Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

A browser which can access IE sites

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Is there any browser available to run in Mint which can load sites which usually only work properly in Internet Explorer?

i.e. sites which might load in Chormium or Firefox but also might have broken elements because the site owner uses Micro$ofts broken development tools and/or don't update anything for 10+ years.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A browser which can access IE sites

Post by absque fenestris »

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

I use Chrome. That said, are you indicating Chromium or Firefox aren't fully updated browsers? If so, this is incorrect. IE is more of a dinosaur. That's why MS is pushing Edge. What sites are you referring to. Please provide an example.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cabbagetreemo »

I am not at all implying that IE is more updated. Exactly the opposite. But there are websites which Chrome/Firefox can't/won't load because they are as ancient and dysfunctional as IE.

The particular site I have in mind is work related.

LanceM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by LanceM »

Can you provide a link to said site? It will help me understand the problem to have one site to try with IE and then in Mint with Chrome/Chromium/Firefox.
There is an extension for Chromium and Chrome called Wayback Machine. You can read about it here: https://blog.archive.org/2017/01/13/way ... available/
Last edited by LanceM on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

IE is 4 MB of Web browser with 40 MB of "special case" handling to make something readable from broken HTML.

Edge is 4 MB of Web browser without the other code. Most of the Edge code is just open source hidden inside, much the same as Apple uses Unix but pretends their OS is an Apple invention.

Firefox is a Web browser with a nice diagnostic tool to highlight all that broken HTML and broken Javascript that damages so many Web sites. You used to be able to report Web page errors. Now most Web developers refuse to fix anything unless it occurs in whatever version of Chrome they happen to have installed that day. Many companies only allow contact by online chat and only with a sales person who is trained to talk, not listen.

Chrome is the Web development fashion icon. If it does something pretty in Chrome, it is considered fixed no matter how unusable the Web site remains.

I tried to work on a "Chrome only" Web site in one of those months where Chrome changed every two or three days, often in the few minutes between applying the hundredth fix to make the site work with Chrome and the demonstration to the manager who has to sign off the work.

Chromium is the free open source base for Chrome. Some of the "Chrome only" Web sites work in Chromium.

Good luck with finding the right Web browser. The Web is now based on Google. The Google approach is "if it works, fix it".

ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

search in firefox or chrome an extension for "user agent" and use that extension

cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cabbagetreemo »

The reason I have not provided a link to the specific site is that it requires user credentials.

I am fully aware of the brokenness of IE, the premise of my post was that this brokenness is known to result in some websites which only work in IE. I don't much care about the differences between Chromium and Firefox - for the sites which I frequently visit I find Chromium to be consistently faster which is enough for me.

What I was asking for was a suggestion on a browser which could load those websites which are meant for IE but is not IE (preferably something that runs natively on Linux).

The suggestion of Lynx browser is appreciated but I need picture elements so a text based browser will not do the job.

I will look into user agent.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi cabbagetreemo...i would start my search here for a user agent switcher for your chromium based browser and find one that will work for your purposes...DAMIEN

The second one in the list, "user agent switcher", i have used in the past for just this kind of thing.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... extensions
ORDO AB CHAO

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

I had noticed that a lot of my websites that I had when I was using winbloes I.E. (I hate edge) had started to behave strangely or at sometime they refused to load, and said to either update my browser to ms edge or firefox. Since I dumped winblows and used firefox with mint ALL the websites load and run perfectly the same as when I used I.E.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

the request is not as strange, as it seems.

just today, I've had a request to get access to an Gov't site ( with win-10 )
and it would only load up with IE10 .. which is still available on win-10. :o

once the registration was completed, with IE10, then the web site could be accessed with Firefox-72 ..
- - it's that registration, that was the real issue .. NoGo on Firefox at all. :(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Australian government Web sites promise privacy and security but they all have Google tracking your use. Google know who you are from profiling. The Australian government is giving away our last spec of privacy.

On top of that, they do not test their Web sites. when I report the problems with their Web sites, the support people do not understand anything about the Web.

"Something appeared on my screen. The Web site must be working".

"It works. No, I do not use it and have not looked at it. Someone told me it is working."

"Javawhat?"

cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 am
the request is not as strange, as it seems.

just today, I've had a request to get access to an Gov't site ( with win-10 )
and it would only load up with IE10 .. which is still available on win-10. :o

once the registration was completed, with IE10, then the web site could be accessed with Firefox-72 ..
- - it's that registration, that was the real issue .. NoGo on Firefox at all. :(
This is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to. I take it you did not find a way to access the registration form Mint, then?

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 am
Workable User Agent Switchers

For Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/fi/firefox/a ... src=search
For Opera: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... witcher-8/
For Chrome and Chromium: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ogmaanbfkg

cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cabbagetreemo »

For me user agent switcher didn't work

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Is it possible that these websites are using an IE-only technology such as ActiveX?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

cabbagetreemo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cabbagetreemo »

murray wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:03 pm
Is it possible that these websites are using an IE-only technology such as ActiveX?
Could be, how does one check?

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

Workable User Agent Switchers
User agent switches do not add the 40 MB of extra code used in IE.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Maybe open your browser's console window and then visit the site. Any errors or things that the browser can't handle should be reported in the console.

As an example, I opened by browser (Firefox) console and then visited a topic in this forum and I can see in the console that there's a syntax error in the forum's Javascript:

You can see that the error is in the viewtopic.php file, on line 269. Having a look at the code around line 269 shows:

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
    google_ad_client = "ca-pub-3911921815512938";
    google_ad_slot = "4799871663";
    google_ad_width = 728;
    google_ad_height = 90;
src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>
That's definitely wrong, the src attribute is out of place. Obviously not enough of an error to stop the forum from working, but an error nevertheless.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Software & Applications”