Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lordcalendar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3: Steam will not Start

Post by lordcalendar »

I'm running 19.3, Cinnamon, and my problem is that Steam will not launch. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, launching it from the terminal (though honestly I might have done something wrong there), and launching it the normal way. I'm not very experienced with Linux operating systems, even though I've used them for a while the first real issues I've had have been in the last few days.
When I try to launch steam through the terminal, I get the following:

Code: Select all

tar: This does not look like a tar archive
xz: (stdin): File format not recognized
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
find: ‘/home/username/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime’: No such file or directory
I recently had an issue where I got stuck in a login loop, and I kind of fixed it by using the following:

sudo -s
cd /home
mv yourlogin yourlogin.old
mkdir yourlogin
chown yourlogin yourlogin
I had originally installed Steam in what's now username.old, could it have something to do with that? Again, I have next to no experience fixing issues like this.
I tried

find ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete
and got the following:
find: ‘/home/julien/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime’: No such file or directory
I'm not sure if there's any other relevant information. I'll include it later if it's needed.
Sorry if I'm missing something very obvious, I rarely used the terminal before switching from Kubuntu to Linux Mint and I'm not used to it yet.

charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3: Steam will not Start

Post by charvey »

i have always used the offical package from steam on linux mint cinnamon. I have 19.3 and installed with no issues. from the website :
Go to steam official site, click Install Steam Now button to download the Steam deb package. Once downloaded, double click the deb package in file manager to install Steam. Ubuntu Software will be opened. Click the install button.

where did you get your package from ?

trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3: Steam will not Start

Post by trytip »

that didn't fix your login that created a new user. login to your old or new user and run this command. did it find anything?

find . ! -user $USER

Return to “Software & Applications”