Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Beginner Python help ?

Post by charvey »

I do not see a place for programming here so i hope this post is ok here.
I want to learn python , i have read pages from Google but i cant see one that tells me exactly what i need to get started.
I know i need something like IDLE but which version ? there are several listed in the software manager . also which version is best ?
After some searching i found python2 and 3 listed in my system

Code: Select all

charvey@charvey-HP-Compaq-6005-Pro-MT-PC:~$ python -V
Python 2.7.17
charvey@charvey-HP-Compaq-6005-Pro-MT-PC:~$ python3 -V
Python 3.6.9
are these 2 installed or just available in the system ?
Which would be best to start with ?
Any suggestions are welcome, ty for reading.
charvey
Linux mint 19.3

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Beginner Python help ?

Post by catweazel »

charvey wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:00 am
I want to learn python , i have read pages from Google but i cant see one that tells me exactly what i need to get started.
You only need a text editor. Later, when you graduate to creating GUIs, you can use Glade and a text editor.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

Don't do much python but have IDLE for 2.7 and 3.6 installed. Not the best python IDE around but meets my modest needs.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

I've found the best way to learn a language is to use a simple but language 'aware' editor.
Personally for python programming I use 'Geany' - it doesn't try to write the code for you but still helps with syntax and allows instant code execution directly from within the editor.

My recommendation is to go straight to Python3. (Python2 has reached 'end-of-life' but knowing Python3 you will also know Python2 - often just syntax and module differences)

Both Python2 and Python3 are included in Linux Mint - together with the core modules - everything to get started.

Useful Links:
The language reference can be found at https://docs.python.org/3/ - they also have a beginners guide.
When you get to learning GUI programming, you could try starting with GTK3 - https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Return to “Software & Applications”