Upgrade Thunderbird on Linux Mint 18.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Upgrade Thunderbird on Linux Mint 18.2

Post by bananabob »

I have a system running 18.2 and I want to update the Thunderbird release to 68.2.2 - Is this possible and if so how do I go about it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Upgrade Thunderbird on Linux Mint 18.2

Post by karlchen »

Hello, bananabob.

Experience so far seems to suggest to me that only Mint 19.x (based on Ubuntu 18.04) receives Thunderbird 68.2.2, whereas Mint 18.x (based on Ubuntu 16.04) is stuck on Thunderbird 60.9.1.
Reason: Mint receives Thunderbird from the Ubuntu software repositories, and Ubuntu does not seem to have any plans of providing Thunderbird 68.2.2 to Ubuntu 16.0.4.

Solution / Workaround:
As usual there is more than one way to achieve your goal of getting Thunderbird 68.2.2 on Mint 18.2 nonetheless.
Here is one of these ways. And I think it is one of the more hassle free ways of achieving the goal:

As explained in this post about Installing(ing) Firefox ESR, I suggest to make use of Nanotube's Ubuntuzilla repository. Nanotube provides the genuine Mozilla software packages for Thunderbird, Firefox ESR and Firefox (release) as .deb installation packages. As a result they can be installed and updated through the Mint software management applications.

The steps to follow have been explained by Nanotube himself here: Installation
The software package, which you are after, is thunderbird-mozilla-build.

I assume that at the time of writing this Nanotube's repo will give you Thunderbird 68.3.1, no longer 68.2.2.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”