Best Media Player in Linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ninemen

Best Media Player in Linux?

Post by ninemen »

Is there any media player(s) which is perfect and can do any task i throw at them also being light and fast?
Maybe 2-3 players for diff task in not one
My fav from windows is POT PLAYER and i think its not available for linux by any chance.
P.S:Have any of U tried Pot player its really an amazing powerful with tons of feature media player
p.S2:I currently use VLC,i have tried celluloid/mpv/gnomempv/smplayer but they are not powerfull.Also everyone says that MPV is very powerful but it doesn't have a gui and i have not read any manuals so its not powerfull for me atleast now.
IF any one of u have used pot player is an alternative available on linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PhilAypee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Best Media Player in Linux?

Post by PhilAypee »

Hi,
ninemen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:08 am Is there any media player(s) which is perfect and can do any task i throw at them also being light and fast?
Don't be silly :!:

SMPlayer is what I mostly use - it's a frontend for either mplayer or mpv. I use Clementine for music. I find them both excellent.
Take care,
Phil.

Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic;
this doubles your effective lifetime – and thereby gives time to enjoy
butterflies and kittens and rainbows.

LM 19.3 Xfce 64 bit - 4Gb RAM Dual Core Celeron N3350
🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃
ninemen

Post by ninemen »

I appericiate it ,but have u ever tried Potplayer?.Also Sm player doesn't Fulfill my Needs i can't choose quality of YouTube video
P.S: Dont try it it is very addictive lol
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

You could have the best tool in your hands, but unless you know how to use it, what difference does it make? One man's trash is another man's treasure. The best video player for me is Celluloid/MPV.
ninemen

Post by ninemen »

racer-x wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 am You could have the best tool in your hands, but unless you know how to use it, what difference does it make
Well said Brother
But Here i am asking if putting the effort into learning MPV worth it coz acc tto me celliloid is not "powerful" if u have tried pot player you would know what i want.any Best player for streaming youtube videos?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

VLC is the best audio player for me since it has far better sounds settings than any other player I've tried so far (it's the only decent one I've found that has volume normalization that actually works and has settings for dynamic compression). It's only downside is the GUI leaves something to be desired. I have yet to find a skin that would let me control it from a TV screen from a distance, though. I also like it better for playing ripped DVDs and BDs but, again, the GUI is less than stellar.

I tried Kodi and couldn't figure out how to use the darned thing. Simple, easy to follow step by step directions on how to set it up and use it just don't seem exist. I've heard both good and bad things about Plex but I haven't tried it yet.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ninemen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 am I appericiate it ,but have u ever tried Potplayer?....
Yes, IMO it was buggy rubbish. I use SMplayer for video, Audacious or Clementine for music.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ninemen

Post by ninemen »

Buggy umm u sure u tried Pot player??its updated regularly also it is pretty stable
Can u help me setting up Sm player i am not able to play YouTube videos it is just telling me it cant find the vidoe kinda error
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ninemen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:45 am Buggy umm u sure u tried Pot player??its updated regularly also it is pretty stable
Of course I tried it. It's popular with the media newbs on videohelp. Again, IMO it's rubbish and it's actually only maintained by one person. And on videohelp it generates far too many support questions.
Can u help me setting up Sm player i am not able to play YouTube videos it is just telling me it cant find the vidoe kinda error
I just use a browser foir web vids but for smplayer I think you need to install the smtube plugin. Haven't used it myself.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
verbosity9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verbosity9 »

potplayer is very good and is not buggy at all, I have been using it for years and have not had a single issue, it really is a pity that it is windows only
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

As stated above, SMPlayer is excellent for video viewing! Audacity and Clementine for audio.
I just use any browser for Youtube videos and select the quality. Slimjet browser will actually download the video and audio files of Youtube videos separately if you wish to do so.

When I was using Windows I used MPC exclusively, best lightweight, feature rich player I found for Windows.

SMPlayer "First Steps" https://www.smplayer.info/first-steps.p ... on%209475) The Youtube browser option is actually under "View" (F11).
SMPlayer "FAQ" https://www.smplayer.info/faq.php
"You can play YouTube videos at 1080p or even at 4K resolution with SMPlayer. You only need to make a small change in the SMPlayer configuration. In Preferences -> Network select mpv + youtube-dl in the option Support for video sites. Also be sure mpv is selected as multimedia engine in Preferences -> General.
This modification also makes the YouTube subtitles available in SMPlayer.
Note: Linux users must install youtube-dl."
Last edited by jackkileen on Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ninemen wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:08 am Is there any media player(s) which is perfect and can do any task i throw at them also being light and fast?...
Not a chance. There aren't any magic programmer elves in the Linux world or aywhere else.

mpv does have a bunch of GUIs. Celluloid is one. SMplayer is another, and it's my default, and was before I switched to Linux. IMO VLC is the most overrated program I've ever used.

No, potplayer isn't available in Linux. I actually always thought it was rubbish anyway.

I don't use the same program for music and video files. For music I use Audacious and sometimes Clementine. If I still used Windows I'd use VLC as a music player because I like the way it does playlists but its video performance is not so good.

Return to “Software & Applications”