Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

I do not want Thunderbird to sync with remote email server

Post by linux_trojan »

I dont know what I did wrong but for some reason Thunderbird is syncing with my remote hotmail server. Hotmail is free but it really limits the amount of messages that are stored. On Hotmail my old email is being deleted everyday, thus, it is deleted on my computer too. I want to keep all the emails that come to my computer even if hotmail deletes them on their server. Can someone tell me which checkbox I need so that Thunderbird stops trying to mirror what is on the remote hotmail server?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I do not want Thunderbird to sync with remote email server

Post by JeremyB »

You might want to use POP instead of IMAP for server settings, POP works good if you only have 1 device downloading email

linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_trojan »

I can give it a try. The problem with this is that it takes a few days to see if the change made a difference. It takes a couple of days to see, "oh ok my emails are not being deleted on my computer". So I would be glad to collect all suggestions and try them one by one over the next week or so. If anyone knows the right "dead-ringer" answer, feel free to speak up.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Can you check whether you are currently using IMAP or POP? Because JeremyB's answer sounds right on the money. That's how IMAP behaves (and is meant to behave). So please check your server settings and report back.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

That really sounds like IMAP is being used as it syncs with the server. POP(POP3) will download from the server and then delete the email from the server after it downloads. I haven't used hotmail but use google mail and I still have messages from 5 years ago on the server and I use IMAP because I use a couple laptops and a smartphone to check my email and using POP3 would only allow one device to view the email

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

JeremyB wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:00 pm
using POP3 would only allow one device to view the email
Unless you set Thunderbird to leave it on the server after downloading. But that option has disadvantages of its own.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_trojan »

I will open my laptop and check the setting but I think you have touched on the problem I am having. I used the same system on my desktop, exact. But on my desktop, the two systems do not interfere with each other: My desktop retains all emails and doesnt touch the Hotmail server, all messages there are retained and that is useful if I need to get an email real quick. I can just use my cell phone.

Hmmm, I just checked my desktop, I am using "pop-mail.outlook.com". I will get my laptop and see.

linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_trojan »

For some reason, my desktop and laptop do not look the same. Here is what I got on my laptop, weird.
Screenshot from 2019-12-17 17-48-46.png
Also, on my laptop, I do not have this option: Leave messages on server.

Something doesnt feel right.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Port 993 is IMAP port so something isn't set up correctly

linux_trojan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux_trojan »

I think I understand. I have to set the port for POP. I have my /home folder on a different partition, so usually I never think about these things. Something must have got reconfigured on the last install? In any case, do you know the port for POP? I am almost sure that is the problem.

EDIT!!!

I dont even know what I am doing. Its on my desktop: 995. Hopefully this will not deleted the emails on my Hotmail server.

Return to “Software & Applications”