Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] SMS on laptop

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
i am looking for a GUI-based program that allows me to send and receive SMSs on my computer. My failing eyesight makes it difficult on the phone.
Any suggestions?
Last edited by Peter Linu on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 19.3 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Re: SMS on laptop

Post by absque fenestris »

Peter Linu wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 pm
Hiyall,
i am looking for a GUI-based program that allows me to send and receive SMSs on my computer. My failing eyesight makes it difficult on the phone.
Any suggestions?
You can do that with Signal. On the phone, you must select Signal as your SMS program.

https://www.signal.org/download/#linuxModal
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I use Signal, on my phone and on my laptop. But it does not allow me to send SMS from my laptop or receive them there. The version that's running on my laptop only communicates with my contacts who also use Signal.

So, no, you cannot do that with Signal as far as I know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I use Textra on my phone, the Text size can be made larger.

in fact, I make the phone's system Text sizes larger on my phones, have for several years, and phone models. all of them were Samsung phones though.
S5, Note4, Note8.

here is an example of the text size on Textra, at least for my purpose. She is a mail carrier, I am retired now 10 years.
this is many conversations with my daughter, she lives with me, makes sure I don't drive at night :mrgreen:

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Moem wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 am
I use Signal, on my phone and on my laptop. But it does not allow me to send SMS from my laptop or receive them there. The version that's running on my laptop only communicates with my contacts who also use Signal.

So, no, you cannot do that with Signal as far as I know.
I used the desktop version of Signal for Mac a while ago - but on a hard drive that was pretty scary ... and broke shortly afterwards.

But from Signal-Desktop to Signal-Phone: Can you transmit and receive data? Can you phone over signal? Are the messages generally encrypted?
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

absque fenestris wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 am
But from Signal-Desktop to Signal-Phone: Can you transmit and receive data? Can you phone over signal? Are the messages generally encrypted?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'transmit and receive data'. It's an instant messaging application. It sends and transmits instant messages. I can send messages to myself, from phone to laptop and back, if that's what you mean. They can contain files.
I can phone over Signal, using the phone; I don't think I can do it using the laptop. The messages are generally encrypted. Not sure how any of this helps the OP...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Peter Linu wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 pm
Hiyall,
Any suggestions?
MySMS might do for you - I tried it a few years ago, worked fine in Firefox browser without any special extensions or PC software, but like all Android it requires making it the default SMS client on the phone.

https://www.mysms.com/

It apparently works with Apple devices, too. I didn't find myself using it, so closed the account.
Last edited by I2k4 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M19.1 XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Lenovo desktop). All 32 bit Windows systems are running 64 bit Mint.

ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

maybe it worth have a look at
https://www.linuxlinks.com/mobile-phone ... made-easy/

or even better (i've tested solution and is working great) here:
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/c ... -your.html

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

I look at Signal like I do with "WhatsApp" and other peculiar high security apps.

none of them are worth a damn for everyday use.
if the caller/callee does not have that app, you revert back to an open call/sms.

I have tried several of those apps with friends who are PARANOID to the N'th degree.
I gave up on all of them, and said "nope, not for me".

I have Proton email for paranoid messages, my son forces me to use that one.
but, even so, we don't use it but maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

The last time I used this sort of program, it was available from my ISP (at a reasonable price). So far and even after 10 years, I haven't seen it again. Oh well, back to magnifying glass and phone.
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 19.3 Thinkpad T440p#2: dual core i5-4300, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

tuxracer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] SMS on laptop

Post by tuxracer »

Hello @Peter Linu,

well, I am trying right now KDE Connect with the Indicator Appelet on Mint Cinnamon. Normally I should be able to send sms from there. I couldn't make it work yet.

But another thing that is working, is the "Airdroid" App on Android. You can connect with your computer via the browser, and writing sms from there. This works for me.

I hope you find something for you!
Cheers!

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Hey tuxracer,
My eyes are particularly bad at the moment. Could I ask you to send me a web link directly to the app, please?

tuxracer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxracer »

Hello Peter,

you can download it from their website https://www.airdroid.com/en/get.html and/or get it from the playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_US

I hope this helps you!
Cheers!

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

my favorite SMS app is Textra.

nothing compares to it for my purposes, it almost knows how I think, it will supply phrases for me to choose from...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

I found a better solution for me. A bluetooth keyboard that connects to the phone. It's small but not tiny. It'll do until the real thing comes along.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Peter Linu wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:58 am
I found a better solution for me. A bluetooth keyboard that connects to the phone. It's small but not tiny. It'll do until the real thing comes along.
Depending what the "real thing" for you would be, you might keep an eye on phones with "Blackberry style" hardware keyboards - more portable than detachable keyboards, and users tend to get very comfortable with the tactile interface, although the screens are smaller:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-smar ... keyboards/
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M19.1 XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Lenovo desktop). All 32 bit Windows systems are running 64 bit Mint.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Dear 12K4 (that's got a pleasant ring to it),
I checked your url and I don't like any of them and furthermore I don't believe any are available in this country.
'The real thing' for me: When the first post-brick mobile phones came out, there was an English company offering a mobile with a keyboard in an oyster enclosure. It was beautifully designed and made, a real 'Rolls Royce' item. However it was difficult to use, very slow and their Australian 'help desk' was learning along with the customer. I kept the phone for decades because the design was so beautiful however only recently threw it away.
At Xmas time I saw a similar concept oyster phone/keyboard advertised on my Facebook page. The links went nowhere so it probably was market research. Let's hope something happens.
Peter Linu

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

One of my standing headscratchers is why neither Apple nor Google has optimized their smartphone operating system for clamshell and even desktop units - the current size and resource requirements of smartphones are right up with Windows 10 and there are enough users familiar with them to give Windows a run for its money in PC functionality along with 4G networking.

I suggested a list with familiar once popular Blackberry (which is apparently going out of the hardware business) but given your clarification, did come across this unit which may be closer to what you have in mind:

https://www.fxtec.com/

They have an explainer about their supported networks:

https://us19.campaign-archive.com/?u=ad ... bd662dd3d2

To the response: I won't drag out the thread - I enjoyed looking for this. Although it's too pricey for me, too, the specs and U$800 are not bad at all, considering what a lot of current "flagship" devices are going for. The new folding screen (e.g. Samsung's) and dual screen hinged phone / tablets will show a virtual keyboard or anything else on 1/2 screen, but are almost double that price.
Last edited by I2k4 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

Bingo!!!

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Peter Linu »

then there's the price! I think I'll pass. I just don't have that sort of idle money. But it certainly was interesting seeing it again.
My $60 mini keyboard will suffice until I become a captain of industry or leader of the free world. Thanks for your effort on my behalf.
Peter Linu

Return to “Software & Applications”