[SOLVED] rdesktop lags horribly after connecting to remote PC, and sound is lagging too

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Waka
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] rdesktop lags horribly after connecting to remote PC, and sound is lagging too

Post by Waka »

Hi,

I recently set up a Windows PC (did he say Jehova? :shock: ) and wanted to connect to it via rdesktop. The connection works, but the screen is lagging horribly. If I open a browser on the remote PC it takes over a minute until the background picture of the quick launch page is fully loaded. Other applications share the same problem, everything takes so long to finally be displayed. Of course it's really no use this way, so my question is: How to I reduce this lag?

Another problem is that the sound also stutters like crazy and my terminal get spammed with "Fooo!" log messages (I thought the rdesktop developers removed that message some time ago?).

Here is how I connect right now:

Code: Select all

rdesktop -u username -g 1024x768 -a 16 -r sound:local:pulse -r disk:tmp=/tmp -PzD winpc
I have reduced color depth to 8 bits and it does indeed help with the lag a bit, but of course it looks... not so good. I also tried various settings for -r sound:
-r sound
-r sound:local
-r sound:local:alsa
-r sound:local:oss

All with the exact same result: The sound stutters horribly and the terminal gets flooded with "Fooo!".

My systems: The main PC (the one I run rdesktop on) is running Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia with XFCE. Sound is working just fine. rdesktop is version 1.8.3, I installed it via apt,
The windows PC (the one I want to connect to) is running Windows 7 (I know it's no longer supported by Microsoft, but it's not connected to the internet anyway, it's just in my private network). The sound is working fine here as well, and everything runs smoothly. So it's likely not an issue with the remote PC.

Hope somebody has an idea how to solve this issue.
Last edited by Waka on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: rdesktop lags horribly after connecting to remote PC, and sound is lagging too

Post by Waka »

Okay, I found an alternative: freerdp. Everything works as it should. Sound works fine and the connection isn't slower than expected. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”