Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Re: FileZilla problem

Post by mint-me »

Try again.

Open the Site Manager on Filezilla, and create a new entry (new server). Enter the details as given above, and don't touch any other settings - try that...
Linux Mint 20 XFCE 64bit - HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

mint-me wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 pm
Try again.

Open the Site Manager on Filezilla, and create a new entry (new server). Enter the details as given above, and don't touch any other settings - try that...
I was already there with that one. I deleted the previous connection and started a new entry to get the result I showed you with that one.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Ok. Check that Filezilla settings are default. I have the defaults here:

Menu > Edit > Settings

FTP: Passive, Allow fallback
Active Mode: Active Mode IP, Ask your operating system for external IP address
Passive Mode: Use the server's external IP address instead

Filezilla, like a lot of programs we use, usually come with sensible defaults. These should only be modified if you know what you are doing, otherwise, best leave as is. Searching, reading, and experimenting can help a lot!
Linux Mint 20 XFCE 64bit - HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

FTP: Passive, Allow fallback
Active Mode: Active Mode IP, Ask your operating system for external IP address
Passive Mode: Use the server's external IP address instead
Once again I was anticipating you a bit and in Linux and Windows set both the same in the settings. Also, in the Sentinal one under the Site Manager I selected Active in Transfer Settings. To make sure I also went Edit Clear Private Data and left the two default, Quickconnect and Reconnect checked and clicked OK.

It is late here now and I am tied so off to bed. Thanks for your help and will check again tomorrow.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Well I checked this all over again, plus I installed FileZilla in Win10 VM. I set everything up as I had done on my main Windows 10 machine but got the same Directory error as I got in Linux. Both these distros are installed on my backup machine. The fact even WS_FTP inside Win10 VM produces the same error made me think could it be the Firewall that is activated on this machine.

So I turned off Firewall and then tried and bingo it went straight in. Just to make sure I installed FileZilla on my media machine running Linux and sure enough that too worked perfectly as I do not have Firewall activated on that machine.

So how do I make a rule in Firewall to allow FZ to operate OK on that Sentinal server?
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Are you asking here about settings for Windows10 firewall?

The UFW/GUFW should be fine with Allow Outgoing.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

mint-me wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:45 pm
Are you asking here about settings for Windows10 firewall?

The UFW/GUFW should be fine with Allow Outgoing.
No I am referring to Linux Firewall.
Linux-Firewall..png
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

On the machine whose firewall is blocking, make sure UFW logging is on.

Menu > Edit > Preferences
ufw Logging: Low/Med/High

Then after you try to connect and get blocked, there should be an entry in the log showing IP address and port details. Check the log at:

/var/log/ufw.log

You will see there the blocked connection, showing source IP & port, and destination IP & port.
The destination IP/port for incoming should be your IP and the blocked port.

Add a Firewall Rule > Advanced
Policy: Allow
Direction: in
Protocol: Both (if using port ranges, needs 2 rules - one for TCP and one for UDP)
From: Server IP / Server Port (if port varies, just use IP here)
To: Your IP / Your Port (just your port here is ok)

This will allow incoming connections from your server, and block the rest...
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Thank you mint; will look at that later on as got some work to do on my old media PC fitting a front USB 3.0 port, plus find out what is causing that PC not to shutdown properly. I am beginning to think that might be a dodgy memory stick.

Hope you are not near those terrible bush fire areas in South West Australia; it looked horrifying seeing how those poor people had to flee to the sea shore and some into the sea to escape the flames. With such a national emergency, why aren't the armed forces being called in. Surely they could help the well stretched firefighters?
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

The fires have been big and in many areas. A bush fire got as close as 1 mile from here, but I was lucky the fire got stopped and I survived...
Good luck with the pc maintenance.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Sorry to hear about those fires mint but see the military have now been called in on the news; can't understand why they have not done this before now. I do wish you and all your fellow Diggers a safe and happy new year. Do hope your guys get those infernal blazes under control.
On the machine whose firewall is blocking, make sure UFW logging is on.

Regarding my minor problem compared with yours the report I got is as follows:
Firewall-med-log..png
What line should I choose for a rule?
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

neither.

Follow the steps outlined above.

For more info on using GUFW.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

mint-me wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:27 am
neither.

Follow the steps outlined above.

For more info on using GUFW.
Sorry mint this is baffling me. On my Windows machine I do not use any firewall on the distro as it is covered by my router setup with port forwarding in that. So why do I need to have Firewall activated in Linux? Without it on I can log on to the server fine and see all the files, so I have turned the Firewall off.
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

perfect.
mark this one solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”