I don't get it - ANOTHER Adobe flash update ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

I don't get it - ANOTHER Adobe flash update ?

Post by punkbiscuit »

Barely a month goes by without another update for security bugs.

Why ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: I don't get it - ANOTHER Adobe flash update ?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I was concerned about that update because I don't even think I have Flash installed 9and I don't want anything from Adobe installed on any of my machines!). I searched with Catfish, searched in the start menu, and used the software manager to look for it and I didn't see any entries showing it installed. Have I missed any other way to make sure that it isn't installed?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:09 am I was concerned about that update because I don't even think I have Flash installed 9and I don't want anything from Adobe installed on any of my machines!). I searched with Catfish, searched in the start menu, and used the software manager to look for it and I didn't see any entries showing it installed. Have I missed any other way to make sure that it isn't installed?
Check with Synaptic. Software Manager shows only a limited selection.

@punkbiscuit: Adobe Flash Player is traditionally under heavy attack by the bad guys; it's a high-risk package. You might try doing without it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

punkbiscuit wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 am Barely a month goes by without another update for security bugs.
Its really about job security, not your security.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pjotr wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:09 am I was concerned about that update because I don't even think I have Flash installed 9and I don't want anything from Adobe installed on any of my machines!). I searched with Catfish, searched in the start menu, and used the software manager to look for it and I didn't see any entries showing it installed. Have I missed any other way to make sure that it isn't installed?
Check with Synaptic. Software Manager shows only a limited selection.

@punkbiscuit: Adobe Flash Player is traditionally under heavy attack by the bad guys; it's a high-risk package. You might try doing without it.
Thanks! Turned out, I did have it. Notice I said "did".
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

punkbiscuit wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:49 am Barely a month goes by without another update for security bugs.

Why ?
Because barely a month goes by without another another vulnerability being found in Flash. Thankfully it will be dead by the end of the year.
Cliff Coggin
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

Just what does Adobe flash player do on a system? I have the plugin and looking on Synaptic it states it's for the Chromium and Mozilla browsers. Along with this update today came updates for the Chromium and Mozilla Browsers. Does it run the video's on the browsers?
Last edited by Ragz on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It shows moving and/or interactive content on the rare sites that still use it. If you don't need it, so much the better; if you (still) do, better keep it updated.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

Well I'm struggling to know where the Adobe components are being used on my system.
I assumed that reading FLASH or an Adobe format stuff was done by independent Linux source ?

How would I find out ?

Does FF or Chromium use it somewhere maybe.
Lots of questions .

It just seems to crazy that for years now, both on Linux and Windows that barely a month goes by without another update
to fix ANOTHER 99 bugs.

Are these guys really so stupid, or as one poster mentioned, it just keeps these buggers employed to write fixes for the
newly bugs they built in ;-) ?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

punkbiscuit wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:57 pm It just seems to crazy that for years now, both on Linux and Windows that barely a month goes by without another update
to fix ANOTHER 99 bugs.

Are these guys really so stupid, or as one poster mentioned, it just keeps these buggers employed to write fixes for the
newly bugs they built in ;-) ?
You might also be appreciative for the efforts they put into keeping Flash Player as secure as possible. Just sayin'. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

You might also be appreciative for the efforts they put into keeping Flash Player as secure as possible. Just sayin'.
Oh - I have applied the update.
But one day it would be nice to know how to avoid using it all together.
No attack vector = no problem ;)
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

If you don't like Flash, turn it off.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

punkbiscuit wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:57 pm Well I'm struggling to know where the Adobe components are being used on my system.
I assumed that reading FLASH or an Adobe format stuff was done by independent Linux source ?

How would I find out ?

Does FF or Chromium use it somewhere maybe.
Yes. Like I said: it's used for certain websites. So, yes, that means in browsers.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
punkbiscuit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by punkbiscuit »

Thanks all.
I think I've worked out how to get rid of it.
Thankfully I don't think that any website I use actually uses it, so no loss anyway.
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:08 pm If you don't like Flash, turn it off.
How do you turn it off?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

tweetybird wrote:
How do you turn it off?
In Firefox, paste this about:addons in the address bar and press enter. Look for Shockwave Flash, click on the 3 dots, then in the drop down menu put a check-mark next to "Never Activate."

I'd recommend just uninstalling it though.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Schultz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:21 pm
tweetybird wrote:
How do you turn it off?
In Firefox, paste this about:addons in the address bar and press enter. Look for Shockwave Flash, click on the 3 dots, then in the drop down menu put a check-mark next to "Never Activate."

I'd recommend just uninstalling it though.
I agree about installing it. Despite the frequent updates suggesting otherwise, Adobe is often slow about fixing newly found security holes. Until those holes get fixed, the chances of a machine being compromised is greater.

Support and distribution of Adobe flash is ending at the end of this year. Since support for it is hit and miss anyway and almost no one is using Flash anymore, why not just get rid of it now and be done with it?
Jeannie

Ragz

Post by Ragz »

What is the alternative to Adobe Flash?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

There is no alternative (it doesn't need one :) ).

EDIT
Most websites now use HTML5 video, although I wouldn't call it an alternative to flash in the strictest sense of the word. Browsers can play HTML5 videos without the need for a plug-in.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

The problem though is that certain sites still require flash. I use a few myself and I'm not willing to give them up until flash comes to an end.

Return to “Software & Applications”