mint 21.3 Cinnamon primary; 21.3 xfce & LMDE 6 installed; home built Core i5-9600K with Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming Wi-Fi; RAM 16 GB; Intel UHD Graphics 630; system on: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB; storage & backup on: WD Black 1TB

Return to “Software & Applications”