Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cdysthe
Level 3
Level 3

Not able to create tar.7z files with Fileroller

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

When I try to create a tar.7z file in Mint 7 Gloria 64 the archiver, Fileroller, crashes with this in the log:

general protection ip:7fafb8f84c40 sp:7fffc3202478 error:0 in libc-2.9.so[7fafb8f04000+168000]

This has worked fine in the past, and can create both 7z and tar archives standalone. What could the problem be?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Not able to create tar.7z files with Fileroller

Post by lagagnon »

The p7zip package is not installed in Gloria, which I believe is required for .7z archiving, so try: "sudo apt-get install p7zip" and then see if you can get fileroller to do what you want.
cdysthe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cdysthe »

lagagnon wrote:The p7zip package is not installed in Gloria, which I believe is required for .7z archiving, so try: "sudo apt-get install p7zip" and then see if you can get fileroller to do what you want.
Thanks, did what you suggested:

p7zip is already the newest version.

So it is installed. I can create 7zip files and I can create tar files, but not the combination which is what I want. I can create first a tar, then 7zip the tar, but I can not do both in one go like I can to tar.bz2 and such.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

Well why don't you try doing it with the command line (tar) and see if you get an error - that way you isolate fileroller -

something like:

tar cf - "file_directory" | 7z a -si -t7z archive.tar.7z
cdysthe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cdysthe »

lagagnon wrote:Well why don't you try doing it with the command line (tar) and see if you get an error - that way you isolate fileroller -

something like:

tar cf - "file_directory" | 7z a -si -t7z archive.tar.7z
It works fine from the command line (thank you for the syntax), so it's Fileroller messing up here. I know it worked on my old 32 bit Mint 7 laptop.
cdysthe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cdysthe »

I would like to bump this thread. The problem creating tar.7z from Fileroller is still present in Mint 8.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

You state that you have p7zip installed, have you tried installing p7zip-full from Synaptic ?
cdysthe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cdysthe »

richyrich wrote:You state that you have p7zip installed, have you tried installing p7zip-full from Synaptic ?
Thank you, yes, I have p7zip full installed. Without it I can't create password protected 7z files. I would prefer being able to create tar.7z files since I then will have file permissions preserved as well. I can do it from the command line, but not from Fileroller. I was hoping it was fixed in Mint 8, but it wasn't.

Return to “Software & Applications”