Fingerprint GUI working for login and sudo only

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MEA707

Fingerprint GUI working for login and sudo only

Post by MEA707 »

Just to preface, I'm brand new to Linux, having just installed Linux Mint 19.3 on an old Windows 7 laptop due to Windows 7 reaching its EOL. So definitely a beginner here.

I've installed Fingerprint GUI and it's working great, but Linux only prompts fingerprint authentication for logging in and sudo in the terminal.

Any other authentications, such as software installs/updates or to root in the terminal, do not prompt fingerprint authentication.

Any idea how to allow fingerprint for all types of authentications?

Here's my settings page:
Selection_001.png
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fingerprint GUI working for login and sudo only

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I installed the software for the fingerprint gui on one of my Dell laptops, and it locked up the unit. Could not log-in. My log-in password would not work. There was no fingerprint interface. Had to boot with a liveUSB then do a Timeshift Restore to a previous backup to delete the fingerprint gui software. It was not worth the hassle. Good riddance. I'm fine without it.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

hey i have a fingerprint sensor with my new lenovo flex 14, initially setup win10 with pin number and fingerprint because it's required. but when i needed to change or update my fingerprint so i can have better access with my index finger oooweeee did i have to jump through some microsoft loops and was almost afraid it would not boot again.

i would stay away from fingerprint authentication especially for a laptop with win7? WHY

in my mint 19.3 cinnamon i completely remove the use of passwords in gui only terminal commands will ask me for passwords. if you don't have deathstar blueprint secrets to transfer over to the rebellion you should not need a fingerprint reader with an old laptop
MEA707

Post by MEA707 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 pmin my mint 19.3 cinnamon i completely remove the use of passwords in gui only terminal commands will ask me for passwords.
How did you achieve this?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MEA707 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:36 pm
trytip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:32 pmin my mint 19.3 cinnamon i completely remove the use of passwords in gui only terminal commands will ask me for passwords.

Code: Select all

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
sudo xed /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
paste:

[Do anything you want]
Identity=unix-group:mint03
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
^^^REPLACE mint03 with your username whoami <<< in Terminal
save and reboot
beware now everything in update manager or synaptic or any applications using GUI for authentication will have direct root access. terminal commands like apt update still need passwords but pkexec xed will not
MEA707

Post by MEA707 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 pm
MEA707 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:36 pm

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
sudo xed /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/disable-passwords.pkla
paste:

[Do anything you want]
Identity=unix-group:mint03
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
^^^REPLACE mint03 with your username whoami <<< in Terminal
save and reboot
beware now everything in update manager or synaptic or any applications using GUI for authentication will have direct root access. terminal commands like apt update still need passwords but pkexec xed will not
Thank you! I will think about it a bit if I want to implement this, but thank you for sharing how to do it.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MEA707 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 pm Thank you! I will think about it a bit if I want to implement this, but thank you for sharing how to do it.
you have no idea how relieved i am after entering passwords for years installing and uninstalling to not be bothered for authentication. the quote i liked which i forgot is something like this
if you enter a password and break your system it's your fault the password didn't save you. if you remove passwords and break your system it's still your fault, it's just easier to get there
we should have a setting to toggle ON/OFF for passwords
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

I really don't think the correct advice to someone who has just come to LM is to turn off passwords.
Maybe I misread the thread and the ADHD is kicking in, but if you can't get your fingerprint to work, then just use Veracrypt or whatever for your work files or files you are worried about going missing/getting stolen, but really don't disable passwords as they are there to make things just a little more secure and gives your system a couple of seconds to stop the idiot inside of us kicking and screaming to get out by making us think whether we really do want to go ahead with that clever command.... or not.
MEA707

Post by MEA707 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:13 pm I really don't think the correct advice to someone who has just come to LM is to turn off passwords.
Maybe I misread the thread and the ADHD is kicking in, but if you can't get your fingerprint to work, then just use Veracrypt or whatever for your work files or files you are worried about going missing/getting stolen, but really don't disable passwords as they are there to make things just a little more secure and gives your system a couple of seconds to stop the idiot inside of us kicking and screaming to get out by making us think whether we really do want to go ahead with that clever command.... or not.
The fingerprint reader itself is working fine.

The problem is Fingerprint GUI will only prompt for fingerprint authentication when logging on to the computer or authorizing sudo commands in the terminal. No other types of authentications.

If I want to root in terminal or do a software updates via the GUI, my only option is to enter the password, fingerprint authentication isn't an option.

So I'm asking how to expand the fingerprint authentication, beyond just logging on and sudu in terminal, if it's possible.
MEA707

Post by MEA707 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:00 pm
MEA707 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:45 pm Thank you! I will think about it a bit if I want to implement this, but thank you for sharing how to do it.
you have no idea how relieved i am after entering passwords for years installing and uninstalling to not be bothered for authentication. the quote i liked which i forgot is something like this
if you enter a password and break your system it's your fault the password didn't save you. if you remove passwords and break your system it's still your fault, it's just easier to get there
we should have a setting to toggle ON/OFF for passwords
Very clever quote!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:13 pm I really don't think the correct advice to someone who has just come to LM is to turn off passwords.
the freedom of linux makes me think otherwise. I AM IN CONTROL
MEA707 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:23 pm So I'm asking how to expand the fingerprint authentication, beyond just logging on and sudo in terminal, if it's possible.
don't know till i play with it.
MEA707

Post by MEA707 »

Anyone using Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon able to use their fingerprint reader for authentication other than logging in and sudo, whether it's using Fingerprint GUI or FPrint?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

he freedom of linux makes me think otherwise. I AM IN CONTROL
My 'idiot force' is strong young Trytip. Just think what I could do if I was in control.

Oh, wait, doesn't matter. It turns out I'm an amateur. Just look out of your windows.

Return to “Software & Applications”