Are You Using a Chromium-based Browser that You like? if so, what's your fave?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Are You Using a Chromium-based Browser that You like? if so, what's your fave?

Post by Kendoori »

Am having issues with Chrome or Chromium, but have business workflow that relies on various Chrome "extensions." Extensions may be my problem, but worth trying out something else. Are you using Slimjet? Vivaldi? others?

Curious.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Are You Using a Chromium-based Browser that You like? if so, what's your fave?

Post by gm10 »

Without knowing your issues we can hardly comment. Personally I am using Chromium itself as my regular browser, also have Vivaldi and Opera installed.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Are You Using a Chromium-based Browser that You like? if so, what's your fave?

Post by Moem »

Pretty happy with Vivaldi as a secondary browser. (The primary is not Chromium-based.)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm
Without knowing your issues we can hardly comment. Personally I am using Chromium itself as my regular browser, also have Vivaldi and Opera installed.
I was thinking that my issues with intermittent two-way audio were browser-specific, as I tried in Firefox and seemed OK (I used Google Hangouts successfully). Just tried Slack, and ran into issues. Slack uses Electron, which is Chromium-based so am wondering where to go next.

I just did an inline upgrade to 19.3, and these problems started to happen a few weeks ago (prior to upgrade).

I have an extra hard drive, so I may try installing clean if I can't sort this out.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

I don't think there are any Chromium-variants that re-implement Web Audio, so you're likely going to see the same issue on all of them. Also this may as well be a problem with pulseaudio or the kernel - did you change to a 5.0 kernel after upgrading to LM 19.3? If yes, boot from a 4.15 kernel via the GRUB boot menu and check if the issue persists - there's a good chance it won't.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

I am running 5.0.0-37-generic

I am a purger, so oldest I have installed is v4.18.20. I will try going back to that to see if this persists.

@gm10 What's your take on a newer kernel? or somehow resetting Pulse?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

It doesn't have to be the kernel, that was just an idea. I had actually misread that the problems started with the upgrade, when in fact you said the opposite is true. But you did say the issue started a few weeks ago, so whatever you upgraded then is the likely culprit. But without remembering when exactly it started happening it's likely futile to check the logs now.

Instead of a full clean install, installing your browser to a live environment and trying from there might be a good idea to double check it's not something specific to your settings.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

Switched to 4.18 and two-way audio last for about 5m, and eventually the microphone went offline. This is consistent regardless of which audio source.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

Update:
I kinda did the cardinal troubleshooting sin and did multiple remediations at the same time. I reset Chrome (couldn't hurt to clean it out). I also reset Pulse (also couldn't hurt). I also decided to update the Kernel to 5.3. So far it's working, but I need to stress test some more. I'm also trying out the Vivaldi browser.

Vivaldi has lots of config options, so I kinda went down the rabbit hole, especially because I really didn't want Bing as my search engine, and didn't like the Speed Dial. After a bunch of futzing, I was able to eliminate Bing, and also put in FVD Chrome extension as an alternate Speed Dial.

I realize that people who are attracted to Vivaldi somehow don't want Google in their life, so I get why the defaults are the way they are.

Return to “Software & Applications”