How do I completely wipe/reinstall Chrome and/or Chromium?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

How do I completely wipe/reinstall Chrome and/or Chromium?

Post by Kendoori »

I am not concerned about my data and extensions as I have both synced by Google,

I am having some wonky issues, and I think it will be best for me to start from scratch (issues are consistent in Chrome and Chromium).

I am running 19.3 Cinnamon.

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How do I completely wipe/reinstall Chrome and/or Chromium?

Post by LanceM »

Just uninstall them with the software manager, then open your home folder and enable hidden files using the toolbar>view hidden. Now open .config and delete the google-chrome folder and the chromium folder. Then reinstall. If you are synching, sign out of sync completely first and then back in once you are done.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello,
Here is what you can do.
If you want to remove Chrome or Chormium do it in a terminal with this commnad

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge chrome
once that is completed go to your file manager and navigate to your home folder click on the view tab select show hidden files and navigate to the .config file then delete the Chrome or chromium folder. This will get rid of all you bookmarks and setting, etc.

OR
You could just delete the chromium or chrome folder in your home directory and it will clear all the settings and that may cure the problem the folder will be recreated when you open the browser again.
Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I completely wipe/reinstall Chrome and/or Chromium? [Solved]

Post by Kendoori »

I kinda did the cardinal troubleshooting sin and did multiple remediations at the same time. I reset Chrome (couldn't hurt to clean it out). I also reset Pulse (also couldn't hurt). I also decided to update the Kernel to 5.3. So far it's working after multiple days. I'm also trying out the Vivaldi browser (but Chrome seems fine too).

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just delete config folders from $HOME/.config/object-here and cache from $HOME/.cache/object-here

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

"IF" the reasons for wiping out chrome/chromium are seen as the same "wonky" problems as presented in the threads posted below, Dont bother with uninstall/reinstall...it wont help.

The ones presented below have been a major headache as presented to all chrome/chromium browser maintainers and they are working on these particular problems as we speak and only an update to these problems from the browser providers is going to cure the "freeze/crash" problems being reported to them...DAMIEN

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=307061

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/23283471?hl=en
ORDO AB CHAO

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

I run both Chrome (main browser) and Chromium with no issues. Lucky me, I guess.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

They claim its effecting "only" 50% to 55% of users...lol...ONLY???...your one of the blessed half without the freeze/crash problem...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

Knocking on wood.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

The only 2 chromium based browser that i am aware of that do not have this problem are slimjet which im using right now till this is fixed and i believe the other is vivaldi, and the reason why is that they do not update/upgrade their browsers to the very newest "OOOOOOH SHINEY" versions right away.

The moral of the story is..."having to have the newest update of anything on linux is not always beneficial and can be a major PITA"...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x »

I run Chromium on my desktop and two laptops and never experienced freezes. It's always my main browser. Maybe those stats are a bit off? Perhaps a hardware issue?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Its NOT a hardware issue...all the troubleshooting forums for the chromium based web browser sites are reporting the freeze/crash problems not only with linux users but also windows users and only been happening since the release of the new "79" chromium based version...DAMIEN

PS...as previously posted, they say it is "ONLY" 50 to 55% of users...you are probably the other half of users NOT having the problem. And as i also previously stated, im using my backup chromium based "Slimjet" browser" which is chromium based "78" version,
Version 25.0.2.0 (based on Chromium 78.0.3904.63) (Official Build) (64-bit)
NOT the problematic, new, "79" version, until this problem is rectified with new update to correct this situation.
ORDO AB CHAO

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:53 pm
Its NOT a hardware issue...all the troubleshooting forums for the chromium based web browser sites are reporting the freeze/crash problems not only with linux users but also windows users and only been happening since the release of the new "79" chromium based version...DAMIEN

PS...as previously posted, they say it is "ONLY" 50 to 55% of users...you are probably the other half of users NOT having the problem. And as i also previously stated, im using my backup chromium based "Slimjet" browser" which is chromium based "78" version,
Version 25.0.2.0 (based on Chromium 78.0.3904.63) (Official Build) (64-bit)
NOT the problematic, new, "79" version, until this problem is recified with new update to correct this situation.
Can you provide a reference on the percentage please?

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It was either in the chromium troubleshoot site or the Brave one...cant remember since ive been trying to trace down just which one was going to offer a fix for this first...lol...as you may remember, brave is my first choice browser, however, if this problem persists much longer without rectification, Slimjet may just well be replacing it...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

LanceM
Level 9
Level 9

Post by LanceM »

I'm wondering if it's 50% of reported problems, and not 50% of users. I looks like if it was the latter (considering the mass of people using Chrome) that there would be a flood of it in the tech news.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I believe, judging from what i read, that it is 50% of reported problems...I do not have a basis of facts to this dissertation...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Software & Applications”