Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

My constant struggle with "file name too long" error when downloading torrents

Post by jameskga »

Sometimes when downloading via deluge or transmission, I get the error 'filename too long.'

I can resume the torrent, but it happens again a few minutes later. How do I prevent this error from occurring entirely? It makes for a terrible experience checking on the torrent every few minutes until it completes, manually restarting it each time it gives this error. It also makes it seem like I'm asking the computer to perform an impossible task; however, it does eventually complete, provided I am patient enough to resume the torrent each time the download stops and spits out this error.

It seems like I once read somewhere the issue is in the file system used. Ext4 hates these larger torrents, someone said, but NTFS is cool, so after reading that I sent the files to an external NTFS drive. That worked! Now, I've tried this with a flash drive which doesn't seem to work. I still get the error, even after formatting the drive to NTFS. So it worked in the past on a spinning hard drive, but not a flash drive, even though they're both NTFS.

Is there some permanent fix for this, that everyone just knows to do on a clean install? It seems like an odd, old-school type of issue to have in such a mature OS, on fully updated software out of the box. Can Mint not come, by default, configured to handle larger files via Transmission?
19.3 Cinnamon
I am out there
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: My constant struggle with "file name too long" error when downloading torrents

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

jameskga wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 am
It seems like I once read somewhere the issue is in the file system used. Ext4 hates these larger torrents, someone said...
The maximum filename length in ext4 is 255 bytes, and is the same as the limit for NTFS. The maximum ext4 path length is 4kb. Without knowing more beyond your comment, "Ext4 hates these larger torrents", nothing more can be said.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
jp14
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My constant struggle with "file name too long" error when downloading torrents

Post by jp14 »

I only use qBittorrent and never have any isues.
Try that maybe?
LM 19.3 Xfce

Cause I like things neat and simple
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

Another recommend to give a try is Tixati
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.

Return to “Software & Applications”