Replacement apps not installed [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Replacement apps not installed [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

I have recently done a clean instal of Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on which I changed the DE to Mate.

Code: Select all

“What’s new in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon“.
and
“What’s new in Linux Mint 19.3 MATE“.

Celluloid replaces Xplayer as the default multimedia player.

Gnote replaces Tomboy as the default application to take notes.

Gimp was ....... replaced by a much simpler application called "Drawing".  

Can anyone explain please, why I still have the original Applications installed, as the replacements all appear in the Software Manager ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Replacement apps not installed

Post by Hoser Rob »

You just installed the Mate desktop, which doesn't include all those apps in itself. Just install them???
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

norm.h wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:04 amI have recently done a clean instal of Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on which I changed the DE to Mate.
[...] Can anyone explain please, why I still have the original Applications installed, as the replacements all appear in the Software Manager ?
Really a clean installation from the LM 19.3 live medium?
I ask, because what you explain, the replacement applications are not installed automatically, applies to the situation where you in-place upgrade from 19.x to 19.3 using Mint Update Manager:
How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3 wrote:4. Add packages (optional)
Celluloid, gnote, drawing and neofetch were added to Linux Mint 19.3. To install these packages, open a terminal and type:
apt install celluloid gnote drawing neofetch
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Ah, I see now.............when I was installing I ran into a few self-generated issues which need not be described here :oops:
My second go at installing was from a Mint 19 Cinnamon cover DVD which I subsequently upgraded to 19.3 and changed to Mate.
So thank you for the explanation - I'm learning all the time from this great Forum.
I shall install using your 'apt install celluloid gnote drawing neofetch' and mark the topic solved.
Last edited by norm.h on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

norm.h wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 am My second go at installing was from a Mint 19 Cinnamon cover DVD which I subsequently changed to Mate.
So, that was not a clean installation of 19.3, it was an upgrade from 19 to 19.3. A pretty different situation, as you've seen.
Personally I don't think the Drawing app is worth installing... I've even installed the latest version and I can't crop with it to save my life. But you get to decide that for yourself.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Replacement apps not installed [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

I'll be 'having a play' later but when all I need to do is crop, I normally use Shutter.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Moem wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:52 am So, that was not a clean installation of 19.3, it was an upgrade from 19 to 19.3. A pretty different situation, as you've seen.
All I can say is 'fingers into gear before brain into gear' - it's an age thingy!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Replacement apps not installed [Solved]

Post by Moem »

norm.h wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 am when all I need to do is crop, I normally use Shutter.
For me, Pix is the go-to application in that case.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”