Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BobPeters61
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: 19.3 and Flatpacks.

Post by BobPeters61 »

I have 19.2 on my good tower build and 19.3 on my laptop.

I noticed that when I installed the Flatpack version of aisleriot solitaire on the 19.3 that it no longer remembered the card style or the 3-card klondike setting. This is minor and the only difference between it and the repository version that does remember properly is a nicer variety of card styles.

However, this makes me wonder if other Flatpacks might be prone to some functional issues on 19.3. On my tower, I use the Flatpack version of Kdenlive and am hesitant to settle for the repository version.

Has anyone else seen problems with different Flatpack software on Tricia that Tina doesn't seem to mind? And does anyone have some advice on the situation?
Last edited by BobPeters61 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 19.3 and Flatpacks.

Post by Petermint »

Flatpak, Appimage, and Snap are the contenders.I found problems with both Flatpak and Snap. I use the Appimage version of several applications and have never had a problem with Appimage. Given the choice between the repository version and Flatpak, I would use the repository version.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: 19.3 and Flatpacks.

Post by Hoser Rob »

Petermint wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 pm
... Given the choice between the repository version and Flatpak, I would use the repository version.
Usually, me too. The only exception for me has been Avidemux (since Mint 17, I'm still on 18.3).

They're popular now with devs because by including runtime libraries you don't have the problems dealing with inconsi stent APIs. They use more resources but I can see their point. Too many packaging systems etc.

As you've noriced they also don't always follow the theming and various other UI elements either.

BobPeters61
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solved: 19.3 and Flatpacks.

Post by BobPeters61 »

Thanks, guys. I keep forgetting that the more attractive interface isn't necessarily the best version of something.

Return to “Software & Applications”