What are you using for backup these days?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

What are you using for backup these days?

Post by D Canard »

There are a large number of backup options available as FOSS and/or freeware. I tried Veeam for a bit because I had used it professionally in the Windows world long ago. It was difficult to get it working in Linux though and, not being FOSS, updates to match changes in Linux were slow in coming. There are things like CloneZilla which offer bare metal full system recovery. There are data only offerings, some with deduplication. Online articles are seldom critical reviews which recommend anything in particular, mostly just catalogues of features. Before I head off into trial and error work, I thought I would ask:

What are you using for backup these days, besides Timeshift, and why?

What do you like about it?

Cheers.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What are you using for backup these days?

Post by slipstick »

Timeshift for the system, Back-In-Time for my data. Once in a while (not very often) I make image backups of my partitions using Clonezilla.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
ciniset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciniset »

Only rsync with my own script, because is fast, you can adjust "what/where/when", mainly you have full control and no extra software needed. Timeshift is for the system area and is having the same philosophy.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

+1 for rsync.
easy
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
matrovska
Level 4
Level 4

Post by matrovska »

Timeshift for the system and Back-In-Time for my data.
I'm a new user on GNU/linux. In the future I would like to use rsync
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon. Lenovo thinkpad T460
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PhilAypee »

Hi,

Back-In-Time for the internal drive & system, which is slow but does it all and luckyBackup for my external drives because it's much quicker. What I like about both is that they don't use compression by default so I can restore a single file just by copying it. :wink:

Take care,
Phil.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
dm999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dm999 »

LuckyBackup for my data files (it's a GUI for rsync). I like it because you can mirror the destination to the source (it deletes items in the backup that have been deleted at source). Also it doesn't use compression.

Timeshift for system backups.
LM 20 Xfce / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /
D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

Interesting. Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I have looked at Lucky Backup (the GUI for RSync) and tried it. It would suffice for my needs except that I cannot find a way in the GUI to select hidden folders in my user profile. If I just wanted to backup the standard "visible" data folders, Lucky Backup would be good - it is simple and straightforward and can be scheduled (and mostly forgotten if checked in on occasionally). But I would also like to backup select hidden application profile folders, such as .Thunderbird, .Mozilla, .Vivaldi, etc.

It is easy enough to do this manually on a periodic basis, but I like the idea of a set it and mostly forget it backup.

Maybe I will look into RSync itself and its scripting options.

Cheers.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Luckybackup.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

D Canard wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am

I have looked at Lucky Backup (the GUI for RSync) and tried it. It would suffice for my needs except that I cannot find a way in the GUI to select hidden folders in my user profile. If I just wanted to backup the standard "visible" data folders, Lucky Backup would be good - it is simple and straightforward and can be scheduled (and mostly forgotten if checked in on occasionally). But I would also like to backup select hidden application profile folders, such as .Thunderbird, .Mozilla, .Vivaldi, etc.
Rsync is the basis for many of the backup programmes on Linux. If you are happy with it then try Grsync.
Cliff Coggin
D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:14 pm
Rsync is the basis for many of the backup programmes on Linux. If you are happy with it then try Grsync.
Thanks. It has the same problem as a lot of the other GUI-interfaced solutions. I cannot find a way to select hidden folders in my profile.

Return to “Software & Applications”