Programs on Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Re: Programs on Mint

Post by Kaye »

I would advise you to attempt to find Linux-compatible alternatives rather than use wine simply for stability reasons. Plus it's much easier.
There are many websites that list alternatives to Windows software. A quick google search will yield more specific results for you.
If you really want wine, you can download the "stable" version at WineHQ.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I think one of the hardest things for a new Linux convert to get past is that you basically have to accept that you aren't going to use the same programs that you used to. Sure Wine provides some of this functionality, but in general it's just best to move on and find new programs, and honestly you will happier once you have. For those Windows programs that you just can't live without you might want to consider keeping a Windows partition, and dual boot. I've been using Linux for 2 1/2 years now, but I still keep a Win XP partition for games. I don't boot into it often, but it's there when I want it.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Lantesh wrote:I think one of the hardest things for a new Linux convert to get past is that you basically have to accept that you aren't going to use the same programs that you used to. Sure Wine provides some of this functionality, but in general it's just best to move on and find new programs, and honestly you will happier once you have. For those Windows programs that you just can't live without you might want to consider keeping a Windows partition, and dual boot. I've been using Linux for 2 1/2 years now, but I still keep a Win XP partition for games. I don't boot into it often, but it's there when I want it.
Exactly. My Vista partition is there for iPhone syncing and that's about it.

Return to “Software & Applications”